Suggestions for speaker wire

I need a pair of 25' speaker cables. These would be the longest i have ever used so I'm mostly concerned with heir gauge being sufficient. Would a 12 or 14 from monoprice be ok?

I currently have a 8' pair of DIY StarQuad 4S11 but I dont want to spend that much on making these.

Cheap but works is my goal. I've looked at lamp cord but it just seems too small for 25'.

I run Cornwalls off a Panasonic SA-XR700

I need a pair of 25' speaker cables. These would be the longest i have ever used so I'm mostly concerned with heir gauge being sufficient. Would a 12 or 14 from monoprice be ok?

I currently have a 8' pair of DIY StarQuad 4S11 but I dont want to spend that much on making these.

Cheap but works is my goal. I've looked at lamp cord but it just seems too small for 25'.

Lowes sells speaker wire by the foot. That may also be an option for you.

Lowes sells speaker wire by the foot. That may also be an option for you.

I don't know what Lowes seller, but Home Depot used to sell 12 ga speaker wire in the 1990's that was guaranteed to turn green. Really lousy stuff. Home Depot also sells in wall speaker wire (grey sheeth) that I have had for almost 20 years and it is still good, no oxidation, etc.

I vouch for Monoprice.com as well. They are my go-to source for all things cables these days. And like tigerwoodKhorns, experience with Home Depot cables is hit or miss. I ended up replacing it all after mine turned green within a year or two. Next round was also Home Depot and was perfect (to this day).

Go with Monoprice and know you're getting great cables at a fantastic price. Also, while you're there, buy everything else :D

I vouch for Monoprice.com as well. They are my go-to source for all things cables these days. And like tigerwoodKhorns, experience with Home Depot cables is hit or miss. I ended up replacing it all after mine turned green within a year or two. Next round was also Home Depot and was perfect (to this day).

Go with Monoprice and know you're getting great cables at a fantastic price. Also, while you're there, buy everything else :D

I just bought a 30' CAT 6 cable from Monoprice for $5. I was explaining to my brother in law what monoprice sells. Monoprice sells all of the stuff that they try to sell you at an Electronics store that they mark up 200% or more and really push to rip you off. Cables, wall mounts, connectors etc.

Last time I bought a laptop the salesboy (much too young to be called a man) lookd like he was either angry or going to cry because I did not want a warranty that was 25% of the price of the computer. I didn't buy any cables either.

My brother sold cars 25 years ago and after work the salesmen would brag about who ripped their custome roff the worst. Don't be a chump for these sleezes to brag about while they do bong hits after work, get all of your accessories at Monorpice.

• Like 1

For 25' you don't need 12ga. You could probably use 16 ga. But..........

I use Home Depot low voltage outdoor lighting wire in the black shield (sold in bulk on those big rolls). I have used it for years and it doesn't turn green. It's heavy duty (can be buried) it's multi-stranded copper and costs less than most 12 ga. speaker wire. Basically 12 ga. zip cord same as what PWK used to recommend only heavier gauge.

I have some of the "turn green" Home Depot speaker wire. The low voltage lighting wire is not that.

I have also purchased a lot of cables from Monoprice and have been happy with their products too.

"Do you have the wire chart, or graphs, that are correct? Your statement is worthless as is."

The output impedance of amplifiers varies enough that a chart would be worthless.

I suggest calculating a DF of 20 (5%) based on the DF of your amplifier and the minimum impedance of your loudspeakers in the 100hz~500hz range.

Years ago I did this for some 4Ω loudspeakers I owned, and with the amplifier I owned, and it calculated out to no more than 15 foot with 16ga wire.

YMMV