Heresy! I left my Heresys behind!

justin_tx_16

Sheesh, I always assumed you were from Justin, TX back in the day. Seems like you used to tell of all sorts of neat stuff your dad had around...

Quite familiar with all the drugs you listed as Texas Children's (which, I'd guess, you are overly familiar with) tried them all on my daughter.

So, what is your job? Glad life is great for you! We're always glad to have a prodigal return.

Dave

Oh well yes I am from Texas, born in Austin, raised in Bellville and Houston, it's just confusing because after that I moved to Missouri, my parents lost just about everything c/o Enron and the energy corridor crashing in Houston. They ended up in Tulsa. Now they live in Saudi Arabia, meanwhile I've moved around between the east coast and finally settled on California, previously wine country/San Francisco, now San Diego.

I get around!

I am a VP of Marketing for the largest independent broker-dealer. You can find out who pretty easily via google but FINRA/SEC rules make it hard to me to say much more. Seriously it's insane!

I went to a home theater store out here in San Diego and listened to some Bowers and Wiklins 683s and Martin Logan Motion 20s, both total around $1,500 a pair which is about what I want to spend. The Klipsch RF82-II are $1,200 pair which means I could add on a sub. I have actually never heard any of the new Reference as fewer and fewer places seem to carry Klipsch; at least at the big box places.

Does anyone have experience with the RF-82 II vs the B&W 683 or Martin Logan Motion 20s?

I remembered that you were in high school when I saw your name. Geeze, it has been 12 years on this forum. Glad to hear that your illness in under control.

If you are looking at 683's, I have a pair of B&W DM3000's that I restored. I recapped the crossovers, new fabric on the grills and some linseed oil and bottoms. They were about $2500 to $3000 in the 1980's and are insanely good, especially in the midrange. I went to hear them to check them out because everyone kept bashing B&Ws on here. I had no intention of buying and bought them on the spot after hearing them. I think that I have about $700 in them and will let them go for that. They will outperform the 683s. I am close by if you are interested. I wanted to keep these for a second system but then I stumbled upon a pair of Klipsch P37's.

I attached a pic of them from several years back.

FWIW, a pair of Fortes or Quartets are small enough heritage that should also work well for you.

Thanks for all the advice! Somehow the Fortes and Quartets never even came to mind with all of this talk. How much harder are the B&Ws to power than the Klipsch? The sensitivity difference seems to be pretty dramatic.

Meanwhile, good thing I didn't get any new speakers just yet! My apartment is currently flooding with hot water. One of the hot water pipes below/in the foundation has burst and my bathroom and back office are currently under about 1/4-1/2" of water. It's slowly creeping forward to my living room so my relaxing Saturday has become an exercise routine.

Never a dull moment!

San Diego and nearby communities are a hot bed for secondary market klipsch items... just wait it out and you will see something pop up on craigslist or recycler soon.

Sound advice.

I've setup an alert on Craigslist to monitor Klipsch. Might have to get a little smarter and filter out all the headphone and ProMedia listings haha.

So I might be moving. Came home to this wonderful scene. It's not often you can see my bathroom and office at the same time...

post-3211-0-74800000-1385871658_thumb.jp

This makes three homes I've had that ended up having major mold issues within the first month of living there. Boy do I know how to pick them?!

While that was happening I was on a search for Klipsch dealers here in San Diego. Basically there aren't any that have showrooms. I was blown away. Back in Texas they were a dime a dozen, here your only option is really Best Buy but that's limited to Synergy.

And that's not just Klipsch that is without a showroom, very few brands are represented out here. Focal, Paradigm, B&W and MartinLogan are available across three different shops but that's it. Sad.

I did try out the Paradigm Monitor 11 speakers today and was blown away at the sound for $1,600 a pair. Anyone put these up against the closest Klipsch counterpart, RF-82 II? I'd love to do this but it appears I'd have to buy the Klipsch and Paradigm then do the test. Lame.

Meanwhile, here is my sad setup at this point. Relatively sad I suppose.

post-3211-0-74760000-1385871863_thumb.jp

Though of course it seems everyone is in agreement that another pair of Heresy or perhaps the Fortes would be a smarter choice than buying new. But gosh, did those Paradigm 11s sound fantastic, even without a sub.

Here is what I left behind.

Kanto-Yaro-in-my-living-room-630x4191.jp

Edited by justin_tx_16

That is rough. Glad that you did not have any decent equipment there to get water damaged.

Seeing that HK receiver, I remember when you put that together. I think that you were the first person that Andy (HDBR) recommended the dual power supply HK receiver to, then they became really popular.

You like the Paradigms? If you look really hard for a long time, or add some to your budget to buy new, a pair of Klipsch P17's should be doable. I think the street price for new is about $2400. Expensive, but they can travel with you everywhere. World class speakers and obviously you hang on to gear for a very long time.

A local high end audio dealer, we need more here in San Diego, offered me $500 off a pair of Paradigm Studio 60s which has me really tempted! I LOVED the sound I heard from them when I tested them out last week.

I'm not totally sold on this setup but it's where I'm leaning now. Wish there was a Klipsch speaker in that price bracket of $2,000/pair. Something in between Reference RF7-II and Klipsch RF82.

The only reason I'm not leaning towards more Heresys is because I want a new sound, and the other Heritage is pretty large. My other concern with Heritage is from my experience, low volumes did not provide the dynamic range we all crave. I had to turn them up a good bit before it sounded the way I wanted, and at that point it sounded phenomenal but could be annoying to my upstairs neighbors.

One way or another I'm now debating receivers, Anthem MRX 510 vs Yamaha RX-A1030 vs Pioneer SC-1223.

OH man I definitely thought about the Palladium Bookshelf 17-B! They look beautiful and what I've read is pretty awesome. Sadly I haven't seen any near the price of the Paradigms, new they are 2x the price. Oh how I'd love to have something so fancy, sexy and apparently amazing sounding.