Acoustic Room treatments

jtubbs6117

This is the package I will prolly end up buying.

http://www.acoustimac.com/home-theater-room-package-3/

I have done alot of reading and research on this and it is my understanding that 2" thick panels are not going to do much to help with bass trapping, you need/want a minimum of 4" thick panels for bass trapping to be effective.
so this is what it comes with? I don't get it. What isn't right about this package? You want a bunch of huge boxes sticking off you walls and 12" corner traps?

I was only saying that the guy pointing out needing 4" bass panels is EXACTLY what the package included. I understand there is better stuff out there. I don't even think a 1,000 package could compare to spending 5,000 on the best stuff available. But I bet that 1,000$ package is better than what 75% of the members here use.

I was only saying that the guy pointing out needing 4" bass panels is EXACTLY what the package included. I understand there is better stuff out there. I don't even think a 1,000 package could compare to spending 5,000 on the best stuff available. But I bet that 1,000$ package is better than what 75% of the members here use.

I am only trying to help, I just finished doing some treatment and I see the difference in using a 4" and 6" panel that's all. The package you listed appears to have alot of 2" panels and some 4" panels, I was thinking that the 2" ones are not much help..

Same thing I was trying to do. We are all here to help. You just first mentioned 4" bass traps. So I said that's what it came with. You didn't say anything about 4" panels and 6" bass traps. If that's the better stuff then that's the better stuff. I only have my eyes on a package but until I buy a house I have zero acoustic treatment except rugs and curtains. So I'm sure you guys know more than I do about it.

Ok let me try to be more clear for you on this. What I am saying is the package you listed has a bunch of panels/traps of the 2" variety which isn't going to do as much as the 4"/6" panels/traps would do. In my opinion I was only use the 4" or larger panels/traps, so maybe buying them seperate instead of the room package would be a better deal; that's all I was saying sorry about the confusion..

2" panels seem to work good for me :). 4 would be a lot coming off the wall.

Exactly. Aren't 2" panel not bass traps at all anyway, and use to absorb higher frequencies (to handle first reflections and echo)?

My question, still unanswered, is whether the filled triangular wedges do a better job as bass traps than the 4 (or 6) inch beveled panels that fit snug against a corner leaving an air gap behind them. It appears that air gap is useful, trapping the reflection off the corner wall, whereas the filled wedges don't have an air gap at all.

Exactly. Aren't 2" panel not bass traps at all anyway, and use to absorb higher frequencies (to handle first reflections and echo)?

My question, still unanswered, is whether the filled triangular wedges do a better job as bass traps than the 4 (or 6) inch beveled panels that fit snug against a corner leaving an air gap behind them. It appears that air gap is useful, trapping the reflection off the corner wall, whereas the filled wedges don't have an air gap at all.

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to get them and take some measurements, as for the corner traps mine have a space behind them but; I don't know if the wedge type do or not...

I think that's right. 2" is good for highs but probably not much good for lows. I probably have enough of them to help a little in the low range but not to consider it treated for bass.

I do have a large peak that I eq down and I wonder if I could tame it going with bass treatment