Can I go wrong with a Denon AVR-3802?

kenratboy

If you feel bad about a lightning strike, unplug your gear. I dont have a problem with this.

Are you saying your amp is plugged into the back of your preamp/processor? OR are you referring to some sort of conditioner?

Personally, I like neither as I feel most power conditioners, even heavy duty ones, are not good sonically for the power amp. Preamp/CD player/TT perhaps. But not the power amp (many disagree in this forum).

On the other hand, if you are plugging ANYTHING into the outlets on another piece of equipment, this is a big mistake. Never run any of your gear from the back of a component. They need their own dedicated outlets.

kh

I took Kelly's advice, and have had my Yamaha on for about 3 months now.

No fires and the amp works fine, and we had a nasty lightning storm this last monday.

It's still hangin'.

The idea makes sense.

Now, the old vintage tube amps get turned off.

I don't like the cycling, but I would hate to come home to a empty lot.

kelly, oh yea the amp's plugged into the "high current"

outlet of the monster hts2500 power box. bet you love hearing that. Wink.gif its a b&k combo. the amp gets a dc jolt from the pre/pro & then turns on. so in essence the amp is in a low power standby mode (can tell by the slight transformer hum up close).

i remember that discussion well. i actually did some extensive a/b testing bypassing the power box & not.

i just couldn't hear any dif in the amp's performance.

sorry, but then again it is just mid-fi SS stuff here. cwm35.gif

oh & i should add i think my hearing's been damaged over the years. cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-10-2002 at 07:41 PM

Interesting thread to read back through. Since I have "no life" right now, it's been awhile since I've been on this forum. I've missed it.

I have a Denon AVR-4800 in the HT room and an Eico HF-81 in the 2-channel room. The Eico cost me about $350 which included a full Mullard complement of NOS tubes and sonically, it is in a different league than the Denon. However, it's kind of unfair to compare them because they are designed with different objectives. The Denon is basically a computer that handles just about any digitally formatted signal you can throw at it, and will mix in signals from a dozen different sources. The Denon is on 18 hours a day, and there are kids/adults parked in front of it watching everything from Barney -- The Wiggles -- Disney Channel -- Sponge Bob Square Pants (my fav) ... or the Matrix, Das Boot, True Lies, Eagles, etc. The Cornwalls, Belle, sub and Heresies are all acoustically balanced off the Denon and are driven pretty hard. It's a mother of a setup to install, but pretty easy to get right, and damn enjoyable to listen to. As Mystery Guest implies, it's a movie theater part-timing as the evening news. The Klipsch Heritage line just makes for a wonderful HT experience, if that's what you're looking for.

When I want to experience music in its entirety, and be spiritually moved, I go to the living room and warm up the Eico and crank up the Klipschorns (my wife won't let me leave the Eico on at night because it gets really hot and she's deathly afraid of house fires). Most of the music that comes out of that system makes the hair on my arms stand up and my eyes roll back. To Mobile's point (who turned me on to the Eico), the cost was very reasonable (and I set the record for the highest price paid for a -81 on Ebay). Between the Eico and the Klipschorns, I don't have $1400 invested; I did add Al K's $500 networks and a $700 CD player, but those were my choices. I've run a crummy 10-year old Philips CD player through the Eico/Klipschorn combo and it still rocks.

So perhaps it comes down to the semantic debate of HT vs. 2-channel. I find that they don't compete with each other at all because they serve different purposes. Two channel is where I find nirvana; 5.1 is where I have fun with kids crawling around in my lap and hanging with them or the missus on the couch Smile.gif

IMVHO.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD