Building a home theater around cornwalls

omar4

Hello everybody. I just got some cornwalls to start a home theater. I haven't heard klipsch before these. They sound pretty good. I was wondering what is the matching center, and what surrounds should I look for. I also bought a pioneer sc-71 to start.

• Moderators

Congrats on the purchase. There isn't a "matching" center per say since the Cornwall was built prior to the surround sound era. Some have used an Academy, others have used a Forte, Chorus II or if you have the space, a single Cornwall would be the best option.

As for surrounds, if you have the space, Heresy's would work very well.

• Like 1

Youthman is right another Cornwall would be best you can flip one onto its side to make a fine vertical version to help keep vertical heigh as low as possible should you have screen issues. In a HT you really want to build the system around the centre channel as that is the single most important channel/speaker in the system that is where most of your sound will be comming from. Heresy would make excellent surrounds as they will provide a great tonal match to the Cornwall and can keep up with them. You are bound to have a fantastic sounding HT. Welcom to the forum also by the way it's great to have you here. Best regards Moray James.

You can also run them with no center. In my 2nd system i run them with no center with great results. You would never know their is no center. I would get your surrounds and then just keep a look out for a 3rd corn.

Its only the most important speaker if you use one. It can be a weak link if you use one and its not up to par. But if you don't use one and your mains are really nice (like you have) it will be better than if you use one thats not as good as your mains (or really close).

• Like 2

• Moderators

The cornwall IS the center speaker... to belles/la scalas/klipschorns.

Is that what PKW made the Cornwall for? My guess is he made the Cornwall for music...but this is only a guess. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all of the Heritage speakers were designed with 2ch in mind.

I ran a reference center with Heresies, and Cornwalls it worked. But the Academy was a step up, my goal is to get a Heresy with the same tweeter and mid driver as my Corns, this will help alot. But yes a vertical Cornwall or if you have the space a regular Cornwall would be best.

Would the RC-64 or 62 get you in the ball park? I've got corns and would like to jump up to some 5.1 action. Not to hijack a thread or anything.

I think most will say no.But I ran the rc-64ii with the corns when i first got them and had them in my ht. I also ran a quartet but the rc-64ii is a much better speaker than a quartet so i would use the 64 if i had to chose one of the two. The rc-64ii is a great center cornswithQcenter.jpg

Edited by reference_head

Would the RC-64 or 62 get you in the ball park? I've got corns and would like to jump up to some 5.1 action. Not to hijack a thread or anything.

I think most will say no.But I ran the rc-64ii with the corns when i first got them and had them in my ht. I also ran a quartet but the rc-64ii is a much better speaker than a quartet so i would use the 64 if i had to chose one of the two.

Indeed surprising yet intriguing information! Was any AVR room EQ applied that might have evened out tonal differences?

Indeed surprising yet intriguing information! Was any AVR room EQ applied that might have evened out tonal differences?

Indeed that can be the case. It was and is in my system. I mixed various Icon speakers with my Reference speakers and everything seemed to work with good result and keep up with the other speakers. The room correction software is an important part of the HT setup.

Welcome to he forum omar4.

Edited by derrickdj1

We'll I'm not saying they are a perfect match. Just saying that I would take the better speaker in this case. It would not be my first choice for the Cornwalls though. Mostly because they look nothing like each other and would look funny to me. They do have a diffent sound but sound more alike than different. But I really think if I couldn't fit a 3rd corn I would use no center at all. I would want something that matches and is just as good as the Cornwall. And that would be a 3rd corn or nothing I think.

A reference series speaker would stick out like a sore thumb when paired with Heritage. Especially with side to side pans across the sound stage up front. It would only work if you can't tell the difference but the difference will be obvious. Don't get me wrong it will sound good it just won't match the timbre' of the Cornwalls.

The ideal choice is obviously another Cornwall, then a Heresy, original Forte' or Academy would be a compromise but doable. Bottom line is find a way to make it work, three identical speakers up front is the perfect sound stage. Better yet get Cornwall's all around and prepare to be amazed!

Thanks for the responses. Wish I could fit another cornwall or even a heresey, but not enough room. I have a 12inch clearance below the tv, and I only sit about 6-8ft away, so another cornwall in front would be too big. I'm trying to buy a mint pair of Frazier Monte Carlo's for surrounds. Would those work, or maybe as a center channel?? Problem is room size, only about 12ft wide by 20 or so long. Or, would RB-51 II's or Kg 1.5 work??