Do Subs need to be "matched"

vandec54

Most subs sound the same under 40 Hz

im not so sure about this statement. you saying that a rw-12d is as clean sounding as your chase 18.2 at 30 hz? cause i doubt it

Great point there. I would have to agree. Just don't see how an inferior sub would sound the same as a high end sub just because it's playing below 40Hz. I would think the opposite is true.

Perhaps, but I was able to successfully integrate an RW-12d alongside a REL Storm III in my system with good results. That was only because back when Tweeter went out of business, I managed to score an RW-12d dirt cheap. Looking back, wish I also grabbed that RT-10d that was there as well.

I guess a lot has to do with your setup as well as how the sub itself sounds.

KSW-12 sounds boomy / Muddy, my brother in law lives 3 miles from me and owns one.

Roger

Yep! Sounds lousy but I still have it in the HT. The kids don't seem to mind it and I almost never use it.

You couldn't have said it better. My KSW-12 works, I can hear deep booming sounds but its distorted not clear good base

In response to CECAA850's questions....

Do you have a limit on size?

No, however, I prefer a box style woofer. The cylinder style of some of the SVS models I think would be bigger than my RF-3's which in my opinion would look out of place.

Do you have a limit on price?

Yes I have a limit on price, but I want something good. I think for $500ish I should be able to get something pretty good? But, if I listened to something that really made my N_ _ Ts tingle for $800ish I would do it.

I don't want somthing that is going to drown out my existing speakers. I have a good sounding system with ample power but they are RF-3's

Do you care if it's new or used?

New, please

Would you be opposed to building something?

The only things I like to build are pro-series Vodka and Diet Sierra Mist drinks :-)

Edited by vandec54

Most subs sound the same under 40 Hz and non- identical subs can be used with excellent results. Subs differ in extension and max spl for the most part. I have also used identical sub and it is not necessarily easier to integrated them IMHO experience. There are a lot of internet direct brands under $1000 that will do a much better job for HT and music than some of the Klipsch sub. Check out SVS, PSA, Chase and there is always DYI. The biggest thing is if you don't have one, get two, lol.

Dr. Geddes is a brilliant audio scientist who has taken a total systems approach or ROOM design, speaker design, with measurements and psychoacoustic testing with the help of his briliant wife. He knows his stuff.

BUT on the simpler approach of things, Two 10 or 12" subs in the middle of front and back walls will easily outperform a single 15" even when placed in a corner because of fewer peaks and dips, which can be huge with only a single sub. They don't have to match but it doesn't hurt if they do.,

• Like 1

There are few fundemental sounds from musical intstrument under 40 Hz and if the sub is not pushed into distortion a lot of decent subs sound pretty close. The quality of bass from most decent sub is related to setup and integration. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there are no difference, lol. One of these subs would be good right about now.

You really need to be able to "measure stuff" with sine wave sweeps to set things up right. But lacking those things, putting one sub on a front wall near center, and another, similarly, on the back wall, and running Audyssey EQ for only 3 readings (center of your face, and one 1 foot on either side of your head in the sweet spot) should give you optimum performance for critical listening.

Dr. Geddes is a brilliant audio scientist who has taken a total systems approach or ROOM design, speaker design, with measurements and psychoacoustic testing with the help of his briliant wife. He knows his stuff.

I have read Geddes paper and agree with his approach. I think his approach is especially good for music. He uses smaller subs in one of the paper, so for ht folks a larger sub may be needed. Asymmetrical placement will excite different mode and help avoid cancellation issues,

Edited by derrickdj1