Jl 113 vs two PB13 ultras

holtrp

Hey guys, need some opinions here. Thinking about selling my f113 and investing in two pb13 ultras (if the price is right for a sale on my f113). Couple things. I want more bass. F113 is stout and without fault, but I sincerely want that bass slam louder and more powerful than any human could ever possible want to listen (headroom!). I like the idea of a 5 year warranty with svs, even another bargain jl wouldn't offer me that. I like the idea of having flexibility to go back and forth between ported and sealed with svs.

What am I missing? Anyone have svs horror stories?

Thanks

Hey guys, need some opinions here. Thinking about selling my f113 and investing in two pb13 ultras (if the price is right for a sale on my f113). Couple things. I want more bass. F113 is stout and without fault, but I sincerely want that bass slam louder and more powerful than any human could ever possible want to listen (headroom!). I like the idea of a 5 year warranty with svs, even another bargain jl wouldn't offer me that. I like the idea of having flexibility to go back and forth between ported and sealed with svs.

What am I missing? Anyone have svs horror stories?

Thanks

All you have mentioned are legitimate reasons to opt for two PB13 Ultras over one F113. Many would say that the JLAudio subs are up there with the best consumer subs you can buy, but that comes with a $$$ premium. Many would also say that SVS subs are among the best performance/price ratio consumer subs you can buy. And both camps would be right.

I would have two PB13 Ultras(or SB13 Ultras) any day over one F113's providing the room size would accommodate it.

I also like the flexible tuning(ported/sealed) of the PB13U.

Two PB13 Ultras will give you the ooomph and slam that you so desire.

Bill

Edited by willland

Horror stories? No not really. BUT I am one of few on here that has had first hand experience with dual PB-13 ultras. I am gonna pm you my contact info and I'd like to talk to you over the phone as it would take forever for me to type all of my past years experience with subwoofers. Please get ahold of me.

"I want more bass. F113 is stout and without fault, but I sincerely want that bass slam louder and more powerful than any human could ever possible want to listen (headroom!)."

Never heard the SV 13 but between this quote and your nuclear explosion avatar, maybe you should look at one of the horn loaded subs out there. (Tuba, SPUD, etc). You may not be really satisfied untill you get one of these LF horns that can do it with no effort.

Man, your 18 build thread looks sick! I am at the same spot with my f113 as you were with svs, I can make it distort and potentially break at reference levels. I just don't have the horsepower I am looking for yet, which is sort of sad because it really is a amazing sub.

On a scale of 1-10, how tough was the build and how many hours do you have into them? I have no wood working skills, and minimal skills with soldering / wiring an external amp / eq. Plus, wife two kids makes time at a premium. Waf shouldn't be an issue, man cave is all mine.

Talk to you later

It sounds like the opening post is more into movies. If you want to feel the tactile stuff and vibrations, think about sub extension. If you havea large room, you may need several ported sub which will be louder around the subs tunning. What size room do you have? Having the option to plug a port is not that important as setup to get a sub to also sound great with music. If you like extension and watch movies really loud, you may need a sealed sub.

I have a large room but went with sealed 18 in. sub for extension and more tactile stuff. Sub EQ is fairly easy to learn and intuitive. Beside, you can easily get help here, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

Room is ~1200 sq ft open to hall & staircase, though in the next few years the room is getting an overhaul and will be customized space for acoustics it is not ideal now, but I have seen much worse listening areas. Running my velo & jl co located under the center. Had them up front in the corners but I was really uneven and boomy even if it was a tad louder. Maybe I didn't spend enough time setting them up but the velo and jl are just totally mis matched anyway.

It is probably 50/50 music & ht use. I want something so insanely loud and powerful that there is no way anyone could listen to it for more than a few mins at reference level. I definitely want overkill.

When I added my SVS SB13 Plus to my existing Revel B15, I had them left and right front about 6ft off the side wall. For music, it was awesome but for HT, it lacked that extra something. I then moved both to front corners and magically I got that oooomph for Ht but bomminess for music. Then ran Audyssey MultEQ XT, now I feel I got the best of both worlds.

Bill

My jl does pretty much all the work. The velo is pretty much a chump. I can play with gain a bit and it sounds excellent with music. Ref mode is good for movies. When I really crank it though, it just doesn't hit as hard and even as I want regardless of settings or placement . Pretty sure I just need more displacement. I am pretty sure two 13 one would impress, but if I could get 4 18's fore the same price... Plus, I have always been more impressed with sealed vs ported for accuracy.

Thanks for all the feedback! Love this forum!

I am not a sub expert but I know one. I think that the duel SVS PB13ultra will be hard to beat, nearly impossible with one sub, as for duels you would have to spend a whole bunch of money to beat the PB"s. Right now I have duel Outlaws with heresy's and it sounds unreal, now I want the duel PB 13"s to go with my LaScala"s, man that would be the bomb.....Roost

Room is ~1200 sq ft open to hall & staircase

That's a large room. You need two good subs and sealed if you want the under 20 Hz stuff. My sub are similar to DYI. Even though they are 18 in. sub, the cabinet is 21 or 22 Inches, so not bigger that a lot of the ID compaines 15 in. sub. Have you considered larger subs. If you get a couple of 18 in. subs, you won't be looking at subs for a long while. The only thing about my Chase and some DYI subs is the finish is not as pretty, lol.

1200sq ft (=+- 112m²) is indeed very large actually and I'm afraid even with 2 x PB13 Ultra's. You will not be able to create any "bone crushing" experiences.
Sure you will have a blast anyway with 2xPB13 (more then 1 x F113) , but reading between the lines it seems you are seeking for an insane expierence...

My current HT is RF7-II equipped with 2 x PB13 Ultra's and I can truly said it can delivery a scary impression, but this room is "only" about 400 sq feet and > 5000 cubic feet.

Perhaps a couple of 18" with a few thousands Watts amplification will do the trick unless you move to a real dedicated smaller room.

That's what I had to do. Four 18 in. drivers and 2 amps. Some people would say I could use a few more to really ahceive the PVE (pressure vessel effect) since the room is an open concept design. But, I can hit a reference of 115 db at the MLP which is plenty loud. True reference is hitting a 115 at 20 Hz at the MLP which is asking a lot of even 2 or 3 subs. I can hit the 115 db at 20 Hz after I bring the bottom end of the subs up with PEQ. For all practical purposes, in a room my size the is no cabin gain which is why I said ported subs for a large room or multiple sealed subs.

Edited by derrickdj1

SVS makes an awesome sub. You would be hard pressed to find something better for their sizes. There are a lot of equal contenders out there (equal being relative of course) but they have a rock solid warranty, excellent customer service and a good in-home trial program, oh, not to mention the upgrade program. I have a 3,300 cuft room that is open to our kitchen and my svs subs make it sound like king kong in the club and I have them tuned to 16hz. Reasonably, at some level, the bass just doesnt mesh with the source and sounds out of place. I am a bass junky but i think things to mesh with movies. Music, well, let me crank some Derb and jack the bass.

Not sure what I am going to do... Had a great conversation with scrappy the other day about DIY 18"s, definitely seems like that is the direction I would like to go opposed to two svs. I will eventually remodel my room and it will be smaller, but not that much smaller.

My only concern is 4 18's and nothing in the 12" range. Thanks for all the input, everything hinges on selling my f113 for now, so no rush

Four 18 in. driver will be just great. Just because they are large, their is no problems with quicness or sluggish response. I listen to more music than movies and the large driver are great. The deeper bass adds an extra dimension to the bass and depth.

+1!! I actually cross my subs at 100 hz cause they do a better job at it than my thx speakers. That right there should say plenty that an 18" driver can get it done!