La Scala mods

charbuggie

Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for a little feedback from La Scala owners. I have owned the KLF20s and Chrous I in the past and was very happy with them. I finally found a set of Late 70's La Scalas close to me and bought them. In no way am I an audiophile but I do enjoy clean detail orientated music. The La Scala's that I bought need a tweeter and I bought the Eliptrac HF horn with B&C DE120 driver from ALK to go in them. I could not find a good used K77M square unit to go back with and I figured these would be great. The only negative thing is I thie tweeter may be a little two bright and I may want to sttenuate her down. These La Scalas also have the AL Crossovers that I need to replace. I have done some reading on a new crossover and I have looked at the ones from ALK, Crities, and Aletheia audio. The supper AA from ALetheia look like a great choice but for $925, I wonder if I could do almost as good for a little less money. I just want an upgraded good crossover that will work well in the La Scalas, and one that will work well with the Fastrac horn uipgrade if I decide to do that later. I have read the fastrac an upgrade is a great piece and is a must if you ever crank these units up.

I plan on using the Las Scala's with my Scott 299B and I also have a Scott 296 that I may hook to it for listening to music. I may wire it up and use them in my home theater setup but when listening to music she will be dedicated to a tube unit.

I am sure all of the crossovers listed above are good units and I wish I could listen to them but that is not possible, so I am asking for some feedback from fellow La Scala owners. In the world of modifying anything you find yourself striving for perfection and usually end of sinking a ton of money in it and could have been almost as happy with a little less expensive product. I have done this in hotrods many times. I am sure the Aletheia AA is the best based on what I have read, but could I spend less money and have greta improvements over the my AL crossover?

Looking forward to your comments.

On a side note, what subwoofer on the market has a good reputation for providing good clean base and work well with La Scala's? I have read the HSU products are great and the the Dayton kits work well also? I have no issue putting one together if it will save me some cash.

Thanks,

Rob

I was alway stold the horn subs were too much for home use.

I looked at this one and was told no way.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/pro-audio/folded-horn-subwoofer/je-36c.html

My friend recommended this one to use with the lascala.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15.html

My room is 530 sqft and 4236 cuft.

Another one I was thinking about was the this dayton.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs1202k-1000-watt-dual-12-subwoofer-kit--300-766

Edited by charbuggie

Rob,

I have a THT horn sub that is a perfect match to a LaScala, since it's the same efficiency. You can flex the glass in your windows with about 10 Watts of power. For sale in the Garage Sale section. $499. I'm in indy.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

That CV horn would not be a good match for the LaScala, it is better suited for pro use.

If Claude's Tuba HT is within distance from you it would be a great match.

Other good options would be to look into Danley products or find a local Bill Fitzmaurice builder and get a Tuba HT or Table tuba.

If you have decent woodworking skills you could build one yourself.

Direct radiating subs will work but will not be a sonic match, horns do sound different

Edited by jason str

Only since last week I removed the ALK Universals from my La Scala's ; best crossover for listening with low to moderate levels.

I've heard the steep slope versions but always preferred the universals myself.

Al does not make a secret about the crossover itself; you could build one yourself if the price is too high for you to have a set build by Aletheia.

As for a sub; I agree with the comments made, no sub will exactly match with a horn. Only sub that I found suitable enough is the REL STRATA III , which can be dialed in precisely where you want it; remember I play at moderate levels and at high levels there's no sub that can keep up with the speed of a horn.

[i ended up building a bigger hornsystem ;) ]

I have LSI splits with crites tweeters and crossovers. Very pleased with the way they sound off a 1950s Lafayette stereo 236a integrated tube amp. Have no experience with the other crossovers or horn mods. My only wish is they would go deeper, but moving myself around the room I can hear where they do play the notes missing from my seating position. Plan on doing the port mod next then playing around with room treatments.

• Like 1

The Super AA from Aletheia look like a great choice but for $925, I wonder if I could do almost as good for a little less money.

The only crossover I sell with that price is the Klipsch Type AA (modified), built using the Jupiter Vintage Flat Stack Foils with the zener diodes (as an option). Variations on this crossover for the 2" exit driver/horn combinations, using the same capacitors, are also being offered -- and the numbers are falling within the same general area.

The Super AA is a constant impedance design like the Universal, and like the Universal, allows the midrange to be attenuated without shifting the crossover point. This design will eventually inhabit two price points: There will be an "economy", or standard build, as well as a build using a higher quality capacitor.

The Universal in Al's download section is the first generation design. The latest version is the third iteration of that crossover, and though not wildly different, is not the same.

Sorry, I just felt that these issues needed clarification.

Edited by DeanG

• 2 months later...

Only since last week I removed the ALK Universals from my La Scala's ; best crossover for listening with low to moderate levels.

I've heard the steep slope versions but always preferred the universals myself.

Al does not make a secret about the crossover itself; you could build one yourself if the price is too high for you to have a set build by Aletheia.

As for a sub; I agree with the comments made, no sub will exactly match with a horn. Only sub that I found suitable enough is the REL STRATA III , which can be dialed in precisely where you want it; remember I play at moderate levels and at high levels there's no sub that can keep up with the speed of a horn.

[i ended up building a bigger hornsystem ;) ]

Are you planning on not using the ALK universals anymore? I only ask because i could use another set.