RF-3 vs RF-5 Comparison

billybob

Had read *Youthmans' take on the 2 side by side. Glad you were there to check them out for yourself. Agree with much of all that has been said. The RF83's must indeed be an awesome. As I recall the shootout was close with the RF7's...

This talk of the RF5's I must admit has piqued my interest.

Meanwhile it may be fruitless to have asked about the RF3 regarding happy and content.

Appreciate all the feedback. Was not aware of the following of the RF-5. Nice endorsements. If then they are all that, that may be my next acquisition, instead of moving to the 7's next.

The Reference line have read alot about here with interest. Listening to the RF-3's for a short period, and from what is said, the RF-5's may be the next logical step for a Reference upgrade. Indeed, glad I asked. The RF'5, I was not fully aware of.

Thanks some more!

Guess the next is, are there any happy/content RF-3 owners' who feel no desire to upgrade?

I was content with the RF-3......until I heard the RF-5. Lol

• Like 1

I at one point, and may still in the future, wanted to sell my RF-83's and buy a pair of 5's and pocket the extra cash for another amp or something. The RF-5 to me is that good.

And a nice amp really brings the RF-5's to life!

Yes I agree with this 100%, I was totally amazed when I moved away from a medium powered receiver to seperates (luxman) and 120 wpc. I had kept hearing the "more watts is better" argument, and now I am a convert. The difference was night and day. Experimenting before purchasing the Luxman gear had shown me that the RF-5's did really open up and shine when driven with ample power. This of course would be true of most speakers, but it brought the RF-5's into another realm. Hence me keeping them all these years... :)

• 3 years later...

I Just , Paid $450.0 

For a Pair Of Klipsch RF3,s

They Are in Good Shape.

I Got Then Local from Some one I Know here in Atlanta 

That I Cycle With , Road

Bike Group Ride .

The RF3,s Are as Close 

As I Could Get to the , RF5,s

I Used To Own , 

The RF 3,s Hit Hard , And Sound Nice , but I Remember

The RF 5,s Where More 

Bright in the Trebble Area

Which I Like. Maybe one Day

I can Find a Pair of RF5,s , or 

RF7,s in the Atlanta Area or Alabama or close by. 

The RF3 Are Made in Hope

Ark just Like the RF 5,s , and RF7,s. 

I agree with the statements about the RF-5's in this thread, I actually like them better than the RF-7 II's I had and felt that they held their own jut fine next to a pair of forte II's. There is just something magical about the 5's and they have a very workable footprint for tight spaces. I think the 5's are the real "sleeper" of the Reference line.

I recently had a pair of the 3's and thought they were just ok. I replaced the caps and resistors in the crossovers and that really helped them out a lot but they still fell short of the 5's IMO but the gap was narrowed by quite a bit. The bass on the 3's got better after the re-cap but still fell apart at higher volumes. Probably the worst thing about the 3's.