Tuba HT vs Table Tuba

tigerwoodKhorns

OK, need some opinions from the experts here. This project is a long way off, but I saw a comment somehwere on this forum saying that the Table Tuba is good for music an dthe Tuba HT is good for movies.

Does this mean that the Table tuba is faster and tighter and the tuba HT is "looser" allowing the bass notes to last?

Thanks.

I found this question interesting, shouldn't each of those subwoofers only play the "bass notes" as recorded? What I mean to say is, if one is "allowing" the bass notes to last then isn't it introducing something that wasn't recorded? Hey I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of subwoofers is woefully lacking. Just interested.

• Like 1

OK, need some opinions from the experts here. This project is a long way off, but I saw a comment somehwere on this forum saying that the Table Tuba is good for music an dthe Tuba HT is good for movies.

I recall the same comment, but didn't comment at the time because I agreed with the context.

The Table Tuba is a good for music while the THT is also good for movies (in addition to music). The Table Tuba just doesn't go low enough for movies.

Admittedly, the THT drops like a rock below 20 Hz and some people are not satisfied with that as well. The lil wrecker is interesting as well, and the Cinema F20.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Dumb question, what is the output of the smaller THT (12" woofer version, 15" x 18" x 72") compared to a JL F113? I am guessing that it is much more.

It seems that all I need is the smaller one. My room is pretty big, about 20' wide x 45' deep, but I do not want to rattle the windows off.

You will lose roughly 2 dB.

Unless you plan on trying out for a SPL contest the slimmer model is more than enough.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Dumb question, what is the output of the smaller THT (12" woofer version, 15" x 18" x 72") compared to a JL F113? I am guessing that it is much more.

It seems that all I need is the smaller one. My room is pretty big, about 20' wide x 45' deep, but I do not want to rattle the windows off.

Unless you plan on trying out for a SPL contest the slimmer model is more than enough.

Going from 15" to 12"? Not compared to a JL F113, right?

Direct radiator bass such as from a JL F113 is different than horn-loaded bass. If you like KHorn bass, you'll like THT bass.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Going from 15" to 12"? Not compared to a JL F113, right?

Direct radiator bass such as from a JL F113 is different than horn-loaded bass. If you like KHorn bass, you'll like THT bass.

Yes i was comparing a bigger THT cabinet loaded with a 15" to a slimmer version with a 12" driver.

Horn loaded is the way to go, tight snappy bass and plenty of it.

Thanks.

I have the full Bill Fitzmaurice CD, and the THT and THTLP both use 15" drivers. The TT and TT Long use 8 or 10" drivers. The TT Long's dimensions are 12" or wider X 15" X 60". You can use dual 8's in a TT long that is 20" to 36" wide. Could you be talking about one of the pro BFM subs?

Thanks.

I have the full Bill Fitzmaurice CD, and the THT and THTLP both use 15" drivers. The TT and TT Long use 8 or 10" drivers. The TT Long's dimensions are 12" or wider X 15" X 60". You can use dual 8's in a TT long that is 20" to 36" wide. Could you be talking about one of the pro BFM subs?

The THTLP can be built 15"x18"x72" using a 12" driver

Edited by jason str

Thanks.

The THTLP can be built 15"x18"x72" using a 12" driver

Thank you!

I looked in the plans document and see where that is mentioned now. I don't know how I missed that. The driver recommended is the Dayton RSS315 HF-4 or the Eminence LAB12.

One other place I see the 12" mentioned is in the full sized THT in the SPL charts thread for the THT. There isn't a charts for a 12 in the THTLP. Here is the post:

Tuba HT, 24 inches wide, loaded with the Tempest 15 (blue) and Lab 12 (red) drivers, half-space. Lab 12 is a simulated response, Tempest is measured.

15v12.gif

• Like 1

In the plan instructions, Bill makes the following statement: "Response is flatter and sensitivity higher as the cab is made wider, so make it as wide as is practical for the room you’re using it in."

In the plans, here are the narrowest dimensions recommended:

TT 12" with 8" driver

TTL 12" with 8" driver

THT 15" with 12" driver

THTLP 15" with 12" driver

You should post the question on the BFM forums if you are considering narrower sizes.

• Like 1

I had my buddy build my THT LP at 18" x18" x 72". I used a 12" speaker and powering it with a Bash 300 plate amp. It can easily hang right in there with my Klipschorns and I have the gain on the amp less than half and the AVR setting typically in the -8 to 0 range.

I stapled carpet to it and since its laid down against the wall I use it as extra seating during UFC parties or football get togethers.

Edited by jvs1670
  • Like 1

I recall the same comment, but didn't comment at the time because I agreed with the context.

The Table Tuba is a good for music while the THT is also good for movies (in addition to music). The Table Tuba just doesn't go low enough for movies.

Admittedly, the THT drops like a rock below 20 Hz and some people are not satisfied with that as well. The lil wrecker is interesting as well, and the Cinema F20.

Danley DTS-10 is good for music, movies, and to simulate earthquakes in your house or vibrate things at the other end of the house. LOL. Otherwise you can go to the AVS forum and build the HousWrecker or the LilWrecker, both of which were inspired by the DTS-10. The nice thing about the F-20 and the Tubas is that they are NOT tapped horns. They won't go as low, but go higher, like 100 Hz. instead of 60 or 70 Hz. for the tapped horns.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I have a very nice pair of Titan 48s if anyone is interested. They each have a single 15" Eminence Kappalite 3015, and are a solid 9/10 in appearance. Excellent for music. You would probably want the Tuba for HT. Titans are tight and fast but don't dig quite as deep like a Tuba.