Best center for RF-5

Loudly Does It

I would agree. I once heard the RC-3 with the RF-82 at Best Buy and the center totally sounded weak, less detailed and almost muffled. It's just not designed to be able to keep up with the RF-5's, RF-82 etc. The RF-3 is what it's meant to be paired with.

Are you sure you weren't listening to an RC-35?

• Like 1

the RC-35 was a piece of work. At lower volumes, it was muffled. I did not like it at all. When you started to crank it though, it started to shine. Kind of has a slow take off like the 7's and their bass. For me, at the time, i was only 6-8' from the center so lower volumes were more common. I am in a room now where i am 15' away and have a huge open room. The requirements of the center would have changed drastically for me had I kept the rc-35 i had.

An RC 7 will come up since it is near xmas and people will be getting new gear and rid of old gear.

People who own an RC-7 typically keep them. Not sure Christmas would make them all of a sudden want to sell it. ;)

Exactly. I have two RC-7s and I don't plan on getting rid of either one of them anytime soon.

Anyway, to pretty much confirm what was already said in this thread, the RC-7 is definitely the speaker to get to pair with the RF-5s, assuming one can be found for a decent price.

I have both RF-5s and RF-7s in my rig and the RC-7s matches incredibly well with either of those.

Another RF-5....

Oldenough nailed it. Trick is finding space. Suffered many years without a matching center until getting a Projector & AT Screen. Lucky to have a room that allows 3 Big speakers behind a screen.

Even with an Academy or Heresy with Forte IIs combos never had a great center match until all three fronts are the same see these links:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

http://www.seymourav.com/centerbestpractice.asp

Edited by BE36
  • Like 1

Another RF-5....

Actually I much prefer my RC-7 with my RF-5's, they are almost the same speakers, same woofers and horn but a slightly larger tweeter in the RC-7. The RC-7's cabinet is much better suited for a center channel for both looks and not needing to have the display too high. Another RF-5 would work well behind an acoustically transparent screen but otherwise I feel a tall tower makes a terrible center channel speaker. As for matching the sound and blending together I don't think I have ever heard a better matching set of fronts and center as the RF-5 RC-7 combo.

Another RF-5....

Oldenough nailed it. Trick is finding space. Suffered many years without a matching center until getting a Projector & AT Screen. Lucky to have a room that allows 3 Big speakers behind a screen.

Even with an Academy or Heresy with Forte IIs combos never had a center until all three fronts are the same see these links:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

http://www.seymourav.com/centerbestpractice.asp

At one time I used one of my RB-5 speakers as a centre for my RF-5's, that was certainly an improvement over the RC-3. I have never found the RC-3 to be a satisfactory centre. I am still keeping my eyes open for another pair of used RF-5's, I will either then convert one to a horizontal centre, or use them in place of the rear RB-5's and use one RB-5 as a centre. I wouldn't make a decision until I have lived with it a while.

Another RF-5....

Actually I much prefer my RC-7 with my RF-5's, they are almost the same speakers, same woofers and horn but a slightly larger tweeter in the RC-7. The RC-7's cabinet is much better suited for a center channel for both looks and not needing to have the display too high. Another RF-5 would work well behind an acoustically transparent screen but otherwise I feel a tall tower makes a terrible center channel speaker. As for matching the sound and blending together I don't think I have ever heard a better matching set of fronts and center as the RF-5 RC-7 combo.

Both Posts are right:

1) Best acoustical match possible is to have 3 identical speakers, at same height behind a Screen - Like Most Movie Theaters.

2) If AT Screen/Projector is not possible a matching Center speaker is best.

My post is based on one priority - Acoustics.

As always WAF, Wife Acceptance Factor - wife's view of aesthetics, plays a role, along with fitting all pieces into the room.

I have listened to RF-7s in Stereo, great speakers. I would assume RC-7 is great as a center for RF-5s.

For HT I use the RS-7s as surrounds with La Scalas.

• Surprisingly good match to three modified La Scalas
  • Surrounds are not as difficult to match as front three speakers
    • ​For some reason sounds ahead moving side to side are easier to detect differences than difference from front to back or back to front.
    • In my system a RC-7 would probably be a decent match as a center but not as good as the RC-7 would match the RF-5s.
  • Like 1

I am still keeping my eyes open for another pair of used RF-5's, I will either then convert one to a horizontal centre

The RC-7 really is almost a horizontal RF-5, but actually nicer for use as a center. I really don't think making a RF-5 into a horizontal center will make any improvement as the RC-7 is already that good of a match.

Now for RF-7's yes converting one into a center is a great idea because the RC-7 is quite a different speaker than the RF-7 and though they make a good pairing they are not quite the same. But the RF-5 RC-7 are one of the most similar front & center combos around. They blend together flawlessly and at the same time probably benefit with the slight difference being better for each purpose as I feel the RF-5's a slight advantage as fronts while the RC-7 has a slight advantage as a center with the larger tweeter, together they make the best matching front stage combo.