cork turntable mats

The Dude

Something about coupling the mat to the table better, along with coupling the record to the mat better. Which it must make the sound better, but the way these guys talk about it around the web it seems like it would make it a hole other system, like wow I can't believe I didn't spend this kind of money on this upgrade years ago.

I've been thinking about throwing the MMF cork mat on my RP-1 because I hate that my felt one always wants to stick to my records! (Static electricity I'm sure) plus $50 is a lot cheaper than what I really want (Funk Firm Achroplat) :blink: Would seem :wacko: to put a $299 platter on a $445 table!

I was thinking one could just find the same thickness from like a hobby lobby, or auto parts store. That way you don't spend the 50 on a mat, unless you think the cheap version was good the the expensive version will be better.

It's a cheap experiment to make. Go to Michael's or any palce that sells it, and buy some cork shelf liner. Cut two equal pieces. Cutout a circle the size of the record label in one, remove backing and attach to other piece. Trim outside edges into a circle and for $10 bucks you are good to go. I've done it but noticed little, if any, difference.

I've tried many mats. The best combination I have found is using an origin live mat sitting on any acrylic platter as the mat provides super grip and improves the timing and transients. It also did wonders in eradicating static. An acrylic platter mat on top of the original rubber also works with my Garrard GT250 despite the fact there is no VTA adjustment and the Technics EPC270 rides slightly low at the back. Tried cork on a number of turntables but it didn't work as well for me as introducing acrylic in the sandwich.

I've tried that... and while it does indeed sound good, it's not even in the same ball park as my analog set up, even with all the pop cracks snaps and clicks.

then again, I don't have an uber expensive DAC either... I will have to try one sometime, because I must have thousands of cd's

I've tried that... and while it does indeed sound good, it's not even in the same ball park as my analog set up, even with all the pop cracks snaps and clicks.

then again, I don't have an uber expensive DAC either... I will have to try one sometime, because I must have thousands of cd's

That Oppo of yours should be more than sufficient.

The best improvement I've found for my turntable performance is by not using a turntable and going strictly digital. :emotion-14:

Ah yes, the old 'lazy man's' solution...

The best improvements I've found for my ~32 year old Technics SL7 turntable are;

-a complete overhaul, lube, & replacement of every capacitor (29) on the PCB

-dynamat damping material under the platter

-when our brilliant forum bretheren figure it out -- a static/cleaning solution for LPs

-new Grado Prestige Gold-1 cart

post-28997-0-87980000-1387561625_thumb.j

post-28997-0-24100000-1387561683_thumb.j

post-28997-0-08780000-1387561730_thumb.j

Cleaning, relubing are a must, I just had this done to my Dual. That thing works like a robot, I hear barely if any snap crackle pops. I have all so thought about the dynamat, another one that was done to a couple I have seen. I must say I don't feel the need for any improvements, but like Thebes said its cheap enough so why not give it a try.