Old School Dual 1019 restored and spinning!

ajoker2c

I couldn't find my old thread since the site switchover,

In July I was walking home and stumbled across a local estate sale going on and scored a walnut veneered custom console that had a Marantz 2225 and Dual 1019 TT with an Empire 150 Cart with stylus with plenty of life left that was sitting idle for over 20 years. I bought it for 40 or 60 dollars (can't remember) and carried it home 2 city blocks. I dismantled it as my woodworking friend said it was too done in to restore.

I cleaned and deoxit the Marantz and is now working beautifully in the bedroom where I placed it in a 1969 Teak Normande console (that works but needs a little work done) and I replaced the original drivers with rb61's (that i bought cheap with rough cabinets) they slid in place almost perfectly. The Dual 1010 works but needs to be relubed.

Anyway, I took the 1019 base template from the original console to my woodworking buddy and he was excited to put together a new walnut plinth for the 1019. While he worked on it I had the 1019 refurbished and cleaned it up. Here is some pics of the 1019 in it's new home!

Total cost of the 1019 about 100$ for wood supplies and TT (free labour ;) )

Just thought I'd share

Forgot to include that the Normande console (which I paid 140.00 for) had this Telefunken Reel to Reel in it which I think I'm going to test out on my 2 channel set up at some point, but I have no knowledge of R2R, but does work.

post-47930-0-99860000-1386960741_thumb.j

post-47930-0-39660000-1386960854_thumb.j

post-47930-0-79340000-1386960879_thumb.j

post-47930-0-73300000-1386960907_thumb.j

post-47930-0-54460000-1386960976_thumb.j

post-47930-0-16180000-1386960991_thumb.j

post-47930-0-89380000-1386961021_thumb.j

post-47930-0-46860000-1386961823_thumb.j

Edited by ajoker2c
  • Like 1

These are great units. I have two that are in need of a good going over.

I can remember when my dad first bought one and the salesman demonstrated the unit by holding the turntable almost on its side and it could still play a record.

• Like 1

Luv the plinth aj2, that was my first table B) Had a little electronic repair shop put a 5 pin DIN on it to go into my Grundig shortwave head unit :)

My 2nd table after a Kyrocera p701 that sounds wonderful as well. I'm struggling to let it go now and will probably hold onto it.

These are great units. I have two that are in need of a good going over.

I can remember when my dad first bought one and the salesman demonstrated the unit by holding the turntable almost on its side and it could still play a record.

What carts do you have on them? I have an extra carrier and just bought a Shure M97xE for spare and using the old Empire 150 and it sound fantastic. I have an extra Ortofon om 20 as well.

I saw that in the manual where you can tilt this TT but with the new plinth around 25 lbs I'll pass on that test lol

Very nice work indeed. I would love to get a good deal on a Dual 1019 or Dual 1229 and refurbish it. I think these are very nice idler wheel drive turntables. I have many fond memories growing up and hearing my uncles playing LPs on their Dual turntables.

Check the condition of the bearings if the TT needs to be re-lubed. A good soak and cleaning of moving parts in lighter fluid always helps. Also, use the recommended lubricants.

I did a complete teardown, clean-up, re-lube and rebuild of this Kenwood PC-400U belt-idler wheel drive turntable from the late-1960s. The bearing thrust plates were shot and I fabricated new ones from high wear, low friction Delrin (white discs). I used metal polishing compound to polish the spindles and bearings for the platter and the idler wheel. I used Rubber Renew on the rubber idler wheel to get it nice and rubbery again. I also rebuilt the original, stock Jelco SA-100 tonearm and rewired it using Cardas 33 gauge tonearm wire. The turntable is built a lot like a Thorens TD124, and now serves as my main turntable--lots of that good idler wheel magic.

post-38086-0-20060000-1386980925_thumb.j

post-38086-0-50020000-1386980962_thumb.j

post-38086-0-18900000-1386980981_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice Joker, I think I remember the thread you posted when you picked this up. Did you clean and relube yourself or send it out to someone, which ever it looks nice. I watched a video how these things can work, seems to be very precise like a robot. I just sent my 1019 out to fixmydual.com last week, should see it back in a week or so. I to am building a new plinth/base for mine as it will go in my Bozak cabinet. I was going to buy the same Shure cart you did, but when I talked to Bill at fix my dual. I decided on a Shure V15 mark 2 as he stated that the weight of that vs others would have better results. Congrats again nice looking system. I have a Shure V15 mark 3 on my Thorens TD-166 mk2 and it sounds very nice. I can't wait to compare these 2 tables.

Very nice Joker, I think I remember the thread you posted when you picked this up. Did you clean and relube yourself or send it out to someone, which ever it looks nice. I watched a video how these things can work, seems to be very precise like a robot. I just sent my 1019 out to fixmydual.com last week, should see it back in a week or so. I to am building a new plinth/base for mine as it will go in my Bozak cabinet. I was going to buy the same Shure cart you did, but when I talked to Bill at fix my dual. I decided on a Shure V15 mark 2 as he stated that the weight of that vs others would have better results. Congrats again nice looking system. I have a Shure V15 mark 3 on my Thorens TD-166 mk2 and it sounds very nice. I can't wait to compare these 2 tables.

Thanks duder! I did clean it to the best of my limited ability , but brought it in to a qualified guy close to me to relubed everything necessary. He had to realign the idler wheel slightly as it wasn't keeping speed consistently. Everything runs beautifully now :)

I won't see my friend who built plinth till after new years, but I doubt he documented anything doing it. It is beautiful and heavy (approx 25 lbs). If you wanna see a shot of undercarriage let me kow and I'll snap a few.

I have extra carrier so I just picked up the m97xe from guy who refurbished it. I have the original on it now it's an Empire 150 and tracks great it seems. I also have a Stanton 500mkii that needs new stylus, so doing homework on suitable match for that as well.

Good luck with yours! I love this one and fits right into the old school look I was going for.

very nice work!!!

personally, I dnt think we see enough consoles any more.

I'll get it restored eventually , but putting the Marantz and the rb61's in there sounds fantastic. I just turn on the Normande when I showed some friends so it looks like it's playing with the Marantz tucked away underneath....lol

The teak looks wonderful and is a solid unit

• 1 month later...

Nice what record clamp is that, I sometimes wonder if they are worth giving a try.

I found it on Canuckaudiomart from a guy in Montreal. It is a custom one built with lead cylinder in middle. It is a lot heavier then the one that came with my Kyocera turntable. I can certainly see it flatten out Lp's but uncertain if I hear any sonic differences. Just looks cool spinning !

Duder, my friend did not take pictures during the Plinth build, but I can take some of the under carriage at some point. The plinth is around 25lbs total.

:emotion-21: Big thumbs up.

I love the wood plinth and cases. Really classes up the equipment.

Thanks, it was the old school look I was going for since getting into 2 channel and getting my first McIntosh with walnut case as it looked classy. I just built the system around it being patient. I paid a little more then I wanted for the breadbox dustcover, but after seeing it I'm glad I did as it looks great!