Three Important Cars in My Life

thebes

Three most important. Hummmm

1. First car was a beat up s10 blazer. Learned how to work on cars since it spent more time broken than not.

2. My 1964 impala hard top. This was my only car for 5 years and it treated me well

3. My c4500 Monroe kodiak. If it's moving I'm making money.

Three most influential....

Tri year Chevys, 50s ford trucks, and 60s camaros These kept food on my table and the lights on for over 15 years.

1.) 2001 Lincoln LS (First car I bought and paid for)

2.) 2009 Nismo 370Z #274/500 (Dream car, I'm a sucker for rear wheel drive 2 seater sports cars)

3.) 2008 Jeep SRT8 (Practical replacement when my wife and I got pregnant and a 2 seater wouldn't work anymore. If you consider 450HP and 8 MPGs practical)

1968 Chrysler 300 (440 CI 4 barrel dual exhaust) my dad's car when I was in high school

1986 Mercury cougar longest lasting most trouble free car I ever owned and got 30 MPG on the highway

A Ferriari Testarossa that I have not ever owned but is my dream car which I will never get unless I win the LOTTO!

'79 Toyota Celica.........my first car w/ Jensen Quadrax, Concord amp and Audiovox cassette deck (one that just had FF/eject)

'92 Ford F150........my first truck, stock am/fm stereo

'13 Chevy Camaro SS convertible. .....coolest car I've ever had, JL ZR components, JL Stealthbox subs and HD JL 900/5 amp

I mentioned the stereos since this is in 2 channel.....

Overall:

1) 2011 Range Rover Autobiography

2) 1991 Mitsubishi Montero - I have had many vehicles, but this one was the best.

3) 1967 Mustang fastback 289 4 speed

Trucks:

1) 2011 Superduty Eddie Bauer

2) 1979 Chevy K20 - longbed automatic

3) 1994 GMC Sierra K1500

Sporty:

1) 2002 BMW M3 Cabrio

2) 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder replica

3) 1969 Mustang Mach1 428 super cobrajet

1968 Mecury Couger The car I learned to drive on and still in the family

1979 VW Scirocco The car I really learned how to drive on

1982 Audi GT Coupe The coolest car I ever owned. Long on cool, short on actual performance

87-coupe.jpg

Edited by tromprof

"three important cars"

1966 chevy c-10. important because it has to get me to work everyday.

1963 chevy suburban. it performs the same function for my SO.

1963 buick riviera. in case one of the first two fails to perform.

i guess Thebes will have to start a not so important cars thread for me to divulge the rest of my junk.

TR6 a "family" car?? ....the one I own sure ain't...... :wacko:

It is if the kids have left the nest. :D

And your dog is no bigger than a toy poodle....you ain't a family without a dog... :)

We had a German Shepard that used to ride with my wife in her Miata. Surely that can't be much bigger then a TR6. Heck the dog sat higher in the seat then she did. And if there was 3 of us in there the dog got to ride on my lap.

John

Edited by Taz

The one and only important car in my life was; A 1997Pontiac Trans-Am bodied, full funny car cage, slipjoint sfi 25.1{I think} tube chassis built by Murf McKinney in Indiana. The motor was a surplus Brad Anderson Engineering 526 ci. Hemi with a 14.1 PSI Screw Blower on it. It was a Top Alcohol{Methanol}

fed motor, previously run in a Nitro methane powered Top Fuel Funny Car. To bring it down to Top Alcohol regulations, we bolted one plug hole in

each cylinder {Top Fuel, CH3NO2} Motors need to run 2 spark plugs per hole and 2 44 magnum MSD alternators, so we tossed one of those too.

The rods were Fuel Rods, much thicker than Alky rods and as I said, we kept the Fuel heads. They were older BAE style heads, not the high flow "Fat Heads" of today. The crank was also the much heavier Top Fuel design, I believe it was a Bryant, but not 100% sure. The pistons were made by Veniola, rings by Total Seal, blower belts by Gates, anodized fittings/hoses by Aeroquip, and clutch discs and floaters by Bonifonte. Wheels were American Racing,

front runners, Goodyear. Rear slicks, Hoosier. Rear end, a Top Loader by Strange Engineering, carbon fiber head wrap, fitted to the top and sides of the chromoly rollcage to keep a self destructing 6 psi rear slick from entering the drivers compartment, head inserts inside the cage by ISP, and the fire retardant molded seat insert by ISP as well, I think.

Titanium Clutch Can {bellhousing} by Trick Titanium, Injector hat, carbon fiber, by Jeff Burnett Racing, computer by Racepac, and the boring stuff, Oil pan -Moroso, 70 weight oil by Brad Penn, it was green and contained graphite{?} which made t much heavier than other oils, rod bearings, clevite, plugs were champion, used only for 1 1/4 mile pass. Oh, normally the 17 quarts of oil were only used for 1 pass also, unless it was a clean pass, and I found NO aluminium shavings in the pan. If so, we would re-heat the oil, which came out a milky white due to Alcohol blow by caused by pegging the motor @ 7 grand when in the beams, attempting to cut a .06 or better light. How could I forget this, transmission, a 3 speed Lenco, shifted @ 6500 RPM by hitting

the air shifter on the left half of the carbon fiber butterfly steering wheel, to reach second{If the left front wheel rose off the ground here.... you were on a good one}, and then again at 6500 rpm (The MSD Shift Light was in your face) to reach third, bring 3rd to near redline, your VERY close to the 1/4 mile beams, reach up, pull the Simpson Chutes, hope the laundry "Hits" just as you break the finish beams, Kill fuel pump {Plueger}, kill the electronics, and

if all goes well, coast onto the last turnoff, where your team drives up, kills the computer, one guy hops on the scooter to have the racepack data already

uploading into the laptop as the crew tows the car to the scales and the driver gets on the scales holding his $4000 Carbon Fiber helmet and HANS Device

while the Team holds it's collective breath hoping the Car/Driver combo are above the minimum 2350 lbs. If so, off to the Fuel Check guys, usually smokers, to check the alcohol with a hydrometer, JUST to make sure nobody snuck a percent or 3 of Nitromethane in the tank B) . for an extra 5 or6 out of the 3200 horsepower already made by the methanol. Then back to your pit to strip the motor, except the blower{Too friggin heavy}, drain the oil, nre K and N filter, pull and grind clutch plates and floaters, interpret Racepack data, send the scooter guy, me, to the line with an infa-red thermomator to check current Launch Pad temps {Hottest I ever saw was 140}, Mic the rod bearings, more wear in one hole will agree with the racepac data that EGT {Exhaust Gas Temp} of that hole was maybe 1700 degrees as opposed to an ideal 12-1400 degrees, so using you jet kit, you add fuel to THAT ONE hole only, and try your best to equalize the temps in all 8. Also, that hot hole will show a darker plug while the others will look VERY similar.

Then, put it all back together, fire up, check for even warming, no leaks at least 120 psi oil pressure. Put last 2 quarts of oil in w/ STP, top off fuel, check slick tire pressure, adjust valves and clutch spacing, depending on a. Track Temp. 2. Track conditions{Anyone put a rod thru the block in the lane you are running in and dump 17 qts of oil?}, and the all telling computer that is capable of measuring nearly 1000 different parameters, load up the tools in the back of the pickup, tow the car to the lanes, while the driver uses the facilities to vomit, and everyone meets in the lanes. The selected "Rabbits Foot is toil by the driver to dress him, put on the HANS device pull it tight, help driver get into Funny Car {No easy Task}, attach the 6 point harness, and retighten each

time the pickup moves closer to the line. Put him in the waterbox, watch the burnout, back the driver back into the hoy, sticky tracks he just made, wave him to within 6 inches of setting off the top blue bulb, look at opposing crew chief, agree both sides are set by nodding, bang on the hood, point at the driver, mouth "It's ALL YOU", drivers play head games while staging, get bitched at by Mark Lyle, Chief Starter for NHRA, pre-stage, bring motor to 6500

rpm, fully stage wait for the 3 amber bulbs to light at the same time, and dump the clutch as soon as you see Amber. If you wait to see green, you just lost.

Math gurus were brought in to calculate the speed of light and they now time the tree so IF YOU definitely see amber, you mathematically can not redlight.

Then the fans stand up, cheer on their favorite driver {Fast Jack Beckman} and listen to the track announcers play by play thru the tracks very fine P.A. System, created by.... Klipsch. :D