Do Subs need to be "matched"

vandec54

Hello All

I would like to upgrade my sub

I have read many posts that have been devoted to timbre matching speakers.

Do subwoofers need to be matched? or could I get any brand/model?

Suggestions? I see in another post a recommendation of a $2,000 sub, I would like to spend less.

Thank you

They obviously are a little easier to work with when they are the exact same. But they can be taught to play nice together. What sub do you already have? Can you assemble a sub box? If so I built four 18's for 2300$. They are much better than the 4,000$ I spent on dual Svs PB-13 ultras before. Link is in my signature.

Edit: I see your sub in you sig now. I'd say if you didn't want to build and you want new try the Svs PB-12nsd or maybe a psa xv-15. Both would be great for around 800

Edited by Scrappydue

• Moderators

I agree. Subs aren't timbre matched so you can use any manufacturer you choose. I've owned Velodyne HGS15's and they were great but a single RSW-15 sounded as good as dual Velodyne HGS15's so I highly recommend an RSW-15 if you can find one. You can EASILY buy one for under a $1000. I paid about 1/3 of that for mine. ;)

• Moderators

How did you go from a $2000 down to a $300 sub? LOL

I've owned the RW-12 and it is a descent performer but definitely not anything near the quality or output you could get for a $750 - $1000 sub.

I've never heard the KSW-12 but my guess is it would be between Minor and Big upgrade.

Edited by Youthman

How did you go from a $2000 down to a $300 sub? LOL

I've owned the RW-12 and it is a descent performer but definitely not anything near the quality or output you could get for a $750 - $1000 sub.

I've never heard the KSW-12 but my guess is it would be between Minor and Big upgrade.

He stated "I see in another post a recommendation of a $2,000 sub, I would like to spend less.". I gather from this that he never intended on spending that much. As he shouldn't :) Not when you can get the value of an RSW, IMO.

Here's my POV.

In a best-case scenario? No.

They need to exhibit the same phase response. For direct radiating subs, that means using the same enclosure type, tuning, and driving them off the same amp (where DSP or other filtering is involved)

Since it is often very difficult to source different size boxes of the same type employing different sized drivers but still using the same built-in amps (hence guaranteeing the same filtering scheme), we are left with the only option to use matched quantities for the best performance.

Could a mix of the same enclosure types from other brands work together in unison? ...Herding cats comes to mind. :wacko:

• Moderators

I took it that the OP was asking if subwoofers needed to be matched to the brand of his other speakers, instead of can you mix and match more than one subwoofer in a system. I agree it's easier to buy identical subs if you have more than one but if you only have one subwoofer, no, it does not matter what brand you choose. What matters is the performance of that said sub.

Most subs sound the same under 40 Hz and non- identical subs can be used with excellent results. Subs differ in extension and max spl for the most part. I have also used identical sub and it is not necessarily easier to integrated them IMHO experience. There are a lot of internet direct brands under $1000 that will do a much better job for HT and music than some of the Klipsch sub. Check out SVS, PSA, Chase and there is always DYI. The biggest thing is if you don't have one, get two, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

• Moderators

Most subs sound the same under 40 Hz

im not so sure about this statement. you saying that a rw-12d is as clean sounding as your chase 18.2 at 30 hz? cause i doubt it

Great point there. I would have to agree. Just don't see how an inferior sub would sound the same as a high end sub just because it's playing below 40Hz. I would think the opposite is true.

Hello All

I would like to upgrade my sub

I have read many posts that have been devoted to timbre matching speakers.

Suggestions? I see in another post a recommendation of a $2,000 sub, I would like to spend less.

Thank you

As others have stated, subs do not have to be timbre matched to your speakers.

Do you have a limit on size?

Do you have a limit on price?

Do you care if it's new or used?

Would you be opposed to building something?

There are few fundemental sounds from musical intstrument under 40 Hz and if the sub is not pushed into distortion a lot of decent subs sound pretty close. The quality of bass from most decent sub is related to setup and integration. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there are no difference, lol. One of these subs would be good right about now.

KSW-12 sounds boomy / Muddy, my brother in law lives 3 miles from me and owns one.

Roger

I had an SW 15 and that is exactly how it sounded. Flabby and sloppy. The first second I hoked up its replacement I was surprised by the difference. It was huge. Tons of tight fast bass. Definately upgrade.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns