Subs To Go With Khorns

jcmusic

Are there any subs other than Horn loaded that will be keep up or match with khorns, for 2 channel music???

We use a Klipsch RSW15. The good news: it "keeps up" with the Khorns just fine. It also keeps up with a Home Theater system made up of the two Khorns, a Belle Klipsch center, and two Heresy II surrounds. The bad news: it doesn't have the very tight, clean, precise bass attack that the Khorns have ... very few speakers do. We decided that when reproducing a "Bawoom!" sound it was best to let the Klipschorns handle the "Ba" (80 to 200 Hz) and the sub handle the "Woom" (20 to 80 Hz). Originally, we crossed over at 40 Hz, letting the Khorns handle all above. The attack was better, but the Khorns -- in our room -- have a little dip centered at about 70 Hz, so we returned the crossover to the Audyssey and THX recommended 80 Hz. It's interesting that virtually all of the sounds of the drum beater (timpani, bass drum) against head ... smack and punch ... occur above 80 Hz, while the growl, drone and hum sounds, including the fundamental resonances of deep drum sounds tend to occur below. If you do ever use this same system for movies, the RSW15 and Khorn combo provide tremendous impact, but REW tests indicate that the RSW15 doesn't do much -- again, in our room -- below 24 Hz. Amazingly, if not filtered out, the Khorns put out clean and strong sound at 30 Hz in this room, and also put out fairly clean, but very attenuated sound at the same 24 Hz where the RSW give up.

Klipsch, or others, may make something better, so it would be worth a look, but as you suggest, it takes a lot to keep up with Khorns.

Edited by Garyrc

Are those Fi audio? They are here in Las Vegas.

Those are Ascendant Audio Avalanche (XBL2) drivers. When the owner of AA (Chad Kuypers) went out of business, he sold the rights to Scott at Ficaraudio. Chad is the same person who owned Epik subwoofers. Both companies had sought after products and both went under.

I've bought half a dozen drivers from Scott, they're great drivers.

Here are the last two measurements of my room flat and adjusted by Eq. Looking at the measurement it shows the need for a sub or so I've been told but, listening to the system it doesn't sound like it needs a sub!!! Sounds awesome right now!!!

post-18877-0-78820000-1386597568_thumb.j

post-18877-0-20740000-1386597580_thumb.j

Edited by canyonman

You never know what you're missing until you use a sub. Listen to it for a couple weeks then turn the sub off. It won't take you long to realize the benefits.

Hi Carl,

I am sure you are right but, I need to get the mains dialed in properly first before I can add a sub, my plan is to add two of the SVS subs in the not too distant future.. Also I am gonna add two more panels on the ceiling to help with those reflections and then I feel I will be done with treatment!!!

Here a picture of the Danley sound labs spud. This is not my photo I copied it off the net from another forum(hopefully the owner doesn't mind me using it).

thats rmk from Avs. Those subs are long gone from his setup. JTR rules his room now. In fact he is selling his current JTR setup to buy their new flagship products when they come out.

No real reason. You're about 4 1/2 hours from me. If I had to be over there for any reason, I'd offer to help you set your subs up once you get them. I'd be forced to stop in Central Grocers for a Muffaletta while I was there. We haven't been over for a while and my wife's always looking for an excuse to travel.