Which Sub

botelerc

This is probably an no brainer, but which sub for HT use only. Epik dynasty or HSU VTF-2 MK3. in rosewood. I really like the rosewood. But only $50 difference between the two, the hsu being cheaper. Both used of course. Let me know your opinions. Thanks,

Chad

Both are good companies? I thought Epik was going under. HSU has been around a while and will be for the foreseeable future. Epik could be gone tomorrow and it wouldn't surprise me. Actually, I'm shocked that they're still selling subs.

I bought one of the Epiks when they went on sale last November. After Christmas, they were "Out of Stock" on everything. They claimed they were still in business etc., but I was and still am skeptical. I just looked, and in their News section they have a post from June 2013 saying we are here, and here is what you have been waiting for, and there is an 18" driver with no cone. Then I looked up the sub mentioned above and it can only be accessed from Google; it's on their product menu. What's more, it is "out of stock". All that being said, it's still questionable as to whether they are really still doing business.

It's too bad about Epik. Being good at business management and designing good product are completely different skill sets. Maybe Chad needs a partner with complementary skills.

I bought two Legends the end of last year. They easily EQ (SMS-1) flat (+/- 1db) to 25hz and don't even break a sweat keeping up with my Belles. Very little cone movement at comperable levels so presumably low distortion. I think they were a heck of a value for $400 shipped. I knew the track record at the time and it seemed a reasonable risk to me.

Having said that, I would readily spend much more for a high performance sub with the life expectancy and repairability of Klipsch Heritage. Why can this company get the sub thing right?

Sorry off topic, alcohol fueled semi-rant. Regarding the OP question. Assuming the low resale value of the mentioned speakers, how about buying both, playing around a bit and reselling the loser of that competition?

Also, the OP mentioned this is for HT only and getting down into the teens to fully realize current soundtracks is not easy or cheap IME. For example Epik claims “true 15hz or lower in-room extension” for the Legend. BS—not at a reasonable output level and that's with 2-12” drivers. I'm skeptical HSU can do it with one 12”.

So, anyway, as I said, if these are both local for you, I'd suggest you get both and play around. Above all, enjoty the quest!