Wright Audio Integrated Tube Amps

jvs1670

• 11 months later...

It seems to offer good value for the money, although their claim of 8 watts per channel is probably stretching the point a bit.  It looks like there's an input level control for each channel which is extremely important for creating a balanced stereo soundstage.  That is usually lacking in most competing designs.  And they offer (at least in their Ebay listings) a 30 day money back guarantee.  What kind of speakers are you going to use it with, how loudly do you listen, etc.? 

Maynard

Maynard,  Was a little concerned with the 8 watt output.   I want to use it with my 1978 Klipschorns, I want the option to take my avr out of the equation when listening to music and go for that magical sound I feel I might be missing out on.  I like some volume at times but not running at insane levels.  I listen to everything except rap and hip hop, mainly blues and rock with some heavier rock mixed in.    I'm totally new to trying tubes and didn't want to go with used equipment, so I'm looking for something in the sub $1500.00 range and still be wowed.    

Would love to hear you thoughts.     Thanks. 

Having K-horns sure makes it easy to go with very little power!  As to whether single digit amounts are enough, you need to have such an amp in your system to evaluate it for yourself.  In my experience it is very rare that more than a few watts is necessary with speakers having such huge efficiency (you wouldn't believe me if I told you the miniscule power of some of the amps I've done for owners of K-horns, LSs, etc.).  Also, going from solid state to SET is a huge jump, and I'd venture to say that once you experience it there will be no turning back.  Triodes can render a very magical presentation which is tough to duplicate with any other circuit arrangement (such as pentode or ultralinear).  Another, similarly priced, possibility is this from Decware which also offers a 30 day trial:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

So, I wouldn't hesitate to give one of those amps a try and, if you do, please post your impressions!

Maynard

If you look at Decware, also check the Mini Torii.  Only 4w, but slightly lower output impedance than the amp Maynard linked to, and probably a bit more quiet as well.  Good w/ Heritage.

And speaking of quiet tube amps, check out forum member Justin Weber's site ampsandsound.com.  A little different that what's mentioned in not point-to-point minimalism, but worth checking out.

I'm northern front range, where you at?

Edited by Ski Bum

Maynard,  Was a little concerned with the 8 watt output.   I want to use it with my 1978 Klipschorns, I want the option to take my avr out of the equation when listening to music and go for that magical sound I feel I might be missing out on.  I like some volume at times but not running at insane levels.  I listen to everything except rap and hip hop, mainly blues and rock with some heavier rock mixed in.    I'm totally new to trying tubes and didn't want to go with used equipment, so I'm looking for something in the sub $1500.00 range and still be wowed.    

Would love to hear you thoughts.     Thanks.

I did the same with a pair of K-horns in the HT . . . I use an amp switcher so I could use the K-horns for HT on the AVR and then tubes for 2 channel vinyl on the same K-horns.

I actually picked up an integrated Scott 299C freshly rehabbed by Craig of NOSValves precisely because ai did not want to try an off brand new amp . . . has been an amazing sonic marriage between the K-horns and the vintage Scott. I listen to just about every genre of music.

You might consider a vintage tube integrated rehabbed by a trusted tech.

• Like 1

Tube Fanatic:  Thanks for the info and the suggestion on the Decware, it looks like a viable option as well.  Whatever I end up with I  will try and post my thoughts.  

Ski bum:  Thanks for the input, I will look into that also.   I'm located in SE Aurora near Buckley Air Force Base, I'm guessing you are in Ft Collins?

I have considered going the vintage route as well but just not sure I'm able to determine value or quality with old equipment, If I pay too much and then have to add money on a refurbish I would be upside down investment wise.  Just not sure what to look for, but I wouldn't rule it out at all.

The rehabbed vintage approach is a great suggestion.  Such items are typically not too much to get into and they hold their value pretty well.  That's definitely the way to go if you want to explore pp tubes at minimal risk.

Since the Wright is single ended, I thought that that was more what you were looking for.  As Maynard said, single ended is a big jump from where you're at, and has more charms and flaws than pp.  With those, I would advise going with a domestic source (Decware, Ampsandsound) over an importer/marketer.  Or offer Maynard the chance to see what he can cook up for your $1500 budget, that would be pretty cool.

Longmonster here.  I hardly get down to your area, unfortunately, but there's another forum member with Jubs down there I've been trying to visit.  He's a SE newb as well.  I've got single ended tube trip toys to play with, which I would be glad to let you hear before you jump in financially.

Edited by Ski Bum

Tube Fanatic: Thanks for the info and the suggestion on the Decware, it looks like a viable option as well. Whatever I end up with I will try and post my thoughts.

Ski bum: Thanks for the input, I will look into that also. I'm located in SE Aurora near Buckley Air Force Base, I'm guessing you are in Ft Collins?

I have considered going the vintage route as well but just not sure I'm able to determine value or quality with old equipment, If I pay too much and then have to add money on a refurbish I would be upside down investment wise. Just not sure what to look for, but I wouldn't rule it out at all.

Just to flip the coin a bit...buying brand new you'll be upside down 25 to 50% the second you pay for it. Used purchases are the only way to minimize losses but that of course comes with a gamble.

if you're shopping around I'd also suggest looking at....     ampsandsound.com 

Justin Weber, the gentleman behind these products, is a great guy a forum member. I've had the pleasure of hearing his stereo 15 amp on my cornwalls and it sounded fantastic. I think you'd be very happy with his service and products.

Good luck with your search.  

• Like 1

Tube fanatic, NOS valves and my self have all made great amps for forum members and would prob do it again for anyone wanting.

The wright amp looks nice on the outside but not knowing the the circuit more always worries us on the forum. To echo previous posts there's a big difference in the characteristic sound of a set up versus a solid-state amp; with each having their own following.

• 3 weeks later...