RF-3 vs RF-5 Comparison

billybob

After looking at the specs on both of these, I wonder how much of a difference there is really between the 2:

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-3-floorstanding-speaker/details#specs

http://www.klipsch.com/klipsch-classic-rf-5-floorstanding-speaker/details#specs

Looking like there are small differences but, maybe a whole other world of sound.

In other words, is an upgrade to the RF-5 worth it? I am still discovering the RF-3's...and liking it alot.

Thanks!

I don't think the RF 5 and the RF 7 have the same tweeter.

They have the same 8" 90 x 60 horn, the tweeters are different, yes....Horns the same. RF-7 has a 1.75" tweeter, RF-5 has a 1". The larger horn on the 5 being larger than the horn on the 3, though makes it worth the upgrade, to me anyway, having heard both side by side. The RF-5 has the edge on the low end to....thats not just my opinion, its a fact.

Edited by philly0116

That difference in the Tractrix in the RF-3 and the 5, is a nice upgrade if looking and comparing. Four pounds weight diff. Larger presence.

And then the RF-5 has the same Tractrix as the 7. If correct in my understanding of what was said. Now that is significant.

Thanks for helping you all!

Yes, I am the original owner of my RF-5's never had an urge to replace them even though everything else in my system has been upgraded several times. I love the sound of the RF-5's I think they are one of the most balanced and natural sounding speakers.

The RF-5's sound considerably better than the RF-3's, better bass and much more refined detail.

The RF-5's have the larger horn as mentioned.

The tweeters in the RF-5 are different than the RF-3 as well, (same size but not the same).

The crossover of the RF-5 is different than the RF-3.

The cabinet of the RF-5 is larger than the RF-3.

The RF-5's have real wood veneer as opposed to the RF-3 having vinyl.

The RF-5's are made in the USA in Hope Arkansas, I am not sure if the RF-3's were or not, I think the Klipsch speakers in vinyl finish may all come from China.

Edited by Rich_Guy
  • Like 2

Appreciate all the feedback. Was not aware of the following of the RF-5. Nice endorsements. If then they are all that, that may be my next acquisition, instead of moving to the 7's next.

The Reference line have read alot about here with interest. Listening to the RF-3's for a short period, and from what is said, the RF-5's may be the next logical step for a Reference upgrade. Indeed, glad I asked. The RF'5, I was not fully aware of.

Thanks some more!

Appreciate all the feedback. Was not aware of the following of the RF-5. Nice endorsements. If then they are all that, that may be my next acquisition, instead of moving to the 7's next.

The Reference line have read alot about here with interest. Listening to the RF-3's for a short period, and from what is said, the RF-5's may be the next logical step for a Reference upgrade. Indeed, glad I asked. The RF'5, I was not fully aware of.

Thanks some more!

Guess the next is, are there any happy/content RF-3 owners' who feel no desire to upgrade?

Thanks some more!

Or you could jump from the 3s to the 83s like I did. Just try and find a pair and listen to them first. I have heard them side by side with the RF-7IIs and there is a difference. I haven't ever heard the 5s but I would think that they would have to be an upgrade over the 3s.

Ron

• Like 1

Was just looking at the pics of the RF83's side by side the RF3's. Congrats and hope you enjoy and enjoyed your roadtrip.

I try sometime to keep a progression so that I can check out what I want/need for my use. I am listening to 2 channel with my RF3's.

You have heard the RF83's along with the RF7II's?

Was just looking at the pics of the RF83's side by side the RF3's. Congrats and hope you enjoy and enjoyed your roadtrip.

I try sometime to keep a progression so that I can check out what I want/need for my use. I am listening to 2 channel with my RF3's.

You have heard the RF83's along with the RF7II's?

Right next to each other at Youthman's house. Both are exceptional speakers but they are different.

Ron

For me personally, if I had to have one pair of speakers with all things taken into consideration, size, etc....I would go with the RF-5. Thats me personally. I like the sound. That may not be the case for others though.

That's a pretty big endorsement considering what you've had.

Ron

All things considered. Size, price, etc. The RF-5 is a comfortable speaker size wise, not to big, not to small, great size horn and great lows. Very impressive soundstage and can be bought for half what the RF-83 can be bought for. I love the 83's and clearly they are a great speaker but theres a lot of places they wont fit mainly due to the depth of them.