Acoustics In 2 Channel Listening

jcmusic

I actually started by trying to buy a house that already had good acoustics...

The room I thought would work out turned out to be too annoying to treat acoustically, so I moved the system to the basement and it sounds way better down there. There's this weird paneling the previous owner installed to create walls for the finished basement....it turns out these thin walls have some awesome acoustic characteristics so there really isn't much that needs to be done.

i have 2 listening rooms of sorts. My main 2 ch rig is in my tv room with a 5.1 system. This room desperately needs to be treated, the la scales drone at high volumes. the room is wide and shallow. the couch is against the back wall and cannot be moved forward, so the sweat spot is just in front of it. if i keep this house this room is getting a major makeover. My second listening room is my theater room. This is where everyone congregates in my house when we have company. at some point in the night we turn music on and i switch the receiver to pure direct mode. This room is 14 x 14 sq and has a nice reflective 6 x 6 window on the back wall and a 8 foot opening on the right side. The L shaped sectional helps some since it covers the rear and left wall. Everything above the couch around the entire room is pleated velvet and the window gets covered with an acoustic curtain. This has helped the room tons. have i measured the difference? No, but my ear tells me it works.

Well I started down this road awhile back and I am starting to understand how it works but, this is a work in progress no quick fixes here. I have treated my listening room with some tri-corner bass traps and some monster bass traps also a couple frz panels for the first reflection points. The results so far are good I have actually sen and heard the changes I made come to fruitation, it is tedeious though so you must have time and patience.. Some of the key points are to get the ringing and reverberation down to a managable level, bass traps and more bass traps. Some EQing will be needed but, here is where you need to be careful, to much can ruin things and even clip your amps... I will try and keep this thread going for those interested and post measurements for all to see. Here is the flat measurement from a few days ago using 75db as a refrence point and 1/6 smoothing.

post-18877-0-71060000-1384962183_thumb.j

Edited by canyonman

What are you using for EQ? Actually, what's your signal path and speaker setup? Got any pics?

Instead of using smoothing to show the frequency response trends, I like to adjust the gating (I think REW calls it window) to filter out reflections. If you place the microphone right, you can get it so that there are no reflections in your measurement to get an idea of the direct sound arriving at the listening position. Then I'll compare that to a long window with no smoothing and get a visual idea of the long term behavior.....the waterfalls can be better for this since they'll give you some insight into the time domain at the same time.

Another thing you can do is to measure each speaker independently to get an idea of what the xovers are doing too...

What are you using for EQ? Actually, what's your signal path and speaker setup? Got any pics?

Instead of using smoothing to show the frequency response trends, I like to adjust the gating (I think REW calls it window) to filter out reflections. If you place the microphone right, you can get it so that there are no reflections in your measurement to get an idea of the direct sound arriving at the listening position. Then I'll compare that to a long window with no smoothing and get a visual idea of the long term behavior.....the waterfalls can be better for this since they'll give you some insight into the time domain at the same time.

Another thing you can do is to measure each speaker independently to get an idea of what the xovers are doing too...

Hey Mike,

I am using a Yamaha YDP 2006 parametric eq, the eq is between the pre amp and amp the speakers are khorns with 2" tractrix wooden horns and 2" BMS 4592 mid drivers. The tweeters are ATP200's and the stock 15" woofer, xovers are the A version of AL's Universal with all upgraded parts.

I tend to do more in my HT system. I've read up on REW, but so far haven't ventured past my built in Audyssey XT features. My in-progress 2-channel system is going to be nearfield (about 7 ft) and so hopefully I don't have too much that needs to be done to the actual room aside from some carpet and maybe a few panels for 1st reflections.