Suggestions for speaker wire

"a metal coat hanger wire is as good as any expensive cable no matter what you think. I challenge any of you to a double blind test to tell a noticeable different between a metal coat hanger and your expensive cable."

Make it worth my time and I will take your money.

I use to think the same thing. Years ago I read about how great solid core wire was, so I decided to try some romex that I had. Hooked everything up and there was a huge difference in sound for the worse. I do not know the technical aspect of it, but it was awful. The midrange and high end was just sucked out, and much lower than before. I thought that it may have been the age of the romex (maybe 5 or 10 years old) but the Kimber cable from the early 1980's still sounded good.

I will also give another +1 on the Mogami. It probably will not sound any better than good copper wire from Monoprice (don't know) but the Mogami is well made, and looks and feels nice (also lies down well on the floor)and it is not too expensive (about $3 a foot for 11 ga). If going in wall with wire, the Home Depot stuff wit the gray sheath is very good.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Read Speaker_cables(3) and then work through the rest of them. Bateman is the real deal, it's hard science, and it can't be dismissed. If you don't do your homework I'll post his papers on capacitors, and I might even continue your torment by exposing you to Bob Pease.

Wire has resistance, capacitance and inductance - all measurable. The wire sits between the amp and the network. Well, it's not really "sitting", it's connected, so it's part of a complex system. Different wire types have different effects on the system. Some people can hear these effects. Bateman measured them and determined that coax makes the best speaker wire.

It should be noted that Bateman agrees with others who recommend Zobel termination as a means of minimizing transmission line issues that the amplifier/cable/speaker system could cause.

Bateman mentioned that his research determined short lengths of loudspeaker wire could exhibit transmission line behavior at audio frequencies, mostly reflections from impedance variation. Termination is how those issues are resolved in transmission line systems.

Edited by Don Richard

Some here get carried away with concern when all these things are discussed. There are some good points here to consider if you perceive a problem.

However, ALWAYS remember: If you don't hear a problem, YOU DON'T HAVE ONE.

Keeping that in mind can save you a lot of money...

Dave

• Like 1

I figure by the time I spent the money for tools, nice wire and hap hazard labor (mine) I could just delve out $150.00 for a 25Ft pair of Franks pre made 13AWG wires:-0

http://signalcable.com/classicspeaker.html

I use a $125.00 15Ft pair of his shotgun bi-wires and love them on my Nautilus 804's. I mean what's $125.00 on a $3.5K pair of speakers anyway! I won't pay stupid money for any cables (usually buy most of mine second/third) hand off A-goN. For the wire/cable nay sayers I will say a cheap pair of AQ Evergreen's sound nothing like nor as good as AQ Cobra's, Diamondback's or even Black Mamba II's.

My logic has always been stay within the 10% rule on cabling of nice gear. With that said I could have gone up to $350.00 on speaker cables on the 804's but why when I got a very good (well made and nice looking) pair for a Benji and a Grant:-) Sorry that would be for what the OP wants, mine were a Benji, a Jackson and a Licoln;-)

post-16574-0-70600000-1385588203_thumb.j

Edited by kaiser SET say