Started with 5.1 to 7.2 NOW 9.2 Surround!

elninoloco7

elninoloco7, what were your two old subs? By your picture I think they are the JBL that I have. I have never seen anyone with them, I bought mine over ten years ago, and just yesterday got a SVS PB-13 Ultra. Your room looks great! I do not have the room for wides but am considering doing the heights.

I believe they're JBL SP120II. They are fantastic subs (they are now in my living room), and were definitely under-rated at its prime time. I remember getting them dirt cheap too. Thy were very loud and filled my HT with bass, but anything under 25Hz it would distort at high volumes. I too have owned them since 2004 so roughly 10 years. The only issue i had with them is the rear port became loose so i had to use wood glue to get it to stop moving and making "chatter" noises.

I have never heard the SVSs in person, but i purchased dual PSA (The owner of PSA use to work for SVS and was apparently a main contributor to SVS) and my gosh was i missing out on the low frequencies. I had to re-watch some movies just for the bass. I'd imagine with the new Ultra you have you'd be experiencing the same thing.

Def jvc projectors are in to consider if light isn't an issue and black levels are important :)

Thanks, i'll look into those. I am trying to stay with DLP because of its output with colors that i have seen compared to LCDs, but we'll see. I am guesstimating around Summer time that i'll be upgrading.

Edited by elninoloco7

• 3 years later...

Awesome setups guys, I have the TX-RZ800 and it has the pre-outs.  I want 9.2 from this reciever.  I purchased the AMP 100 off of eBay for my amp.  How do I wire this receiver with this amp to get 9.2 and 7.2.1 Dolby atmos surround sound?  I would sure like a diagram if possible or just a pic of one.  Thanks a lot.  

18 minutes ago, Duggyhow said:

Awesome setups guys, I have the TX-RZ800 and it has the pre-outs.  I want 9.2 from this reciever.  I purchased the AMP 100 off of eBay for my amp.  How do I wire this receiver with this amp to get 9.2 and 7.2.1 Dolby atmos surround sound?  I would sure like a diagram if possible or just a pic of one.  Thanks a lot.  

What does your manual say?  What are the speaker options for that model?