kg series

Squish

hey, long time klipsch owner, not an audiofile or tecky. have had kg 5.2 ,1.5 and kv2 since new. never played on anything worthwhile , but have been awesome since day one. picked up a pair of 5.5s in the spring and have created a mancave in the basement. looking for advice for a good av receiver. currently have 5.5 front, 5.2 rear, and a kv2 center. is this overkill or a retarded setup. still have kg 1.5s to throw in the mix if it makes more sense. don't know how much power I should push them with, only have a run of the mill, probably seven year old denon 5.1 receiver.kicks good but fades away in clarity pretty quick at loud volumes. any thoughts would be great. Loved the tunes loud when I was twenty, still do, but I want them loud and crystal clear now at 42. thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Oh, you were asking about a good AVR. Well, lots of people will chime in with lots of great ideas. I for one like the flexibility of separate pre-amp and amps. That, however, is costly. There are some new technologies or standards that you may want to take advantage of. The greatest of these is networking. It could be as little as streaming radio stations, and can include such things as pushing audio and video from handheld devices.

As for the KG1.5's, they might be nice "high" speakers, which could be part of an eventual 9.1 system. In that system, you have a center, a left and right, two rears, and two surrounds a high left and right, and a subwoofer. Buying a 9.1 AVR may be overkill, but it would be a way to include those 1.5's. A set of 2.5,s would make nice rears mounted high and angled down.

Hope this helps. I didn't recommend a brand, because there are so many great ones now days. Look for sales!

Edited by mustang guy

Overkill? Here? KG4s are the smallest speakers I will admit to owning. :P KGs make excellent HT speakers and your 1.5s would do nicely as rears in a 7.1 setup. I really like the Pioneer AVRs and got a VSX-1122 last year to power my family room "KG theater." Does a fine job and didn't break the bank. Now all you need is a good subwoofer. :emotion-14:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are ran off marantz sr7007, if your near jacksonville, fl your welcome to stop in and listen. It might not be impressive as some of the more expensive stuff in here but it sounds good to me for the little bit of integrated power I'm throwing at it.

I don't know if they sold it in the US but a few years back over here in the UK Sony marketed an AV receiver Model STRDB1080 as part of their QS series. I've listened to quite a few other AV receivers by other manufacturers and to my ears the Sony is way in front in producing an audiophile sound. It also has quite a decent phono preamp built in. I have hooked my 1080 up to my KM6's (identical to the KG5.5s) and the sound was smooth without any harshness even at high volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB9Xi9ZMFY8

I've had good luck with Denon's on KG's, but not with Yamahas, which are way too bright for KG's, IMO. of course.

Not my experience. Maybe on newer Yamaha stuff (I haven't heard any), but the 1970s vintage Yamaha sounds excellent with any of the Klipsch stuff I have paired with it. Got a CA-1010 powering a newly acquired set of Chorus as we speak.