Beware! Credit ******...

oscarsear

Ayup............ for all the warnings - I got usurped. Got a call last night from Visa........ to confirm some questionable charge activity. My card data had been heisted and used........... only a single transaction and not for much $$$. But it happened. They tell me my card was likely photographed at a check out counter. These new phone cams have enough resolution that they can capture those little numbers on a credit card. They take the data and make a new bogus card and use it.

I keep my info pretty tight and was surprised to know I got purloined. Holidays produce opportunity, I was advised. You get into hectic shopping arenas and think less about the crowds around you. You become preoccupied with purchases and just pray to get checked out and done shopping at the store. Pay attention to your cards and how you deploy/display them. My penalty? Downtime on my debit card at the worst time of the year. Now I gotta write some checks. Be careful.

My numbers were stolen as part of a list of numbers that were sold by someone who worked for the card company. Their usual mo is to start with something simple, like a parking garage or meter, something small that doesn't require id, then they go crazy with it. I was hit for $3000 but my cc company locked the card when it was being used 1000s of miles apart within minutes of each other. Luckily my card covered everything and all money was replaced by the cc company.

Edited by McMiRA

I've only once had my card used by someone other than me. I didn't realize it till I got my bill and say a charge from a sporting goods store in France. The CC company reversed the charges and sent me a new credit card with a different number. I have no idea how that charge happened.

I have since learned that my card data base was purloined directly from the credit vendor that services one of the grocery stores I sometimes frequent. The company, URM learned that its systems had been breeched on 10/31 but for some reason did not place a fix until 11/25 and did not advise its various retail customers about the problem. So, in my case, there was no 'point of sale' culprit. It was a digital thief who got me.

Can you imagine using the Obamacare website knowing that it is a security nightmare? My identity was not stolen, just this one card. I'd never knowingly employ any system that I was certain was compromised from the get go.

A couple of more things to look out for...

1: Never pay anyone with a Debit card unless it stays in your sight.

2: When you give a Waitress your CC always check that they gave the same card back to you! There have been a lot of cases where they scan your card and upload the info at the cash register and give you someone elses card back so you don't know what has happened until it is to late.

I have since learned that my card data base was purloined directly from the credit vendor that services one of the grocery stores I sometimes frequent. The company, URM learned that its systems had been breeched on 10/31 but for some reason did not place a fix until 11/25 and did not advise its various retail customers about the problem. So, in my case, there was no 'point of sale' culprit. It was a digital thief who got me.

Can you imagine using the Obamacare website knowing that it is a security nightmare? My identity was not stolen, just this one card. I'd never knowingly employ any system that I was certain was compromised from the get go.

The document (it is long but has good information) in the attached link mentions that the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Clearinghouse collects and consolidates identity theft complaints and their data shows that credit card fraud, where a new credit card account is opened, or a 'takeover' of an existing credit card happens, is the most commonly reported type of identity theft.

http://www.vcsi.org/files/Cybersecurity%20Risks.pdf

We used to think about 'cyberattacks' as something for government and businesses to think about; however, these days it seems that everbody is a potential target for the hackers and anyone might be a hacker.