Tuba HT vs Table Tuba

tigerwoodKhorns

The more time i listen to the Table Tuba the more i miss the THT.

I find myself always having to fiddle with the subwoofer gain and frequency with the Table Tuba where i never had to adjust anything with the THT after i had things adjusted.

I love the Table Tuba and it is better sounding than 99+% of the subwoofers on the market today but plans are to build myself another THT and be done with it. Its the right tool for the job in my perspective and I'm very picky when it comes to sound.

***Just wanted to update this**

A pair of slim Table Tuba's or a wider version of the TT fixes the issue of having to fiddle with the gain + placement is key when adding any new subwoofer to your system.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

OK, need some opinions from the experts here. This project is a long way off, but I saw a comment somehwere on this forum saying that the Table Tuba is good for music an dthe Tuba HT is good for movies.

I recall the same comment, but didn't comment at the time because I agreed with the context.

The Table Tuba is a good for music while the THT is also good for movies (in addition to music). The Table Tuba just doesn't go low enough for movies.

Admittedly, the THT drops like a rock below 20 Hz and some people are not satisfied with that as well. The lil wrecker is interesting as well, and the Cinema F20.

Danley DTS-10 is good for music, movies, and to simulate earthquakes in your house or vibrate things at the other end of the house. LOL. Otherwise you can go to the AVS forum and build the HousWrecker or the LilWrecker, both of which were inspired by the DTS-10. The nice thing about the F-20 and the Tubas is that they are NOT tapped horns. They won't go as low, but go higher, like 100 Hz. instead of 60 or 70 Hz. for the tapped horns.

That being said, the 24" THT is terrific. I own one of those too. It's great for music and movies.......VERY efficient, but won'd go as low as spuds, which are less efficient. Trade offs are alive and well.

• Like 1

OK, need some opinions from the experts here. This project is a long way off, but I saw a comment somehwere on this forum saying that the Table Tuba is good for music an dthe Tuba HT is good for movies.

I recall the same comment, but didn't comment at the time because I agreed with the context.

The Table Tuba is a good for music while the THT is also good for movies (in addition to music). The Table Tuba just doesn't go low enough for movies.

Admittedly, the THT drops like a rock below 20 Hz and some people are not satisfied with that as well. The lil wrecker is interesting as well, and the Cinema F20.

Danley DTS-10 is good for music, movies, and to simulate earthquakes in your house or vibrate things at the other end of the house. LOL. Otherwise you can go to the AVS forum and build the HousWrecker or the LilWrecker, both of which were inspired by the DTS-10. The nice thing about the F-20 and the Tubas is that they are NOT tapped horns. They won't go as low, but go higher, like 100 Hz. instead of 60 or 70 Hz. for the tapped horns.

That being said, the 24" THT is terrific. I own one of those too. It's great for music and movies.......VERY efficient, but won'd go as low as spuds, which are less efficient. Trade offs are alive and well.

Efficient is right, it does not take much power to get the house rockin.

When i recommend a 50-100 watt amp i get strange looks. :unsure:

Most will never use 25 watts unless destroying the house is the plan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doing more experimentation with these subs i connected two 16" Table Tuba's in series to my 240 watt dayton amp and what a difference it made to the bottom end.

No more having to constantly adjust the volume & frequency settings to get it to sound right (maybe im just overly picky).

2 smaller subs are easier to place too.

• Like 1

Doing more experimentation with these subs i connected two 16" Table Tuba's in series to my 240 watt dayton amp and what a difference it made to the bottom end.

No more having to constantly adjust the volume & frequency settings to get it to sound right (maybe im just overly picky).

Good news, but I think its funny that two table tubas are "2 smaller subs."

Good news, but I think its funny that two table tubas are "2 smaller subs."

I don't own any small speakers, my smallest ones are some old school 4 ways in the garage.

If i could get the same sound out of some "little cubes" and a "Bass module" as i do my La Scala's and a horn sub i would do it in a heartbeat.

1 long style Table Tuba can be made as small as a 12x15 footprint, not too bad if height's not an issue.

People look at me cross eyed when I tell them my kodiak is a little truck. Any rate. A question about THT's. If you build the long version with the small footprint do you fire it at the ceiling or can you use it like a down firing sub? Didnt know if you could get more placement options using it in a down firing configuration Vs corner loading a standard tht

• Like 1

You can load the THT using your wall, floor, ceiling or corner, the mouth of the horn should be approximately 18" away from the surface for best results.

I ran mine facing me directly into my listening position and it sounded great.

Wall, corner, ceiling or floor loading will give more volume but its really not needed with the output the THT produces.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

People look at me cross eyed when I tell them my kodiak is a little truck. Any rate. A question about THT's. If you build the long version with the small footprint do you fire it at the ceiling or can you use it like a down firing sub? Didnt know if you could get more placement options using it in a down firing configuration Vs corner loading a standard tht

That's the way I would do it.

<<Efficient is right, it does not take much power to get the house rockin.

Most will never use 25 watts unless destroying the house is the plan.>>

I have had this problem with people for over 40 years. Horn subs are 10-20 db more efficient than those itty bitty cubes with holes in them. So 25 watts in a THT puts out as much sound with WAY less distortion than a DR sub with 250-2,500 Watt, and you won't smoke the voice coil or tear up the cone doing it (or create 40% harmonic distortion in the process).

How are you liking the pair of table tubas with the LaScalas?

I like it very much, digs deep and very musical sound. Not a matched pair though, one has a 10" and the other one a high output 8.

Right now I'm really just experimenting with different things.

Good to test them out anyways before selling them just to be sure I'm producing quality stuff + I'm a beleiver of breaking in drivers.

<<Efficient is right, it does not take much power to get the house rockin.

Most will never use 25 watts unless destroying the house is the plan.>>

I have had this problem with people for over 40 years. Horn subs are 10-20 db more efficient than those itty bitty cubes with holes in them. So 25 watts in a THT puts out as much sound with WAY less distortion than a DR sub with 250-2,500 Watt, and you won't smoke the voice coil or tear up the cone doing it (or create 40% harmonic distortion in the process).

I totaly agree, horns rule. :)

My first time hearing the THT my first thought was so that's what a bass guitar supposed to sound like. You hear the string and not the woofers version of what it thinks the string should sound like, everything else is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...