Cornwall IIs news

Lemon string

The SS amps and avr's can deliver excellent performance

Some SS amps yes. AVR? Depends on what you listen for. These machines are fine for dinosaur stomps, car crashes and explosions. Music? Not so much........

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Shakey

I'd have to agree with this... my avr was good for two channel until i stepped up to the pre out option, then the truth became apparent, there is another level of resolution and imagining that is attainable. And with the addition of a tube phono pre, my eye balls began to pop out of my head.

The next step? I am having a new pair of highend cross overs being built by Dean.

Edited by Schu

To be clear, if you don't have a removable back on the Cornwall cabinets you aren't going to be able to get the Fastracs in there unless you were rebuilding the motorboard or performing other major sugery on your cabinets. Verticals also do not line up where you could install the Fastracs without holes remaining in the motorboard. This is not a problem at all! I would not hesitate to put Fastracs on top of the Cornwalls and that is where I had mine sitting. I was using the K55 mid drivers. I would not start down this road of changing mid horns without being willing to invest in a new crossover. IMHO the ability to attenuate the midrange is very important.

I was going to build a cabinet but I kind of liked the look as they were. This way you can decide how you like them before you make a permanent change to your cabinets. I prefer my soundstage up a little higher anyway.

Later, I built a small motorboard for the tweeter that I aligned vertically and allowed the driver to be aligned back with the midrange driver. I liked this a little better... the word that comes to mind is "focused."

I don't know how much of an improvement the Crites woofer is because I changed other things at the same time. I will say that of the 3 pairs of K33 woofers I have heard in different cabinets (the oldest are 45 years old) they are all in great shape and I have not noticed any difference between them! There is definately some variation between the K77 tweeters but I don't know about the K79's. I think this is why you get such different opinions about them compared to Crites ct125 and other tweeters. I've tried the K77, CT-125, Beyma cp25, and the B&C DE10 with the ME10 horn. Guess what... they are all good. Just a matter of what flavor of sizzle you like on the top end. If you are going to experiment with tweeters I'd suggest you need to have the ability to attenuate the tweeters on your crossover. I use the ALK transformer tweeter attenuators with the Alethia Super AA crossovers.

Pete have you done any mods on your II's? (Sorry, if you already mentioned in this thread) I'd love to build a pair of cornscala's down the road.

The cabinets are getting refinished now and I'm looking at installing the Goldwood 2" horns and I'm looking at drivers now and then I will have to call Dean and order another set of his expensive but tolerable networks once I decide on the drivers. All kidding aside, he built them for the Cornscala's and they are wonderful and every time I mention how great they are I get a $10.00 discount on my next order so I think he owes me at this point. :o

There is definately some variation between the K77 tweeters but I don't know about the K79's

I will double check this with Bob and Al, but I'm pretty sure the K-79 is a couple of db more efficient than the K-77.

I feel bad Pete, I pay everyone else $20 that shills for me.

I have an Adcom GFA 5500 that i have used on a few sets of speakers including my Chorus II's and La Scala"s.

There is no noise at all coming from the amp and am very happy with the sound quality.

I have also had many Adcom preamps, all have had issues including hiss from the speakers with the volume all the way down.

Currently running a NAD preamp with the Adcom and vey happy with the pairing.

Adcom made good and bad preamps. I have a GFP 750 There is no hiss from my Khorns with no signal even with the volume all the way up. This is through a Mcintosh MC7150 amp. I have used many combos and this is the first setup with absolutly no noise at idle. I would not condem all Adcom preamps. The Nelson Pass designed 750 is not average Adcom but is becoming more and more afordable on the used market. There is a reason it was Sreeophile class A for so many years.

I am late to the party here, but I need to recommend Musical Fidelity SS equipment. I have not tried their newest stuff, but the A308 series is just outstanding. Their lower lines from the same era are also very good.

I learned about Musical Fidelity from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio (tube guy). His advice was if you want the tube sound but no tubes, go with this equipment because it is voiced to sound like tubes. I have had this the A308 for a long time and it is my stopping point. I went with the KWP preamp and went back to the A308 pre and power amps. The KWP was just as good, but I could not justify the price or size so the A308 won.

I lent my preamp to a friend and he sold his tube pre and went with the A308 because it sounded more like tubes.