Eminence Beta 12cx

CANT

I remember seeing something about this series a while back that now seems interesting…

You see, I recently acquired another set of THSR’s. My last pair were THSR-2’s… so I had to build a set of crossovers more-or-less from scratch but adding the tweeter was easy (the THSR-2 uses the HII cabinet/motor board with only a small piece of ply covering the tweeter cut out). My new pair are the original THSR which came with a nice fully built E crossover but do not contain the cut out for the K77 tweeter in their HI cabinet/motor board. Because of this I’ve been going back and forth on what exactly I want to do with these… I could try to route out the opening myself but I’m not all that confident in my routing abilities? I’m also not a huge K77 fan and that is really the only thing that could possibly fit in that space. I also thought about just setting a tweeter of my choice on top but I would really prefer to keep the system self contained. Which is where the Beta comes in… I know I wouldn't exactly be using it for its intended purpose but it would allow me to add a tweeter without modifying the cabinet and the woofer doesn't spec out to be a bad K22 replacement?

I guess I’m just looking to see if anybody thinks this coaxial woofer idea is crazy or not?

An interesting Idea.

Altec did this with their 604 co-ax and a huge midrange horn.

The only real problem is some modulation distortion from the motion of the woofer cone modulating the sound from the tweeter. PWK did an article on the EV 15" co-ax vs the tweeter mounted in the box.

Guest David H
The only real problem is some modulation distortion from the motion of the woofer cone modulating the sound from the tweeter.

Dennis, I am not sure how much of a problem this would be with a Beta 12cx, the hf lens is located under the dust cap, and is small enough that I don't think it would make any difference.

Then again, what I don't know is a lot.

Dave

I don't have any experience with the Eminence variety, but I'm using Radian 5208Cs and they sound really clean to me. I am cutting them at 80 though, and offloading most of the work to some subs, so the cones aren't seeing a lot of heavy action. By design, and it works really good in my smallish room. I'd love to go the 15" version with the 2" exit driver -- that's gotta sound killer.

• 2 months later...

Well, it was a fun experiment but... no dice...

The woofer itself sounds very similar to the K28E but despite trying a few different network arrangements and tweeters I just couldn't get the high end to sound right...

On to the next harebrained idea...

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these to put in small sealed boxes. So u guys say there is an already xo...such as the one provided by eminence?

Did u use a resistor or lpad for the tweeter? Which tweeter? I have read of two different ones used on parts express.