Subs To Go With Khorns

jcmusic

Hearing that last octave is like having sex for the first time. You finally realize what you've been missing, without the awkward feeling afterwards.

Wow, do you start thinking about subs a lot and if you do not hear a sub for a little while you start having thoughts of subs every few minutes and can't concentrate on your work and get cranky, then you hear a sub and are fine for a few days and it all starts again? :huh:

Pretty much!

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any subs other than Horn loaded that will be keep up or match with khorns, for 2 channel music???

"Keep up with," yes, be as clear, precise, tight as, probably not. Non-hornloaded subs have a wide excursion which makes for frequency moduation (or "Doppler") distortion ... as far as I know, only horns avoid this. Almost all non-horn subs sound "muddy" compared to horns. My Klipsch RSW15 sounds inferior to my Khorns, but will produce matching Sound Pressure Level. With some music and most movies I use the sub anyway. With certain pieces of music, I turn off the sub and run the full range through the Khorns.

Edited by Garyrc

Alot of this would depend on your room size, my room is small 13X16X8 having dual subs makes it really easy for the subs to work properly. Also playing at a low level helps alot too, I don't think the subs would have a chance if I were to listen at loud levels. Not I am not saying they are as clear as a horn sub would probably be but, from 80hz down they do the job just fine... Running my mains full range proves kinda difficult with a 2wpc amp so the subs make up the difference...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey Carl,

Gonna be the SB2000's they are the max size I can fit in that space. They have a 500 watt amp vs a 300 watt amp, so should be tighter and puncher and hopefully cleaner. They also go lower, SVS told me the driver in these is a much better driver than the one in the 1000's!!! Using their upgrade plan I was able to get these for a whopping $388 total!!! This was a no brainer!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK an update on the new Subs the new Subs have 12" powered by a 500 watt RMS amp. So lots of power in my room and have two of them to smooth out the bass frequency's. The SB2000's go much deeper and are a lot cleaner than the SB10000's. Because of the design and 500 watts the bass is nice and tight the way I like it. The Subs are crossed at 80hz so everything above goes to the mains which has made a huge difference because of the 2 watt amp I use. I cannot say enough about the overall expirence dealing with SVS and their product.

Edited by canyonman

• 2 weeks later...

REW saves the day!!! i made a discovery the other day using the REW software, I had been thinking for a while why my curves looked better when I had one sub at 0 and the other at 180 degrees. Well as I suspected I found that the polarity in my pre-amp is reversed in one channel, this must have happened when I sent it in for an upgrade. Anyway got it sorted out now and all is well, the curves look like they should now. Flat bass from 80hz down to 20hz awesome!!!