CDP Skipping

RonW.

Can mid to higher volumes cause your CD player to skip, I don't recall it skipping previously. I just had the CDP serviced and a new laser and belt was replaced, it is a 25 year old Sony C85ES model. I don't know if it's vibrations or the laser is malfunctioning?

What do you think.

Thanks,

RonW.

I have to wonder if they left something loose or did something wrong when serviced. I'd talk to them about it.

I had a skipping cd player once but I ran one of those cds with the brushes and that took care of it. Turns out I just had some gunk on it.

If you have problems with skipping disks under mid to moderate listening levels something is wrong.

I would need to pump at least 120+ watts to my Chorus II's to get skipping from either deck.

The Tuba's need to be low passed under 70 Hz under higher volume or i get the same thing.

Turning down the bass will help with my gear, i do not normally crank it up too often anymore.

Call the repair center where you had the work done and tell them whats going on if you think its abnormal.

Funny I don't recall any of my vinyl records skipping when I crank it up, hahahahaha.

Nothing funny about it, you just don't have any serious volume or Bass!

I can skip a turntable or a CD player, but it is easier to skip a turntable...

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Funny I don't recall any of my vinyl records skipping when I crank it up, hahahahaha.

I have a feeling that Jason has some serious bass when he cranks it.

Oh I know, I have a ttls I keep it low to insure no skipage, how ever one nice thing is my floors in the basement are concrete so that helps I am sure. Hopefully the Ron can get this resolved so he can jam some tunes.

If it didn't skip before replacing the new laser, I agree with Jason, call the repair place.

It could be a dirty lens. The lens on my Sony CDP-515 needed cleaning a couple years ago. It would skip whenever it wanted. The dirt/dust came off fine with Isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip.

Older Sony cd players seem to skip easy. Mine does with loud thumps. Put a pillow under it and crank some tunes, to check if bass is to blame. If vibrations are the problem you can make your own vibration absorbing feet. I've heard these help, but haven't tried them: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7652-vibrapods.aspx

Edited by Rivernuggets

My CD transport skipped about 5 years ago. I opened the drawer, sprayed some compressed air at the lens assembly, closed the drawer and it hasn't skipped since. If that doesn't do it, call the folks who repaired it... matter of fact, I'd call them first.