Zener Protection Adds Distortion?

raburns

I have the Khorn with Type AA networks, I read where these protection circuits compound distortion. I have K-77 round tweeter.

Is this true? Should I bypass them? What do you think

Funny you should ask. When I was at Paul Klipsch's house he had to swap out some RCA connections to play me some of his recordings. You could hear him ***** and swear as you heard buzzing from unplugging and and plugging those stupid RCA connector that disconnect the ground before the positive terminal. This type of activity can fry K-77's so PWK added the Zeners to protect tweeters. They have no effect on the sound.

• Like 1

If you don't like them, just add a fuse for the tweeters.

Murphy's law corollary #49: When struck with a full DC rail "hammerblow" in the above example at PWK's house, the voice will always blow to protect the fuse.

Fuses are too slow compared to the speed of those fat zeners. Had mine for 30 years without an issue.

If you don't like them, just add a fuse for the tweeters.

Murphy's law corollary #49: When struck with a full DC rail "hammerblow" in the above example at PWK's house, the voice will always blow to protect the fuse.

Fuses are too slow compared to the speed of those fat zeners. Had mine for 30 years without an issue.

Not doubting you, but I built a set of AKL's many years ago and in a dark room one night the fuse went off like a firework. Saved my tweeters. I used the fuse that was recommended in the build.

Was I just lucky?

I have the Khorn with Type AA networks, I read where these protection circuits compound distortion. I have K-77 round tweeter.

Is this true? Should I bypass them? What do you think

Funny you should ask. When I was at Paul Klipsch's house he had to swap out some RCA connections to play me some of his recordings. You could hear him ***** and swear as you heard buzzing from unplugging and and plugging those stupid RCA connector that disconnect the ground before the positive terminal. This type of activity can fry K-77's so PWK added the Zeners to protect tweeters. They have no effect on the sound.

Was this at a moment of forgetfullness? Never plug or unplug any connector that doesn't make ground connection first with the power on. Or better yet never do it with ANY connector. At the very least turn off your power amp

Honestly, I don't understand how people fail drivers. I have been using Klipsch since I was 18 (35 years). I've had countless pairs, modified networks, etc. I've never broken anything. I NEVER use fuses nor diodes. I removed them in all my speakers, Khorns, etc.

Every network I had Dean or ALK build for me I specified with no protection. Most of these I still have.

Makes me think people that breaks this kind of stuff don't know what the hell their doing. :D

A friend of mine had some ADS L810, a Tandberg TCD310, and a Hafler DH500.

When you stopped the Tandberg it would put out an almost inaudible 'click'.

Of course it was rail-to-rail (180V P-P) into the tweeter.

After replacing the tweeters a couple of times I installed Klipsch zener diode protectors.

End of tweeter problems.