Cornwall IIs news

Lemon string

so I opened up the CW IIs last weekend to take a peek at which crossover is in there, i guess the II's came with 2 different versions. Bob said he would need to know which were present to be able to supply me with correct parts for a rebuild kit. I discovered I have the covers that mount to the back of the input cup. I also discovered there is no fiberglass or dampening material present. Is that to be expected?

Anyway I contacted Bob to order the rebuild kit at which time I asked him if the parts would come with any kind of instruction. Answer is no and he did let me know that it is possible to ruin the pc boards if one isn't careful while soldering. I am by no means an expert with a soldering iron. So I am looking for a bit of insight and advise from those that have done a crossover rebuild.

Can anyone point me to a source for instructions on removing/disconnecting the xovers? As well as how to execute the rebuild itself?

My other thought is to just send Bob the crossovers for an extra $50 bucks and not stress about the chance of frying the boards. But with 4 kids, an anniversary in a week and the holidays approaching $50 bucks has a bit more value than normal.

I think I might have Bob replace the tweeter diaphragms while he's at it. Figure if the corn walls are down I may as well make it count. I hate to have them sitting there inoperable though parly why I wanted to attempt the surgery myself..... less down time.

anyways thanks for your time, consideration and input.

cheers

"...The buzz/hiss I mentioned is present within in one meter but not from my listening position but it does make me wonder if Im losing anything in quality..."
That sounds like a normal level of hiss but if it is bothersome you can add a 3db attenuator on the input to the amp and knock it down. You can find an affordable set at partsexpress.

Bob has had great luck with his kits, I, on the other hand, have had so many negative experiences with them early on that I decided to stop supporting the DIY efforts of others. In fact, when I took over the Universal from Al, I asked him to stop offering the kits. Even still, I get emails and calls from people who have used his download section to get the data from the original version, and then quickly find they still need some level of assistance. I have to tell them that I don't have the time, which I don't. But it's also because I know once they get me on the hook, they can potentially tie me up for days in email and phone calls walking them through the process.

Before purchasing a part or kit, you should have the tools and skills necessary to do the work. Even when a good instruction manual is provided, this does not guarantee success -- a manual can't teach you how to solder (and all that entails), how to properly radius leads, etc. With that said, it is relatively easy to hack out a rebuild, but I don't want any part of that, and I don't understand why any individual would want to put something like that back into their loudspeaker.

I see many diving into this kind of thing, and then begin asking the kind of questions they just shouldn't be asking. If you can't read a schematic, follow and replicate the layout on the board, identify part values, understand what the parts do, how to properly handle them, desolder, solder, check the joint, crimp and whatever else is involved that I've forgotten to mention -- then it's probably best if you don't do it.

I really appreciate that Lemon String recognizes his limitations.

Now, you could start learning a few things, buying what you need, and practicing before doing the kit - which is pretty much how I started. However, a good soldering iron will cost you almost as much as Bob is charging to do the work. Many don't use enough heat, and end up damaging the parts or lifting the foil on the PCB.

"and then quickly find they still need some level of assistance"

A long time friend of mine needed a PA for his new band, they all live 100 miles away from me.

After many calls at work, a co-worker called me to the phone, "Hey, the band of idiots is on the phone again".

We all laugh and howl at some of the problems they get into, but the time factor is incredible.

Well I hear what you're saying..... I've decided to send them into Bob. I'd really like to give it a shot myself and gain the experience and skill but at the same point I don't really want to mess em up and end up having to buy a new set either. Thanks for your input I would have dove in with out and very likely would have regretted it.