Can I go wrong with a Denon AVR-3802?

kenratboy

I have been toying with the idea of getting seperates, or tube gear, but it just won't work for me.

On that note, I am going to devote my search to ~$1000 home theater receivers.

On the TOP (big time) of my list is the Denon AVR-3802. Is this (IN GENERAL) the best receiver in this league (I will NOT be looking at used)?

I know there are a few (or few+) people on this forum with 3802's, and for driving a pair of RB-5II's or RF-3II's, is this a good (better be great) receiver.

For the time being, I don't have a real listening room, my gear is put where it fits (speakers are 2 feet higher than I want.) Despite this, I can tell, my $300 Sony receiver is a POS, and it needs to go. For ~$1000, is the Denon my best bet?

THANKS!!!

P.S. The MSRP (aka, Good Guys price) is $1000. Where can I get it cheaper, with a factory VALID warranty? Or, do I need to barter with Good Guys?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

He may be in the wrong place, but his philosophy is right.

I wonder if that $1150 power cord will make a $1000 Denon AVR sound any better?

$1000 bucks would get you into Tubes big time.

But what does that matter, cause your house wiring sucks,your circuit box sucks, the wire on the power poles suck along with the transformers, and the power station sucks.

Your recordings have limitations and suck.

So I geuss there is no hope for the Illusion Engine.

Why not spend a $1000 bucks on some klipsch speakers?Wink.gif

To answer the question,

No I think the 3802 is the best reciever for the money. You really can't do any better. (I don't like the onkyo797, the other reciever that first comes to mind)

mobile homeless, where do you find all this 2ch gear at a price less then $1000 USD?? I have never seen quality 2ch gear in my life. (Only the internet) Can you even buy stuff like that at a store.

(I have seen some SS stuff) SOME

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

$1000 would be a START to mobile. Years later, after investing multi-thousands in audio equipment, you'll think that you could have had 80% of the sound quality for 20% of the investment.

Keith (working stiff)

PS> The 3802 is hard to beat. MO.

Sorry, the Denon has a fixed power cord. Better go for the Kimber Select speaker cable instead.Smile.gif

yeah, I think the Denon is good. Like I said in an earlier post, I NEED (as in require) to have digital in's. If I didn't, I would be getting old McIntosh gear.

Also, this isn't Klipschorn, this is RB-5II's, so I am not going to spend $2,000 on a amp for $600 (after barganing) speakers.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Keith, interesting comment. Yet, I bet my entire system (90% purchased used) cost less than a good portion of this forum's AV-HT rigs.

80% of the sound for 20% of the investment? Lord. Seems to be some nice convenient round figures that miss the point, unfortunately. Sadly, I cant afford to throw down $1000 on a receiver. I threw $100 down on a piece of equipment that, in two channel format, would walk all over any AV receiver I have heard (eico HF-81). I put down $900 (cost of my 2A3 Monoblocks) on amplification that would go to the next level. And I plopped a cool $600 down on some vintage Cornwalls and sold another pair of speakers for a PROFIT. Indeed, I doubt I have spent over $1000 dollars (figuring in the resale of my gear) in the last 10 years.

And what's with the "working stiff" comment? I would imagine that most of the unretired members of these forums are working for their wages. The "stiff" part is a matter of opinion.

BTW, that last 20% of improvement can make a hell of a difference, even to a working stiff...

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-08-2002 at 12:52 PM

kh, it took years but I finally(almost)learned it is a waste of time to argue anything audio.

Didn't mean to step on your toes but rather than offer an alternative, your comments seemed to be critical of anyone that would spend $1000 on a receiver.

My thoughts nowadays are that most 'working stiffs' would be better served by investing that '20% improvement' cost in a mutual/retirement fund rather than chasing audio nirvana. To use your words, "Man, if you only knew what $1000 could do for you!".

Have a good day.

Keith

Perhaps you missed my second sentence regarding the amount of money I have spent on my system, probably less than most have in the last 10 years (including yourself if I remember correctly). I do believe this is relative to the point, is it not?

As to suggesting an alternative, I have probably made more equipment recommendations and suggestions then 95% of the people on this board. This goes for gear costing less than $150 to 2000, covering all ranges.

kh

No,I did not miss your second point. As far as I'm concerned your expenditure's are not relative to Ken's original question. In his unedited( if memory serves) original post he points out that " I have been toying with the idea of getting seperates, or tube gear, but it just won't work for me.

On that note, I am going to devote my search to ~$1000 home theater receivers.

On the TOP (big time) of my list is the Denon AVR-3802. Is this (IN GENERAL) the best receiver in this league (I will NOT be looking at used)? " .

As far as the REAL COST of my HT equipment, I doubt if you have any idea whatsoever as to the amount I have spent because I have not tabulated that REAL COST myself. I also have no idea as to the amount of money I have spent on equipment that I have purchased for and given to my friends. Just in case that is relevant.

As far as your recommendations go, I enjoy reading them and am convinced that you have helped many people. And yes, your recent disappearance did not go unnoticed. Welcome back!

Keith

Thanks for the welcome back....

Yeah, you are right, I surely dont know what you have spent but I seem to remember a healthy listing of HT components.

Still, as you point out correctly, there are many ways to tackle this quest. And many, many more ways to spend ducats, making all sorts happy as clams.

This place is filled with a wide variety of opinions and experiences, as well as tastes. Yep, that's a good thing.

kh

I am going to answer Kenratboy's original question about the Denon AVR3802 since I have one, other opinions aside:

Kenratboy asked:

I know there are a few (or few+) people on this forum with 3802's, and for driving a pair of RB-5II's or RF-3II's, is this a good (better be great) receiver.

For the time being, I don't have a real listening room, my gear is put where it fits (speakers are 2 feet higher than I want.) Despite this, I can tell, my $300 Sony receiver is a POS, and it needs to go. For ~$1000, is the Denon my best bet?

For the price, I'd say the Denon AVR3802 is probably the best value for the money. It works very well with the RF-3IIs and I would imagine with the RB-5IIs as well. For a reciever, I found it to have a warm sound to it. I did get mine on-line for around $800 with the factory warrenty.

However, I do agree somewhat with some of the opinions on this thread. Personally, I would not spend more than $1000 for a reciever. Beyond that, you are now talking about territory that could be better served with good seperates (unless you get something like a Denon AVR4802 or 5803 for a really good deal).

To get to the point, yes, I think the Denon is a very good reciever within this class of recievers. I am very happy with mine.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

kh,

My husband buys almost exclusively used products and has spent a significant amount of money on our system. It has been so very worth it because our system is just fantastic. I would much rather watch a movie in our HT than in a theater. What I'm saying is that sometimes it's worth paying a little more. In the past I had a totally different opinion about this but have learned that there IS a difference.

Ken,

I really think the Denon is superb for the money. If you wanted to spend a little more I would say buy Aragon. They have a great sound.cwm4.gif

------------------

The token female for the Klipsch Fan Club Tour 2001

Nice to see the more clever sex respresented via this pathetically male dominated forum.

Still, I believe you misread where I was coming from concerning audio, or video for that matter. I was really coming from the 2 Channel frame of mind. You dont have to convince me that there is a major difference in audio with quality gear (sometimes money is no indicator here). I just believe ye olde 2 channel should get the go ahead first as music seems more important to me, although I do love film (see one of my signatures with links in this thread for the quality of gear - my audio system sounds better than 90% of the systems I have heard...at any price).

To get top notch, next level, sonics in a HT system involves SERIOUS ducats, mainly because it is quite difficult to crame five or more amplifiers along with a control center in a box with a mediocre power supply. Indeed, one high quality 2 channel amp of the SS vein takes up most of the size of an above average HT box. Actually, listening to music on even the rather expensive HT rig is a lesson in ambivalent feeling (on a good day).

Still, they do add quite a lot to the movie patrol. But as 2 channel, much is left to be desired.

kelly

ps - I believe I have exchanged several email with your husband in the past. I bought my Cornwalls right up the road....

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-10-2002 at 09:35 AM

Yeah, maybe $1000 (or $800) is a little pricy.

However, I don't spend/waste money. I feel bad spending money for somthing I don't "get." I went bowling with a friend, it cost $18 each (6 games) and I was almost sick thinking I was spending $18 to throw a ball onto the floor. To me, $18 is a CD, tank of gas, or somthing a little more signifigant to me.

I don't have a Mont Blanc, but I do have a Citizen. I ONLY buy what I want, if I will use it often, I will spend a lot on it. If it is somthing trivial, that is rarely used, I steer clear, or look for an alternitave.

I know what a dollar is worth, and I spend wisly. Dospite this, I will not rest until there is a $50,000+ German car in my garage.

Also, I spend ALL my spare time with music going. I spend most ALL my time at the computer for work and play, and thats where my stereo is. I turn on my stereo in the morning, along with my camputer, and at night, turn off my stereo along with my computer. Music and computers are a big+ part of my life, so I spend money on them.

Other things, like non-computer furniture, can you say MDF and deck screws?

Despite this, I still manage to live a fair and well-balanced life.

------------------

kenratboy, I have the Denon AVR-3802 powering RB5-IIs, RC3-II, RS3-IIs & KSW12 sub. I think it's a great system. I'm really enjoying the sound of both DVDs & music. With the music I occasionally use the DPL II, the 5 channel stereo & 2 channel stereo depending on my mood.The 3802 seems to be a very versatile receiver. The RB5-IIs sound great for electric & acoustical instruments. Enjoy the journey.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

Kenrat, why are you turning off all that solid state stuff? Yep, it is a help with the power problem but it's surely no good for your sound nor the wear and tear on your gear. I left all my solid state mess on unless it had a motor running. One, it stays warmed up and ready for the best sound. Two, you get more wear with the turn on cycle than you do with the stasis quality of gear left on (as long as there is good cooling).

Although I am not enamored of the computer as much as I make my living on the beast and spend far too much time on it, I actually leave that on as well, only turning it off to clear the RAM once a week. I have a 21" Sony Trinitron monitor that is left on as well but goes to BLANK (read "black") screen after 8 minutes of non use. AGain, I have actually found my gear to be in better shape leaving it on, not to mention the better sound qualities of being always warmed up. In my view, CD players should never be turned off (unless listening to vinyl). When I had my monoblock SS, I didnt turn it off unless leaving for vacation. They stayed on for years. Ditto with preamp with standby. The turn on surge puts FAR MORE wear on your gear (just think when does a light bulb usually blow; when you turn it on).

People always scratch their heads at this but I have been doing it for the last 20 years. Every SS amp I have ever had that did not get turned off NEVER went to the shop. Literally. My Rega Planet never gets turned off unless doing a really serious vinyl session and I am not wanting the slightest bit of interference from the digital player. And many would be surprised to know that I leave my 2A3 tube monoblocks on a majority of the time as well. I have literally had far more problems with gear either turning on or off or coming off standby (with amps).

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-10-2002 at 09:32 AM

kelly, i've always thought that equipment left on was more suseptable to power spikes & lightning strikes & such ie when the currents flowing to them. maybe wrong though. just seems right to me so i don't risk it.

btw, i never use the switch on my amp anyway. turns on/off w/ the dc signal from the pre/pro, which is always on power standby or on.

------------------

My Home Systems Page