Anthem MRX 510 vs Yamaha RX-A1030 vs Pioneer SC-1223

justin_tx_16

Debating on receivers right now. These will either go with Paradigm Studio 60 or Klipsch RF7-II speakers in a 2.0 setup that will eventually be built out to 5.1.

Each has many of the same features as far as power, technology, etc. Differences between them doesn't seem to be dramatic on the surface for my uses, it seems to come down to specialized tech like the room measurement tools, quality of DACs and power quality.

If you had to choose between these three what do you think you'd do?

• Anthem MRS 510 - $1,600
  • Yamaha RX-A1030 - $1,000
  • Pioneer SC-1223 - $1,100 on sale for $550 on Amazon today

I have never owned any new receivers, just classic tube amps or my HK430 so this is a big jump for me! I have been told that the power and DACs in the Anthem are head over heels better than much of the competition and that the RX line from Yamaha pushes the envelope for "affordable" receivers. The Pioneer I've never really heard about except that I saw it was on sale today haha.

If I go with the Paradigm Studio 60s (which I was pretty amazed at during an extended listening session) I can get the pair for $2,000 direct from Paradigm via a local dealer, that's savings of $500.

If I go with the Klipsch RF7-II (which I have never had the chance to listen to, no Klipsch showrooms in San Diego?!) I'd pay the full $3,200 which is really more than I'd want to spend.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Call acoustic sound design and ask for mike and see what kind of a deal you can get on the Klipsch rf-7ii package. They will smoke check the paradigms. Mike is a great guy and the owner if that company. He will give you a crazy deal. Don't even think about retail prices.

As for San Diego demos you can go to pacific sales. There are a few. That was the only place I heard Klipsch when I lived out there.

Oh! And fry's!!!! They will have rf-7ii's!! The one in mission valley area?

As for receivers. I've been thinking of anthem myself lately bit myself I am looking for a used or old stock mrx-300 as it has 7.1 preouts and I already have a power amp.

I'd still take the rf-7ii over the studio 100 for the same price. The paradigm just isn't as dynamic to my ears. The 60's are fantastic with music but they just aren't capable of the volumes I like with movies. Last time I was at independence audio they had some action movie in can't remember what one but I watched about 7 minutes of it up at a few db shy of reference then I started to notice a crackle from the center. Totally smoke checked the midrange driver.

As for San Diego demos you can go to pacific sales. There are a few. That was the only place I heard Klipsch when I lived out there.

Oh! And fry's!!!! They will have rf-7ii's!! The one in mission valley area?

As for receivers. I've been thinking of anthem myself lately bit myself I am looking for a used or old stock mrx-300 as it has 7.1 preouts and I already have a power amp.

I called Pacific Sales and they told me they didn't have a showroom where you could listen to speakers, just order for delivery or installation. Seemed pretty crazy.

Thanks for the Anthem endorsement, it was a brand I'd never heard of, gasp. Clearly I've been out of this for too long.

I'd still take the rf-7ii over the studio 100 for the same price. The paradigm just isn't as dynamic to my ears. The 60's are fantastic with music but they just aren't capable of the volumes I like with movies. Last time I was at independence audio they had some action movie in can't remember what one but I watched about 7 minutes of it up at a few db shy of reference then I started to notice a crackle from the center. Totally smoke checked the midrange driver.

Well one of the reasons I'm aiming more towards Paradigm Studio over Klipsch Reference is the performance at low volumes. I live in an apartment so getting to the levels I'd need to get the great dynamic range Klipsch has would also get me evicted. The Paradigm sounded just as good quiet as loud, and definitely got loud enough for me!

Obviously I'm a HUGE Klipsch fan but my experience has been that Klipsch really shows off when loud, but when quiet or at medium levels, it simply doesn't shine. We had an RF-7 system when I was in high school but I don't think I ever played that lower than LOUD and my Klipsch Heresys definitely sound best with a good bit of air flow.

I've gone to two Fry's here in the San Diego area and neither carried Klipsch Reference. They had Martin Logan and Polk and I think some Synergy but other than that, nothing. Also, let's discuss how crappy Fry's is here. In Houston I remember them being pretty awesome, here, half the speakers aren't plugged in and the iPad audio system they use is disconnected from the network, end result, works not at all.

Acoustic Sound Design sounds interesting! I see they have B-Stock for $2,300; that definitely intrigues me.

Well fry's in mission valley had rf-7ii's a year ago when I left and every other model as well in the reference line. And also I've been to pacific sales off miramar road about a 1000 times and they have a showroom in the back and they have Klipsch as well. I think they only had 63's on display but none the less they have them. Either you called a smaller store or whoever you talked to was a moron. I know I was in there multiple times for hours at a atone and no one ever came to help me. I had free reign of the room. Which is never a bad thing to me. And as far as listening at lower volumes I do agree a bit with what you are saying. Paradigm does sound a little more robust at lower volumes. BUT! If you move and have a larger room you are gonna want that higher spl capable speaker. AND! With newer technology they have things like with audussey called dynamic volume and dynamic eq. I leave mine on upstairs cause I rarely listen very loud. It boosts the center the surrounds the sub. Does it all. Sounds much fuller that with it being off. In fact some times I'll turn it off and my system sounds like a joke. But then all you gotta do is crank to reference and boom, it's back!

Food for thought.

You can get a pair of A Stock RF-7iis from Mike at Acoustic Sound Design for around 2k. that’s what I got mine for and they were A stock. Also I can vouche that Anthem has some amazing sound quality. I also like Pioneer and I would venture to say that at low volume levels you can enjoy your RF-7ii package just as much especially if you were to switch and add separate amps they low listening levels can shine. I noticed a big improvement while listening at low volumes with separate amps. I strongly believe you would be happy with either receiver but I think the Anthem would probably hold a longer value and bring more resale later on as well.

Obviously I'm a HUGE Klipsch fan but my experience has been that Klipsch really shows off when loud, but when quiet or at medium levels, it simply doesn't shine.

The ability to sound great at low/medium volumes as well as reference levels in one of the main reasons I like the RF-63's so much. In my opinion with the smaller woofers(6.5"), the midrange sounds more natural and seamless than the larger(10") woofers.

Just my experience.

Bill