Subs To Go With Khorns

jcmusic

I have a question for you sub gurus. I have a cove that is designed for older TV's (I have a DLP in there right now). When I redo this, I will add a flat screen and build a panel across the front of this cove. I will have a space behind the TV where a big Tuba HT can fit (the 36 x 36 x 24 will fit).

Will the vibrations affect the TV?

What will the exit need to look like? I ask because I can also build a long skinny tuba and put it under the fireplace and have a relatively big exit if needed (which I assume that I need).

Thanks.

The THT itself won't vibrate but I suppose a panel in front of it might, so hard to say. Now if you mounted the TV on the THT itself, that would be pretty safe. It it a good spot for a sub?

It is a good spot in that it is large and can hide the sub completely away without taking up any floor space. I am talking about mounting it up several feet off of the ground in a cove in the wall behind a TV. I can overbuild the panel for the TV to be mounted (probably out of 4 x 4's).

There is also a spot in the same cove on the floor under the fireplace. I can create corner more of a corner load there but it will take up space that I wanted to use for storage. The space behind the TV is completely wasted space.

I have a question for you sub gurus. I have a cove that is designed for older TV's (I have a DLP in there right now). When I redo this, I will add a flat screen and build a panel across the front of this cove. I will have a space behind the TV where a big Tuba HT can fit (the 36 x 36 x 24 will fit).

What will the exit need to look like? I ask because I can also build a long skinny tuba and put it under the fireplace and have a relatively big exit if needed (which I assume that I need).

Thanks.

The THT itself won't vibrate but I suppose a panel in front of it might, so hard to say. Now if you mounted the TV on the THT itself, that would be pretty safe. It it a good spot for a sub?

It is a good spot in that it is large and can hide the sub completely away without taking up any floor space. I am talking about mounting it up several feet off of the ground in a cove in the wall behind a TV. I can overbuild the panel for the TV to be mounted (probably out of 4 x 4's).

There is also a spot in the same cove on the floor under the fireplace. I can create corner more of a corner load there but it will take up space that I wanted to use for storage. The space behind the TV is completely wasted space.

Cool. Post a pic of the space in the context of the room!

Cool. Post a pic of the space in the context of the room!

OK, here it is. I do woodwork as a hobby, so I plan on moving the fireplace up about 16" and building a bench/hearth area. The DLP will be replaced with a flat screen. The cove is deep enough to hold a tuba HT. I can have it fire upward into the area above the TV into a small corner there. Or I can build a long skinny Tuba and have it under the fireplace (fireplace will be another 10" above the bench) and into a corner under the fireplace then out into the room.

What do you think?

post-8757-0-60920000-1385835192_thumb.jp

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

The Tuba can also be turned upright and blended into the decor. One member drywalled and textured a pair of them and added trim to the top and bottom. Nice work. They looked like a nice architectural feature in the room.

Thanks.

Not trying to be hard or anything like that but, the next time create your own thread or at least acknowledge the fact that you are in someone else's thread that is trying to get help as well!!!

• Like 1

In the pic you can see where the sub/subs would have to be placed... either in front of the speakers or under the FRZ panel or next to the album shelf.

Guys could he build a couple or have a couple or buy a couple of those Danley Spuds and use them as walls behind the Khorns.

In the pic you can see where the sub/subs would have to be placed... either in front of the speakers or under the FRZ panel or next to the album shelf.

Guys could he build a couple or have a couple or buy a couple of those Danley Spuds and use them as walls behind the Khorns.

I saw plenty of placement options but he seems to have his mindset on something small.

I saw plenty of placement options but he seems to have his mindset on something small.

Well those panels have to stay where they are in the pic same as the shelves, what other options do you see???

Well those panels have to stay where they are in the pic same as the shelves, what other options do you see???

Looks to me like a long style table tuba would fit under your record cabinet, maybe even a slim THTLP.

A pair of long table tubas should fit to the inside of the mains or maybe slide your stereo cabinet and the other things you have covered up to one side or the other and it should fit a THTLP.

A pair of Slim Table tubas could go behind the K-horns or in front.

Whats on the other side of the room ?

Table Tuba's can be built as small as 12"x30"x30" and the LP version 12"x15"x60" + legs if needed. Loaded with an 8" driver

THT as small as 15"x36"x36" or for the LP 15"x18"x72 loaded with a 12.

Take some measurements, one of these options will fit and blend better with your horns than a direct radiating subwoofer.

Not trying to be hard or anything like that but, the next time create your own thread or at least acknowledge the fact that you are in someone else's thread that is trying to get help as well!!!

Oh man, I'm sorry, I thought that your question was answered.

If you can hide a horn loaded sub like I want to do, go for it. Do you have a photo of your room? There may be a good hiding spot. If you went through the effort to make a room work with K Horns it will be worth it.

If you want a small sub, I use a JL Audio right now that should keep up with the k Horn well. It has a 13" woofer and puts out a lot of tight bass. Look for one of the small deep throw sealed subs that are based off of the Carver sub that started it all. There are a bunch out there now I think. They are small and go fairly deep, so they use a big amp to do it.

Carl also uses an infinite baffle sub that will work for you if you have an attic just above your room. Just need to build a baffle and grill cloth and you are good to go and no floor space taken up.

EDIT: Just saw the photo, a 30 x 30 x 12" tube behind the equipment rack will be hidden and really perform. Less obtrusive than a sealed sub out in the room.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Looks to me like a long style table tuba would fit under your record cabinet, maybe even a slim THTLP.

A pair of long table tubas should fit to the inside of the mains or maybe slide your stereo cabinet and the other things you have covered up to one side or the other and it should fit a THTLP.

Table Tuba's can be built as small as 12"x30"x30" and the LP version 12"x15"x60" + legs if needed. Loaded with an 8" driver

Take some measurements, one of these options will fit and blend better with your horns than a direct radiating subwoofer.

Do you have any pic's of these subs you are talking about?

Oh man, I'm sorry, I thought that your question was answered.

If you can hide a horn loaded sub like I want to do, go for it. Do you have a photo of your room? There may be a good hiding spot. If you went through the effort to make a room work with K Horns it will be worth it.

If you want a small sub, I use a JL Audio right now that should keep up with the k Horn well. It has a 13" woofer and puts out a lot of tight bass. Look for one of the small deep throw sealed subs that are based off of the Carver sub that started it all. There are a bunch out there now I think. They are small and go fairly deep, so they use a big amp to do it.

Carl also uses an infinite baffle sub that will work for you if you have an attic just above your room. Just need to build a baffle and grill cloth and you are good to go and no floor space taken up.

EDIT: Just saw the photo, a 30 x 30 x 12" tube behind the equipment rack will be hidden and really perform. Less obtrusive than a sealed sub out in the room.

I did for a minute think about IB subs I do have an attic directly over the room, I was think how hot it gets up there in the summer I just don't think anything could survive in that heat!!!

Do you have any pic's of these subs you are talking about?

I don't currently have any slim cabinets built, just 2 15" Table Tubas, one is a unfinished LP version but there is some generic pictures on the websight. The finish can be anything you want.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/TT.html

I did for a minute think about IB subs I do have an attic directly over the room, I was think how hot it gets up there in the summer I just don't think anything could survive in that heat!!!

Carl lives in Texas. I lived there years ago, 100+ degrees in the summer. Remember, equipment is designed to work in environments where we can never go. Think about pro equipment for a concert with black speakers cooking in the sun all day.

I have an attic over a garage in the desert now and it gets really hot up there. Everything that I have stored is fine. Same for my shed.

Reach out to Carl, he should be able to shed some light on this.

Yep, I've had my drivers with their backs in the attic for over 6 or 7 years now. I'd imagine 120+ degrees+ is the norm here in the summer. How hot do you think a parked cars trunk gets in the summer? You never hear of sub driver issues there. As a matter of fact, I've NEVER heard of a temperature related failure on a sub driver (other than voice coils burning up from too much current). IB's are the only way to go if you're floor space is at a premium.