The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

How good are The Jubilees today?

Can some of you who has the Jubilee corner mounted post a measurement of your setup? 1/24 smoothing and a short description of the room would be great.

I'll share one of my CBTs in return, if that helps.....

My memory is getting bad.....was that the full anechoic measurement? The dip is much less when corner loaded.

We listened to a quad fifteen against this horn and it still couldn't keep up in the distortion department. That's something I still haven't wrapped my head around.

Yes, full anechoic against wall, but could have been short corner, I don't recall.

Can some of you who has the Jubilee corner mounted post a measurement of your setup? 1/24 smoothing and a short description of the room would be great.

Cask05_jub_only_spud_only_room_final.jpg

The light green trace are the Jubilees only in front of the TH-SPUD clones but backed-up against the front wall (see profile picture). The red trace is the raw TH-SPUDs in the corners, and the dark green trace is the EQed room as is. No smoothing. All measurements are from the listening position at ~1 meter from floor. The room's Schroeder frequency is ~100 Hz. Klipsch Jubilee two-way w/TAD TD-4002 drivers, active crossover (EV Dx38). Note that the room's modes are present in the measurements.

Room: 6120 cubic feet (173 cubic meters) -- 15.5'w x 10'h x 39.5'd, (4.7 x 3.1 x 12 meters, relative dimensions--1:1.6:3.9), short wall front. Auralex Sonofiber tiles to control early reflections, bass traps in front corners for mid-bass control.

Edited by Chris A

I really suggest you find a way to hear a pair and then you'll understand why there is so much respect for them.

I really suggest you find a way to hear a pair and then you'll understand why there is so much respect for them.

Agreed. It really is a great sounding horn. Even direct radiators that measure reasonably flat anechoically go to nuts in a real room below 300 Hz. This is why I use Audyssey XT as a "global correction."

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Bjorn

I dug this old "blast from the past" thread up and when you have time you might like to read many of Roy's comments about the Jub. Here on page 13 are his answers to the peak/dip region that you've been concerned about.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/75916-alternative-designs-why-go-jubilee/page-13?hl= alternative designs-why go jubilee

As you can see Jub discussions can be very lively around here since the beginning.

miketn

Again for what its worth, the Faital HF200 and Eliptrac horn have a very smooth tone. No beaming. I have a had an observation that they don't sound like horns. Try it, you'll like it :D

Cask05_jub_only_spud_only_room_final.jpg

The light green trace are the Jubilees only in front of the TH-SPUD clones but backed-up against the front wall (see profile picture). The red trace is the raw TH-SPUDs in the corners, and the dark green trace is the EQed room as is. No smoothing. All measurements are from the listening position at ~1 meter from floor. The room's Schroeder frequency is ~125 Hz. Klipsch Jubilee two-way w/TAD TD-4002 drivers, active crossover (EV Dx38). Note that the room's modes are present in the measurements.

Room: 6120 cubic feet (173 cubic meters) -- 15.5'w x 10'h x 39.5'd, (4.7 x 3.1 x 12 meters, relative dimensions--1:1.6:3.9), short wall front. Auralex Sonofiber tiles to control early reflections, bass traps in front corners for mid-bass control.

Thanks. The dip looks better here then the anechoic measurements. The link mikebse2a3 seems to explain why.

Here are measurements of my CBT36s with two bandbass subs crossed at 170 Hz. Each channel measured separately. Room is quite small, two big windows on one sidewall and with a sloping ceiling that comes down behind the listening position, thus creating some comb filtering above 1kHz that's difficult to treat. Turning the speaker the other way so the sloping ceiling is on the side of the speakers, evens out the response above 1kHz more. Room is otherwise quite well treated. I'm lacking a EQ band with my present miniDSP (waiting for a Hypex DLCP being finished) and that's why the treble falls so much. 1/24 smoothing.

post-57108-0-71540000-1386835884_thumb.j

post-57108-0-48220000-1386835903_thumb.j

Does anyone have a measurement where they have compared the K69 driver to a better one (TAD or something else)?

About a bass bin. I talked to someone who mentioned using what he called a conical front horn could be an upgrade from the V-folded one. A type like this:

http://www.horns-diy.pl/jhorn.html

It will not go deep, at least not one 15" driver, but should have a smoother response up to 450-500 Hz. And then I would need separate bass units from about 100-120 Hz and down.

Another solution could be to build a sealed box formed to fit a corner using two 12" drivers. JBL 2204/2206 or GPA 414 are drivers that can be utilized.

Any comments on this?

About a bass bin. I talked to someone who mentioned using what he called a conical front horn could be an upgrade from the V-folded one. A type like this:

http://www.horns-diy.pl/jhorn.html

It will not go deep, at least not one 15" driver, but should have a smoother response up to 450-500 Hz. And then I would need separate bass units from about 100-120 Hz and down.

Another solution could be to build a sealed box formed to fit a corner using two 12" drivers. JBL 2204/2206 or GPA 414 are drivers that can be utilized.

Any comments on this?

Yes, the horn's too short. It's strictly midbass, so it's pretty narrow band. I started out with a 4-way with Large VMPS bass reflex subs that I corner loaded. Now I'm down to 3-way with Super Spuds, and may get to 2 way Jubes at some point. But I have to finish building my own bass horns first, which are flat from 60 to 400 in Hornresp. So unless you want to end up with a tall stack or a "tree" full of short horns and direct radiators......you are better off with other solutions. I went to Panacea Engineering (Klipsch Pro Dealer) and heard W.C. Golden Jube 2-ways with the Fastrac Horn and they were impressive.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

"Any comments on this?"

That small of a horn will be lucky to do 200hz.

"Does anyone have a measurement where they have compared the K69 driver to a better one (TAD or something else)? "

The JBL 2431/32/35 all use the same parts, except the diaphragm (aluminum, titanium, beryllium). They all measure the same. They all sound different.

Autotech tells me the J-horn can do 80-600 Hz or 60-600 Hz dependent on the driver. I'll check it more out. They didn't have any data......

I doubt the K402 will measure exactly the same with K69 vs. something like TAD 4002 driver. I'm expecting a smoothing response with a better driver. The frequency response posted here with K69 is quite uneven. What's difficult to know without having measurement of different drivers is how much is related to the horn and to the driver. Making it three-way, would by the way make it more even but witht other compromises.

Bjorn,

If you can get to Slough England (Just outside of London) or Cologne / Koln Germany, there are fine gents there that own Jubilee's and would probably love to show them off. The fine chap in Slough (Ralph) can / has ordered at least one pair for someone else who lives near London, I think his name is Sy (?).

These guys are right, hearing is believing.

Side comment per Claude's camera lens statement..... I see he's finally learned to operate a point & shoot camera, that's a good thing! Baby steps Claude, baby steps..... :P

Bjorn

I can understand by own experiences how difficult it is to plan or built up a system when you have no chance to listen to it.

You are very heartily invited to visit me in Cologne. What I can offer is

Jubilees bass bins

K402 horns

TAD 4002 and in comparison standard K69 with Yamaha SP2060 DSP, active xover

Faital HF200 with Bob Crites passive Xover (Roy´s design with Bob´s adaption to the easier to drive Faitals on the K402)

front end: Oracle Delphi MKV turntable (MC with EAR step up) and Meridian G08

Pre: MC C22CE or EAR 864

Power: MC275 (stand alone passive set up, or going active via SP2060 with additional Quad II driving the tweeters)

Nice drinks, food, and a sleeping room for you

Let me know

Heinz

Bjorn,

If you can get to Slough England (Just outside of London) or Cologne / Koln Germany, there are fine gents there that own Jubilee's and would probably love to show them off. The fine chap in Slough (Ralph) can / has ordered at least one pair for someone else who lives near London, I think his name is Sy (?).

These guys are right, hearing is believing.

Side comment per Claude's camera lens statement..... I see he's finally learned to operate a point & shoot camera, that's a good thing! Baby steps Claude, baby steps..... :P

Bjorn

I can understand by own experiences how difficult it is to plan or built up a system when you have no chance to listen to it.

You are very heartily invited to visit me in Cologne. What I can offer is

Jubilees bass bins

K402 horns

TAD 4002 and in comparison standard K69 with Yamaha SP2060 DSP, active xover

Faital HF200 with Bob Crites passive Xover (Roy´s design with Bob´s adaption to the easier to drive Faitals on the K402)

front end: Oracle Delphi MKV turntable (MC with EAR step up) and Meridian G08

Pre: MC C22CE or EAR 864

Power: MC275 (stand alone passive set up, or going active via SP2060 with additional Quad II driving the tweeters)

Nice drinks, food, and a sleeping room for you

Let me know

Heinz

My prediction is .... If Bjorn takes up Heinz on his very generous offer, he will be placing his order for Jubilees within an hour afterwards.

Heinz you are certainly a great guy for helping out like this.

Good luck to the both of you,

-Tom

Haven't talked with you in awhile Heinz...... I hope all is well with you..!

You've got plenty of setup options to play with now I see... :)

miketn

Hi Mike,

thanks, I'm doing well. By chance in 2008 my Jubs were delivered with the wrong K402 drivers, the 1133. As no one wanted them back after I got the right K69 from Klipsch I'm wondering how the 1133 would sound if I just had a K510 in addition to try a three way set up.... Anyway, when I listened first to the 1133 with the wrong settings (settings were made of course to drive the K69) I still can remember that it sounded harsh and not fitting, but with the best low freq. quality firing the K402 in any comparison with the drivers mentioned in my last post.

Anyone who can borrow K510 for a try.

Wow Heinz.....if Bjorn can't make it I'll take his place :)

wow, no kidding. If I din't already own K402's, I'd be using some frequent flyer miles and stretching the trip to see all of what else Germany has to offer, including great beers.

Haven't talked with you in awhile Heinz...... I hope all is well with you..!

You've got plenty of setup options to play with now I see... :)

miketn

No kidding. It's Jubilee toyland for sure. Better than Disneyworld for a kid!