The rebirth of the University Classics

Daan

The thing I was taken with was that you said you did this with your father, and your relationship was not great. I wish I had he opportunity to do something with my father with whom I have not spoken in several years. I hope things got better as a result of this project.

Well, we just celebrated my dad's 80th birthday and he's remarkably healthy both physical and mental. Our relationship has changed while we were working on the cabinets; from my dad always saying " you should do this that way"  to  " how do you think we should do this" .

Ofcourse he has years of experience working with wood beeing a carpenter, but I got newer tools which often makes things a lot easier.

He first surprised me by letting me put the cabs in his garage and parking his car outside, later he offered to help with remaking the cabs as well.

My mother loved to see us bussy and supplied drinks and food and we sat at the table eating lunch just like old times.... but for the first time I didn't feel like a kid but like a grownup [weird]

My father clearly respects me more like a adult now and we feel more at ease when we're together. Couple of weeks later I had a opportunity to thank him by buying a new set of loudspeakers for him as his old ones had dryed-out surrounds on the woofers and midranges. He never looked happier, now he listens to music again every day.

I hope you and your dad will come closer as well, most of my friends also beeing around their 50's don't have their father anymore.

He is the only one who can answer some questions you might always have wanted to ask; do it now as long as he's around !

As for the Classics; the way they are now [ two-way, active filtered ] they are the best sounding speakersystem I heard in my 30+ years of listening.

Thanks Moray for your support.

Nico

• Like 3

This story and Mallette's are the two bet thing I have ever read on this Forum or any other.
They certainly rank right up there with the best. My father and I got along pretty well, but he passed away in his mid '60s, the age I am at now.

Nico, I really want to build a set of the Classics. Actually looks easier than the LaScalas, and having the woofer able to play higher would be a real plus. I keep telling myself they are only slightly larger than LS cabinets.

Bruce

Thank you for your comments.

Bruce, they really are bigger than the LS's ; 106 x 83 x 60 cm compared to 60 x60 x80 cm for the La Scala's. [see picture]

Funny thing though is that when you cut off the parts that are empty like the rear upper corner and the lower part on the front, then they look more elegant and slimmer.

They are pretty easy forward to build, only part that needs attention are the angles of the first part of the horn. There are enough plans for building them available.

There is a reason why Paul Klipsch's latest system was a 2-way..... my Khorns do not sound so detailed and smooth like the Classics, and don't reach that deep.

If you think that I can be of any help when you are going to build them, let me know.

Nico

post-33317-0-21900000-1428002550_thumb.j

Edited by nico boom

And one picture for encouragement Bruce... this was the result before going two-way active. Using the "high-boy" configuration ,the tweeter is perfectly at ear-level when sitting down to listen.

Our youngest son seems to like them too, but for both sons there's already a set of Klipschorns sitting in storage.

On their 16th birthday  they'll both receive a set to enjoy loud AND clean music.

Their mother wants the Classics to stay in the livingroom.

post-33317-0-87820000-1428002879_thumb.j

post-33317-0-13340000-1428002896_thumb.j

Thanks, Moray,

I don't want o build the vertical one, but the Classic like Nico has. Does anyone have plans other than that single sheet one you can find on the net? I would like something a little more detailed.

Bruce

I don't want o build the vertical one, but the Classic like Nico has. Does anyone have plans other than that single sheet one you can find on the net? I would like something a little more detailed.

I don't know if this one has been mentioned before: http://photo.qip.ru/users/tda-audio/182333/3269763/#mainImageLink

I don't know if this one has been mentioned before: http://photo.qip.ru/users/tda-audio/182333/3269763/#mainImageLink

yes that is the Classic the Dean is designed to fit into a right angle corner or into a floor/ceiling wall position. There has been print to say the horn goes up to 600 Hz but I wonder how well that high but I would be interested to hear what crossover points people have had success with. That is part of the beauty of this horn it is easier to match up to a mid horn that is not huge. Best regards Moray James.

yes that is the Classic the Dean is designed to fit into a right angle corner or into a floor/ceiling wall position. There has been print to say the horn goes up to 600 Hz but I wonder how well that high but I would be interested to hear what crossover points people have had success with. That is part of the beauty of this horn it is easier to match up to a mid horn that is not huge. Best regards Moray James.

sorry to ask and I do wish to say that I know nothing about these speakers - why all the  hype about the University Classic -

sorry to ask and I do wish to say that I know nothing about these speakers - why all the  hype about the University Classic -

Good bass horn goes low and high which a Khorn does not. A number of owners who have owned Khorn and the University Classic have said the Classic beats out the khorn in the bass department and also plays higher the Khorn is getting in the soup at 350Hz with a k33 that's why PWK spewnt his life working on the Jubilee to get enough top end extension from the horn to realize a two way which the Khorn cannot be. Hope that helps you with the why part. Best regards Moray James.