What causes the "wrinkling" of Reference drivers?

BlackGTS

I've seen this on quite a few of the "copper" driver cones. Mostly on the 3 series it seems and sometimes on the 5s.

What causes this?

Ron

Have been wondering myself. My recent RF3 deal has one speaker that the cones are fine, and the other has one with the crinkle as you sau. That may be a better word in some instances as, dent may not identify it properly, in cases where no accident occurred. So, I am running one naked and other grilled up.

It's been stressed mechanically some how. The cone has traveled farther than it was designed to. Whether it was forced to from electrically induced over excursion or from a sudden fall/stop is anyone's guess. You'd think that if it was from a fall that both drivers would look the same though.

This is what one of my RF-3's looked like. I never had an explanation for it. I suspected abuse though. As ugly as it was it made NO impact on the performance what so ever.

THIS is exactly what I was describing. I have seen this on quite a few Reference speakers that have been for sale lately.

Ron

I have a very light crease in one of my RF-5 woofers, been there since the day I bought 'em new (got a good discount because of it)It has never gotten any worse over the years, and no others have appeared. Pretty sure it must occur thru bad handling, and is not an issue otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Very delicate indeed. My first HT setup was RF-3s. The day they arrived I was impressed with the copper cones.....tapped one very lightly with a fingernail....and that small dimple was there :angry2: when I sold them seven years later.

Tell me about it. I was putting my RC-7 up on the shelf above my TV, only to have my hand slip with my thumb going into one of the drivers. Put a huge crease right there in the driver. I was really pissed, as that was brand-new RC-7. However, it did not affect the performance, but still, I wanted to try to keep my speakers as pristine as possible. Did end up eventually getting a replacement driver and swapped that in, so it all looks new again.

Edited by skonopa

Most likely shipping damage or overstressed/over excursion. I shipped my first and only pair of speakers(RB-5's) to JTubbs a few years ago and they arrived in a very similar(worse) condition. :( Thanks Fed Ex for the $265.00 freight claim check. :D Believe it or not, I packed these speakers like I pack all my gear shipments, to withstand that infamous 6 foot drop(throw).

Bill