hating my comp and wanting a new one... :(

tpg

Well, ever since I got my comp and actually started using it, it has been nothing but trouble. The first day I got it I was blue-screened while typing a short story in MS Works. I want a new one, but for really cheap.

I went to AmeriComp and built a suitable all-around good comp for a bit under $500. The components are as follows:

Iwill XP333 mobo w/ 5.1 audio+ATA-133

Athlon XP 1800+

Volcano6 Cu

256 MB PC-2100

Mitsumi 1.44 MB floppy

40 GB 7200 RPM ATA-133

Chaintech 32 MB TNT2 M64

LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM

ATX Deluxe 400W P.S. w/ 2 front USB case

case fan

Multimedia keyboard w/ volume control

Logitech scroll mouse

$495.13

It sounds pretty good. The videocard will be swapped out with my current one. I have a geForce3 TI200 now, but it is having GREAT dificulties with my VIA chipset.... I get about 7 FPS in Counter-Strike. For the mean time, I will use the onboard 6-channel sound, since I DO NOT want my SBLive5.1 to come NEAR the new comp. What do you guys think? Would it be any good? Any other suggestions on a good comp (preferably Athlon XP) under $500?

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

Most parts are A ok for a El Cheapo(err inexpensive PC),the bad choice is the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu CPU heatsink/fan.

This lousy heatsink is all marketing and a NO show,you better add a few $(very few $)and get the quiet combo consisting of the Alpha 8045 and Sunon 35-50CFM fan.For about 20-$30 extra you have peace of mind and great quiet cooling.

The "DELUXE" "400W" case/PSU scare me too.How much is the case? Under $60 right,well the PSU is a low bro power supply and not a real quality 400W unit.For example if you pay a bit more you could get an Antec case with one of their True Power 330W PSU's,better quality PSU and has more power too(dont trust the 400W sticker on cheapie PSU's).

The LiteOn CD's and CDRW's are great,inexpensive and work like champs.LiteOn makes the best budget CDRW's.

BTW VIA chipsets have no issues with NVidia vid cards,if the latest aproved 4in1 driver is installed and you use the latest Detonator with DX8.1 you should be fine.

I have a Asus A7V333/Athlon XP2100+/1024MB PC-2700 with a Asus GF4 4600 and no game refuses to run or crashes.Its all stable,I use a Swiftech MCX462/Delta 80CFM cooling and a few Delta case fans(in Supermicro server case/triple redundant 500W PSU).Overkill,maybe,but the system runs 24h/day and is rock stable,and I do play games(Morrowind mostly).

Dont skimp on the power supply and the cooling fan(as Athlons run hot if not cooled well)

TheEAR(s) Now theears

While we're on the subject I'm building a new pc myself:

MB: Asus P4T533-T

CPU: Intel P4 2.53GHZ

RAM: 512 MB 800 RDRAM

CASE: Coolermaster ATC-110

HD: 2 40gig w/ Promise Raid Controller

CDRW: Plextor 40/12/40

DVD: Toshiba 16x

POWER SUPPLY: Enermax Whisper 350 Watt (might go to 400)

The rest I already have. SB Audigy w/ GTXP, GF4 4600, keyboard, mouse, monitor and of course my PM 5.1s.

It's been a real pain to find the case, the rest is good to go. Anyone know any places in Canada that carry Coolermaster cases? I also need a good quiet cpu cooler for P4. This computer is mainly going to be used for music listening, DV editing and GAMES!! cwm4.gif

------------------

AMD 1.9GHZ 512 RAM

Klipsch Promedia 5.1

Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

Windows XP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Sean_RESG:

While we're on the subject I'm building a new pc myself:

MB: Asus P4T533-T

CPU: Intel P4 2.53GHZ

RAM: 512 MB 800 RDRAM

CASE: Coolermaster ATC-110

HD: 2 40gig w/ Promise Raid Controller

CDRW: Plextor 40/12/40

DVD: Toshiba 16x

POWER SUPPLY: Enermax Whisper 350 Watt (might go to 400)

Where are you getting your hardware from? I'm in Toronto too, still shopping around for some good prices.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UT2003 is smooth at low rezwhen you start pushing 1280*1024 and 1600*1200 all detail maxed you will need at least a AMD XP1800+ or P4 2GHz or more with a GF4 4200 or more to get playable frame rates.This is only a minor issue if you have a 21" monitor or up.

I play in 1280*1024,its smooth and plays like a dream.Great for HEAD SHOTS supreme.

• 3 weeks later...

The new athlons rock. Last fall i built a new comp to use for 3D animation and rendering(and games). This is what I got.

Motherboard: Tyan s2460

Cpu: 2x Athlon Mp 1600+

Power supply: Enermax 430 Watt

RAM: 768MB DDR pc2100

Hardrive: IBM 40GB

Video card: ATI radeon 8500 w/64MB DDR, dual monitor out, s-video out

Sound card: Sblive(used)

CD-ROM: Sony 52x

Zip: Iomega 250MB

Floppy: standard

I ordered all of this along with an alienware style "hydraulic" case but when it came to my dismay the motherboard would not fit in the case, this was due to its larger size to accomodate 2 processors. I then ordered an antec sx series case and all was right with the world. I added in a CD-RW from my other comp as well as a promise ATA 66 controller so every IDE device is on its own controller. My little brother accidentally murdered my CD-RW one day with his knee so I have replaced it with a new ASUS 48x CD-RW9.gif

The only thing i really regret about this comp is the noise, your ears will thank you if you get quiet heat sinks. My heat sinks do the job but they sound like baby jetplanes under my desk. Why keep the sblive away from the new comp? I've never had trouble with either of mine. What OS will you be running? As mentioned the Liteon drives are a good buy, we got one at work this summer and its been great. I would also try and get one of the optical microsoft intellimouse models(you never know when those little goblins may come along and eat your mousepad),you can get a 2 button with wheel for about $20 last time I checked.

btw, maybe ms works was your problem 11.gif

Peace, Josh