Whats old is new again

justinsweber

These motor boards have come out of retirement. I built these 5 years ago with my 1st project and they have say lonely waiting for someone to bring to life... Daves tweeter seems as good a reason as and. Prob will try the Dayton DC380... Seems I forgot, I cut the opening for the woofer too small. Some things.

Justin

photo 3

photo 5

photo 4

photo 2

photo 1

The general wisdom is that it should be at ear hight... so 32-36" or there a bouts. That said... the dispersion of the tweeter should be more than sufficient to blend in... ideal no, but more than workable and better than stock. These were motor boards I saved should even I find a PH800 horn... well the Eliptrac fits... Dave proved that last year... Now Im out to show that his new horn fits as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I actually started mounting things up and building the wiring harness. It always surprises me how long the little stuff takes. I end up using 12-14ft of silver plated copper with Teflon. Really nice stuff and completely over the top but why not. I did heat shrink each wire to keep them twisted, but didn’t take it the level of heat shrinking each connector. Ill post pics of my handy work late tonight. Last night ended with me flying home from visiting my Dad and getting the house back in order. I visited a friend and ended up taking a surplus chip amp home as a book end. From 12am-2am I was wiring and dressing the speaker. (Up at 6:00 and at work by 8:00am. I’ll be here in Adseg till 4pm and then off to the ER for another shift till 12am.

On the way home I’ll do a bit more handy work, probably drop in a woofer. I’m missing some thread on adapters, compression drivers for the tweeters… guess I could use the eminence I have on hand and 1 15” woofer… Seems a bit like Franken speaker but when done will sing like no other… Fatial HF200, eliptrac 400, Eliptical tweeter with D220ti and the debut of the Dayton DC380 15” 8ohm. I’m trying my luck with a 8ohm woofer with my set of DIY universals. The Cabs are 1” MDF that will need veneer at some point but should be a great road/ demo speaker for my amps.

• Like 1