Best center for RF-5

Loudly Does It

Hello all. Been gone for a while, enjoying my Rf-5, but now I want to upgrade the center channel for Christmas even though I think it might have to wait a little longer. I'm currently using my Synergy C-2. I have tried searching but can't seem to find any info on which one is best. I remember doing some reading before that the rc-7 or rc-64 or the best choices because there's no dedicated center for the rf-5. Is one of these any better than the other? Is it a personal preference? Thanks for the info everyone.

• Moderators

The RC-7 would be the best match for the RF-5. The drivers and tweeter would be a better match than the RC-64 but if you can get a steal on an RC-64, I wouldn't hesitate going that route either...but again, the RC-7 would be the best match.

The RC-7 is a perfect match for RF-5's it is one of the best front/center channel matches I've ever heard. The RC-7 uses the same woofers and same horn as the RF-5's but has a slighter larger tweeter which is good to improve voice quality the most important part of the center channel. Together they blend together flawlessly making a perfect match as audio passes among the three speakers seamlessly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys. Rc-7s are hard to come by. It would be best for me because of the set up I have. I have a cabinet that I built that will fit an RC-7. For an RC-64 I'll have to take the top apart and redo it or just take it off and hang the tv on the wall. I'll hang on and see if an RC-7 comes along first. Then I can focus on getting rears and pass on my ten year old quintets. The wife won't let me move them into our bedroom and my teenage son has been asking about them.

I originally wanted an RC 7 to go with my RF 7's. I looked for an RC 7 but, after 48 hours no RC 7. So, I got the RC 64. It works great with my speakers. I guess I don't have much patience, lol. An RC 7 will come up since it is near xmas and people will be getting new gear and rid of old gear.

Old gear=New gear for Moi!

You have no idea how right you are Youth. Buying lightly used anything can save you lots of money. With a little patience you can get good deals on anything online. That's how I got my RF-5s. The previous guy had them and wasn't using them and was moving away. I got them for a steal at $200. My current truck was 2 years old. It was a repo and has well over a 100k miles now. My boat was two years old when I bought it. Anyone on this forum that boats knows how much they depreciate too. The original owner of it lost more in two years than I have in the last 8.

• Like 1

I thought that the RC-3 II was a fantastic center and is still one of my favorites. I like the fact that it is a sealed enclosure making cabinet placement much better. I think i had my RC-3 II cross at 80 hz and it did very well. I also have my RC-7 crossed at 80hz i think because it was getting sooooooo muffled being in a cabinet. I also wound up plugging the ports. I had used it previously with an open back at 60hz and it sounded great. Environment plays a lot into things especially with dialogue.

An RC 7 will come up since it is near xmas and people will be getting new gear and rid of old gear.

People who own an RC-7 typically keep them. Not sure Christmas would make them all of a sudden want to sell it. ;)

"Oh Hey, it's that time of year again, you know, where I get rid of all of this REALLY hard to come across older gear and buy some new dime-a-dozen stuff!" ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would agree. I once heard the RC-3 with the RF-82 at Best Buy and the center totally sounded weak, less detailed and almost muffled. It's just not designed to be able to keep up with the RF-5's, RF-82 etc. The RF-3 is what it's meant to be paired with.