Soundbar question: SB1 vs. SB3

stocktiki

Dear Klipsch community:

Due to a variety of reasons, finding myself selling my KG 2.2/KG1.2/KV2 setup. Primarily to save space and moving to a soundbar situation.

Want to keep with Klipsch, of course, so looking at the SB1 and SB3. The primary use is music at relatively low volumes -- plus an occasional movie and TV show. Will be plugged into the TV set directly -- and used with an Xbox.

Questions:

1. Is the SB3 really $150 better than the SB1?

2. Anyone notice the issue with the SB1 regarding the large jumps between volume? Is this solved with the SB3?

3. How do these Klipsch soundbars handle music. Decent range?

Curious on any impressions on these speakers. I've been a standard black-cabinet, Klipsch guy for a long time so advice from the community is much needed!

Thanks!

I can only tell you I have demoed the SB 3 at our local dealer and was VERY impressed. That said however, I really can't answer your questions regarding comparisons, $150 better or not, etc. I haven't listened to the SB1.

I have an Rf7 ii system at my house and I still found the soundbar to be remarkable at high and "normal" volumes. Very immersive for what it is. If you're going with a soundbar, I think you would be very happy with the 3. The 1 may suit your needs perfectly, but we tend to consistently run with the "bigger is better" theme in the home theater dept of this forum! :)

Just looking at specs - lower lows (28Hz vs 33Hz) on the 3 and more power (300w peak vs 250w peak) will probably be nice to have. You can always turn it down, but if it isn't there you can't turn it up and get it. Dimensions H and D are about equal the 3 is 4" longer so make sure you have space.

Good luck with the quest!

Thank you akdave:

Your insights are extremely valuable - especially since you've heard the SB3 in action. The SB3 sounds great -- and you make an excellent point about the lower lows.

Curious if anyone had heard the SB1s? Walked to the local Best Buy - but the SB1 wasn't plugged in. (Only Bose got the privilege of being connected) :)

Thanks Klipsch Community! You're making the pain of having to give up my KG series much less painful.

I would ask them to hook it up for you! They should be more than willing to do that for you. Its unfortunate bc they have an SB1 hooked up at my local bestbuy. Sounds good, I've considered going to a soundbar in my bedroom... but for the money you could put a heck of a 2.0 or 2.1 system together. You might wait and take a look at Klipschs new entry the SB120. I would think this would be a better performer if it works for your space. Good luck!

i think a sound bar with out a sub would only be marginally better than a tv set of speakers. nothing like having an actual subwoofer

+ 1 (I think it would be superior to the tv, but without a sub - you lose any wow factor) IMHO

Edited by akdave

Thanks to all the Klipsch experts here for great advice.

Went to the store and picked up the SB-1 (after asking them to hook them up). You guys are right -- the sub makes all the difference. It's really amazing! Very pleased. Just had a couple of questions:

1. The sub makes a subtle "roar" noise when it's turned up all the way. It's mostly noticeable when the volume is turned down. Is this normal or is there a defect with this unit.

2. When you move the soundbar from left-to-right and back again, it makes a rattling noise. Sounds like it has a "screw loose." Do you think this is enough to warrant a return/replacement, or is it minor and livable?

Thanks all!

Thanks to all the Klipsch experts here for great advice.

Went to the store and picked up the SB-1 (after asking them to hook them up). You guys are right -- the sub makes all the difference. It's really amazing! Very pleased. Just had a couple of questions:

1. The sub makes a subtle "roar" noise when it's turned up all the way. It's mostly noticeable when the volume is turned down. Is this normal or is there a defect with this unit.

2. When you move the soundbar from left-to-right and back again, it makes a rattling noise. Sounds like it has a "screw loose." Do you think this is enough to warrant a return/replacement, or is it minor and livable?

Thanks all!

Congrats on the purchase!

1. The sub is probably just distorting if you have the volume turned up all the way. At least that's what it sounds like by the way your describing what's happening. I suggest turning the volume knob to halfway and starting there, then you can increase the volume of the sub as you see fit.

2. If it sounds like there is a screw loose I would probably return it. Of course I doubt it's anything that's going to affect the unit's performance, or that you or a guest is going to pick up your sound-bar and shake it. At least I hope not. That being said, if you just bought it, there shouldn't be anything moving around inside of the cabinet and it should be a hassle free return for you especially since you bought it locally.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Thanks again for the update.

Regarding distortion on the subwoofer -- would this be present, too, when there's no audio playing and the subwoofer volume is turned up? Even when there's is no audio, when I turn the sub woofer volume up, there's a whooshing noise that sounds a little like busy freeway traffic. Is this normal?

Thanks all!