Vertical Cornwalls: Should Squawker and Tweeter be Inboard or Outboard?

landru

Hi,

This is a bit difficult to describe so please bear with me...

I just received a pair of vintage Cornwall II's (commonly referred to as "verticals" I believe). Neither speaker indicates which one should be the left or the right, just that the woofer should be always be as close to the floor in either vertical or horizontal mode, suggested by the directional arrows on the back.

Since these are "verticals" and in their vertical placement, one speaker has the squawker and tweeter installed more to the left side of the cabinet, while the other has them installed more to the right.

I have them up such that the squawkers and tweeters are as far apart as possible (outboard rather than swapping both speakers and having them inboard) as suggested from pictures on the web. Is this the correct recommended setup?

Whichever sounds best to you! If they are on the outside, you might get more reflections off of your side walls, if they are close to the walls... But it may sound better to you and give you a nicer sound stage. Other than going to the trouble of moving them, you can try both.

Bruce

Glad you brought this one up Landru as I've been wanting to ask Vertical owners if they ever lay the Vert's on their sides (guess the horns would not be vertical then) and if so do they use risers? You could still have the inboard/outboard option. I've recently been given a old pair of vertical cabinets and I'm thinking I'd like mine to lay vertical.

Edited by kaiser SET say

I used to say whatever sounds good to you but I think placing them outboard will get you closer to proper time alignment of the drivers. Wall reflections could be treated. I think your seating position, distance from speakers and distance between speakers will influence your perception of which sounds best.

In 1968 they had optional 2" risers for $14 to lay them on their sides. I have a pair that a previous owner even turned the pie logos so they would be upright when the speakers where on their sides. Personally, I think the drivers sound better when they are vertically aligned.

Check out those prices in 1968!

post-36269-0-34900000-1386989266_thumb.j

post-36269-0-50100000-1386989288_thumb.j