Love in the back seat, 21rst century style at 100mph.

Mallette

Actually, I am seeing a number of folks who thing it is somehow limiting their freedom to not allow them to put others at risk. I am a freedom loving guy, but I definitely disagree here.

So, I'd suggest this: Instead of disagreeing, offer an alternative to the millions of unnecessary injuries and deaths, billions in road construction while delays and drive times are projected to increase, and the billions of lost hours in productivity spent sitting in traffic jams.

It is not enough to disagree. One should be prepared with a DOABLE alternative. My dad (born, 1903) didn't want to give up his horse. He got over it.

Dave

Actually, I am seeing a number of folks who thing it is somehow limiting their freedom to not allow them to put others at risk. I am a freedom loving guy, but I definitely disagree here.

So, I'd suggest this: Instead of disagreeing, offer an alternative to the millions of unnecessary injuries and deaths, billions in road construction while delays and drive times are projected to increase, and the billions of lost hours in productivity spent sitting in traffic jams.

It is not enough to disagree. One should be prepared with a DOABLE alternative. My dad (born, 1903) didn't want to give up his horse. He got over it.

Dave

Dave you are asking people to do something that our own government can't do, namely discuss and come up with a solution.....I guess we do get the government we deserve.

Don't inject politics...but, no. In fact very much the opposite in the belief I have an inherent right to defend myself as I see fit.

Including from people who insist on putting others at risk without regard to others rights.

And, yes, it is quite possible to remove many dangers from life and to do so while increasing freedom rather than limiting it. I don't want to give up the freedom of movement I now enjoy just because I become too old, blind, or physically incapable of driving.

Nor do I wish to be put at risk from others who wish to live in the past, a past that has killed millions and cost trillions.

Frankly, I've never really been much of a flag waver for one cause or the other, but this one has ignited my passion.

Dave

Dave

Dave you are asking people to do something that our own government can't do, namely discuss and come up with a solution.....I guess we do get the government we deserve.

Yeah, and we surely got it this time. Elections DO have consequences.

Shakey

Well, for reasons that show in my avatar area, I will not go into politics in this thread or anywhere else on this forum. Let's just say I fully agree with Ben Franklin's "Those who would trade temporary security for essential liberty deserve neither liberty nor security."

While government has to be a part of this, it, like all things, should be the will of the people. A people tired of drunk drivers, perfectly fine people falling asleep at the wheel, sleep deprived, amphetamine crazed truckers, SPEED LIMITS, endless construction that yields nothing, and 100 car pileups because humans don't realize they can't drive in smoke or fog.

Frankly, I find it takes a great deal of patience to deal with naysayers and skeptics on this as the price as we piddle around is immense in life and treasure.

Dave

Mallette, you seem like a good guy. We just don't agree on this.

Shakey

I am good with that, Shakey. Seriously.

But I think you will come around, and you have plenty of time to do so. This won't happen unless most people demand it. If so, then your believe in democracy...which I share...will win out.

Dave

I am blessed with about the least onerous commute in Houston. I live in the Galveston Bay area and it is 25 miles into the city to my office. I usually leave about 5:50 AM and can expect to take about 35 minutes to make the drive. The freeways are busy, but rarely congested. Nonetheless, the speeds average 65 mph and there are frequent sudden lane changers for no apparent reason and people drive at a variety of speeds. It requires pretty close attention.

I suspect I could easily take 10 minutes off that trip in an autonomous vehicle, and my guess is there'd usually be at 4 car lengths or more between vehicles and speeds of 90 or so.

I am SO ready for that! Anybody who lives in a city and loves their commute experience needs a checkup from the neck up... :P

Dave

And all this time I thought you were an analog guy Dave.

I can see it now. Terrorist hackers controlling vehicles. Unmanned vehicles turned into bombs. Rush hour traffic coming to a complete halt with one push of a button. Let the government install the infrastructure, yeah it'll be safe.

• Like 1

Carl, none of that is possible with this technology. You are thinking of central control, this is AUTONOMOUS control. AAMOF, such things become LESS likely. This is NOT monolithic computer driven, but a series of redundant subsystems that link to others around and yet remain independent. Very much like modern airliners, but given we are talking very slow (comparatively) speeds and only 2 dimensions, much more reliable.

Dave

First, lets implement such a system (that nearly exists today) for the railroads, and try that to see how well it works. It would be easier to begin with a more controlled environment like the RRs than to start with multilane highways. Eventually a system like the one Dave is talking about will be the reality for road travel.

First, lets implement such a system (that nearly exists today) for the railroads, and try that to see how well it works. It would be easier to begin with a more controlled environment like the RRs than to start with multilane highways. Eventually a system like the one Dave is talking about will be the reality for road travel.

Don that's ancient history. First one was in 1967.

What possible purpose would a human driver be on a high speed train? None of them use them.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Don that's ancient history. First one was in 1967.

What possible purpose would a human driver be on a high speed train? None of them use them.

Dave

Considering recent derailments and other train mishaps it seems all of the RRs should begin rapid implementation on passenger lines, freight trains, commuter trains etc.