Subs To Go With Khorns

jcmusic

Check these out. I would love to hear the 4 cubic ft. model. Somewhere around here is a build thread for one that looked sweet.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2.htm

If you have the space though the Cinema F-20 mates perfectly with the K-horn. Horn loaded bliss down to below 20hz. :emotion-19:

hey I know exactly how the 4 cu ft model sounds! Lol they are extremely clean subs with gobs of output.

He was looking for OTHER than horn loaded. The SVS PBU would work well. USNRET has one with his Belles, sounds great. Some of the bigger Velodyne servo subs would work too I'd imagine.

Exactly, I was hoping for something small if there is such a sub???

I've copy and pasted Hoffmans iron law for you, it states you can have 2 of these 3 things in a sub.

1) Bass Extension

2) Efficiency

3) Small Enclosure

So: You want small so you can either have Extension or Efficiency to go with that. That means having a small sub with a high excursion driver with mega watt amp (to overcome lack of efficiency) or a small efficient sub that won't go very low. For K-Horns, I'm assuming you'll want depth so you're going to have to look for something along the lines of a Sunfire type sub (Carver). Depending on how large your "small" sub is allowed to be, you might look for a used RSW-15.

He was looking for OTHER than horn loaded. The SVS PBU would work well. USNRET has one with his Belles, sounds great. Some of the bigger Velodyne servo subs would work too I'd imagine.

Exactly, I was hoping for something small if there is such a sub???

I've copy and pasted Hoffmans iron law for you, it states you can have 2 of these 3 things in a sub.

1) Bass Extension

2) Efficiency

3) Small Enclosure

So: You want small so you can either have Extension or Efficiency to go with that. That means having a small sub with a high excursion driver with mega watt amp (to overcome lack of efficiency) or a small efficient sub that won't go very low. For K-Horns, I'm assuming you'll want depth so you're going to have to look for something along the lines of a Sunfire type sub (Carver). Depending on how large your "small" sub is allowed to be, you might look for a used RSW-15.

Thanks so much for the info and trying to help out much appreciated, I will look into the Sunfire and RSW 15....

I guess it all depends on his budget and size limitations. The SVS is a couple inches larger in all dimensions and more expensive. You can get the DT for less than msrp, the SVS, not so. It all depends on what's most important to the OP. Size, price, performance? Was the DT that you heard set up properly?

Thanks so much for the info and trying to help out much appreciated, I will look into the Sunfire and RSW 15....

Don't forget the sub I put the link to in the above post.

I didn't I took a look at it and the specs, it is too big for what I am trying to do... What looks to be perfect size wise is the Sunfire True Sub Jr. the problem is I don't know if will work with the Khorns, plus I think I am gonna need to get two!!!

Have you considered having a table tuba built for you? They can be quite cleverly disguised. As a horn loaded sub, they would get along with your Khorns well.

The tuba Table is an excellent sub to go along with La Scalas/K-horns for music. Although it doesn't do much below 25hz it matches the sound of big horns perfectly and can be disguised as a piece of nice piece furniture when executed well. I built mine to sit between La Scalas, now it is part of my KG theater.

Edited by tromprof

I had considered those type subs earlier but, the realazation is that I don't have the room for anything that big. I have enough space on two sides of my room to install a small sub on both sides. That's why I say the smaller the better size wise but, finding a sub that small to intergrate with the big horns may be difficult...

I had considered those type subs earlier but, the realazation is that I don't have the room for anything that big. I have enough space on two sides of my room to install a small sub on both sides. That's why I say the smaller the better size wise but, finding a sub that small to intergrate with the big horns may be difficult...

The long version of the TT can be built as slim as 15x12 footprint assuming height is no issue + you can veneer to match your K horns.