For those who keep asking about streaming audio and airplay here is a video demo showing some basic operations. All audio has been removed to avoid copyright issues, so BYOAudio, The video shows the operation of airplay to airplay compatible receiver, airplay to apple tv, airplay mirroring, iTunes with airplay, apple remote app with iTunes and airplay, and finally airplay via the airfoil app for both windows and OSX to a vintage receiver connected to an apple airport express. The only issue i have come across is when using the Apple remote app's airplay controls. This only occurs when multiple airplay devices are playing and the computer is one of them. There is a lag between computer audio and the airplay devices. The devices themselves are in sync. I believe this has something to do with the source being a somewhat secondary device to the remote app and all other devices last in line. (network lag) Not a big deal if devices being streamed to are not sharing a room with the computers audio. I rarely use the remote app and when i do the computers system audio is not used. This does not happen directly out of iTunes. I only own apple devices so I cannot compare these devices to other devices on the market for you, my apologies. Hope this answers some questions any of you might have had regarding airplay.

• Like 1

Great video. Thank you for taking the time to put that together. Looks like a solution for what I want to do.

I see why you like Apple so much, it all works nicely. I need to look into this and see if my server and linux machines will play so nicely.

I have the whole house wired with CAT6, but how does the wireless do over long distances?

I assume that I can buy a tablet to control the whole system, hopefully not an Ipad?

How do you connect to the vintage receiver?

Does it stream high bitrate (lossless)?

Thanks.

Airplay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay

Airport express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Express

Apple TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV

I do not have any issues with network lag on the wireless end. My router is an apple timecapsile. This is the same as an AirPort Extreme but with a built in hard drive for wireless backups. This router replaced a linksys dual band gaming router that cost twice as much and only offered about a third of the performance even with similar specs. Apple claims a 5000 sq ft wifi blanket but I can keep signal in my yard and my neighbors yards with no problem. I added a first gen apple airport express to the garage on the opposite end of the house which extended the wifi but its main purpose is to offer airplay to my garage receiver.

Yes you can buy other tablets to control your server. ----Doubt it will offer airplay directly from the tablet---- CORRECTION airplay apps available in google play . I'm not going to turn this into apple vs the world but there are tablets, then there are iPads. You didn't skimp on the rest of your audio experience, why but a cheap bargain tablet. IPod touch or ipad mini are both around the same price point and a good start. Add a waterproof lifeproof case and the float for it and you have a remote you can throw in the pool and stream to your patio speakers. Lifeproof offers water insurance for $10.

For your linux server there are some open source airplay options though I have no experience with any of them to offer you much more then google will come up with.

The vintage receiver is connected to an airport express( latest version) via headphone to rca jack from the airport express' toslink port.

All of air plays capabilities are listed in the wiki link

Edited by McMiRA