POWER TOOLS!

tigerwoodKhorns

My aunt just gave me a Craftsman 10" miter saw still wraped in the box, why she had it i dont know as she is a computer programmer for McAfee and writes programs for security for a few big banks downtown Chicago.

I'm wondering if i should open it or sell it as my luck with Craftsman tools has been kind of poor to say the least.

It's a gift. Use it and tell her you love it. May be a white lie, but will make her feel good. Not enough Good in this world, so spread a little around. Won't cost a thing and will be good for her. Just my thoughts. Later if you decide to get rid of it and she asks, you can tell her that you had 2 and a friend needed one so you gave it to him and he was very happy to receive it.

John

John

• Like 1

My aunt just gave me a Craftsman 10" miter saw still wraped in the box, why she had it i dont know as she is a computer programmer for McAfee and writes programs for security for a few big banks downtown Chicago.

I'm wondering if i should open it or sell it as my luck with Craftsman tools has been kind of poor to say the least.

It's a gift. Use it and tell her you love it. May be a white lie, but will make her feel good. Not enough Good in this world, so spread a little around. Won't cost a thing and will be good for her. Just my thoughts. Later if you decide to get rid of it and she asks, you can tell her that you had 2 and a friend needed one so you gave it to him and he was very happy to receive it.

John

John

Great answer John.

John

John

Yes my aunt has always been very generous i should open it up and at least give it a test run.

I am always grateful and thank her when she does something nice like this.

Jason, I consider you a friend. Just sayin. :blink:

Thats great JL. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Per recommendation of Rudy81, plus it something I have been thinking of adding as the shop vac just wasn't cutting it any more. My cabinet buddy had a dust collector for sale, since he replaced it with a new fancy cyclone looking one. So I picked up a Delta 50-850, for about 300.00. Now this may or may not have been a great deal, but he had just put a new filter on it from American Fabric Filters. Literally used it just once to see how well it worked then removed the dust collector from his system to install the new one. The bag alone was 150.00, so I paid 150.00 for the unit itself. But wait there is more out of this deal then him getting cash, and me getting a dust collector. I will be saving my family and my self from the mess of dust, plus he is a good friend, and has all ways been there to help me with wood working projects. Kind of like my mentor teacher so in a since I am getting a lift time of advice.

Now as for the quality of this product I won't be able to report for quite some time. As I have to get the garage cleaned up and this unit installed, plus wait to run some wiring to power it up. But at least I have a good start.

• Moderators

My dust collector works great it's perfect, EVERYTHING in the room catches every speck of dust even the teeniest pieces, NONE escapes even with a 8' door open.

When I build a new area I really need a collector, it's amazing how much dust is produced, Glad for you great idea.

I am the same way. Love projects. I became an engineer because I love to design and build things, but got out of the business to pursue other things. I am really happy after working on a project all aweekend. I am very fortunate that my wife is the same way.

Speaking of power tools, I bought her a Janome DC2013 sewing machine. What a fine piece of machinery. Quiet and smooth. She altered a welding jacket for me and it worked so well on the leather. I love tools, so I bought her Kai scissors too. They are really nice, they fell like what Snap On would make it they made scissors. She loves the stuff, but I do not think that she really realizes how nice the stuff is because she has not used bad tools before (she didn't use anything before).

I want to spend my retirement piddling around in the shop and riding motorcycles (soemthing else she likes).

Nice work on yoru stuff.

I just purchased a Janome 7330 for my wife's birthday, I never heard of them until you mentioned them. Then I had seen she had one on her Amazon wish list, same one as the 7330 but a mechanical model vs this one which is computerized. The nice thing I was able to keep it local, plus purchase from a specialty sewing shop. Where she will get 3 free classes to learn everything about the machine. I don't see Sears or Amazon offering that for the same price. Plus I even was able to get the sells rep to throw in the quilting foot. I was good with the price but what the heck, if I can get some free stuff out of the deal why not.

• Moderators

I am the same way. Love projects. I became an engineer because I love to design and build things, but got out of the business to pursue other things. I am really happy after working on a project all aweekend. I am very fortunate that my wife is the same way.

Speaking of power tools, I bought her a Janome DC2013 sewing machine. What a fine piece of machinery. Quiet and smooth. She altered a welding jacket for me and it worked so well on the leather. I love tools, so I bought her Kai scissors too. They are really nice, they fell like what Snap On would make it they made scissors. She loves the stuff, but I do not think that she really realizes how nice the stuff is because she has not used bad tools before (she didn't use anything before).

I want to spend my retirement piddling around in the shop and riding motorcycles (soemthing else she likes).

Nice work on yoru stuff.

I just purchased a Janome 7330 for my wife's birthday, I never heard of them until you mentioned them. Then I had seen she had one on her Amazon wish list, same one as the 7330 but a mechanical model vs this one which is computerized. The nice thing I was able to keep it local, plus purchase from a specialty sewing shop. Where she will get 3 free classes to learn everything about the machine. I don't see Sears or Amazon offering that for the same price. Plus I even was able to get the sells rep to throw in the quilting foot. I was good with the price but what the heck, if I can get some free stuff out of the deal why not.

Very nice, but I am not telling my wife about either machine, she has a room full already and I am intimidated by all of them after trying to make a simple pillow.

Edited by dtel

Per recommendation of Rudy81, plus it something I have been thinking of adding as the shop vac just wasn't cutting it any more. My cabinet buddy had a dust collector for sale, since he replaced it with a new fancy cyclone looking one. So I picked up a Delta 50-850, for about 300.00. Now this may or may not have been a great deal, but he had just put a new filter on it from American Fabric Filters. Literally used it just once to see how well it worked then removed the dust collector from his system to install the new one. The bag alone was 150.00, so I paid 150.00 for the unit itself. But wait there is more out of this deal then him getting cash, and me getting a dust collector. I will be saving my family and my self from the mess of dust, plus he is a good friend, and has all ways been there to help me with wood working projects. Kind of like my mentor teacher so in a since I am getting a lift time of advice.

Now as for the quality of this product I won't be able to report for quite some time. As I have to get the garage cleaned up and this unit installed, plus wait to run some wiring to power it up. But at least I have a good start.

Just make sure you NEVER get a spark inside the bag. Was working the night shift when one of those went off at the sawmill complex I was working at. I SAW THE LIGHT, and it was a few hundred yards behind me.

I can't recommend the Festool enough. The learning curve wasn't that steep and the results are unbelievable. If you use a vacuum attached to the saw, it's virtually dustless. The miter is scary accurate. This is a pic of a 45 degree bevel I cut (on the vertical panel) and matched to a 45 on the base panel.IMG_0251.jpg

I bought 2 ratcheting clamps. They're well designed also, extremely fast. I didn't get a table but may look at their dust extraction equipment in the future. My shop vac didn't have the right size hose and had to be adapted with duct tape. :blush: My old circular saw/guide/clamp set that I used for years made decent cuts but took infinitely longer to set up. Miters used to give me fits. The nice thing about cutting a miter with this is that you clamp the guide on your mark just like you would on a straight cut and when you adjust the saw, it swings off to the side and hits the line perfectly. The motor somehow always keeps the same RPM's also. It never bogs. I remember reading about it bit am not sure how it works. when it gets in a bind, it somehow dials up the power. When you pull the trigger to start the saw, nothing happens for a second, then it ramps up to running speed. When you hit the wood, it really doesn't change RPM's. It's strange. I'm still the same wood butcher that I've always been, but my speed and accuracy just took an uptick.

• Moderators
The nice thing about cutting a miter with this is that you clamp the guide on your mark just like you would on a straight cut and when you adjust the saw, it swings off to the side and hits the line perfectly.

That is a great design idea, that's always a pain with almost any other way to cut.

I have another box to knock out after this one and possibly 2 more horns after that. It's looking like a good invsment right about now.

That's good news because I know those saws aren't cheap. Will the horns be like you've built before or a new design?

• 3 weeks later...