JBL 2226hpl

The Dude

Are these good for anything, there is a person near by with 4 for sale. Maybe a dual 15 bass bin or something. If so what are they worth.

I don't know.

If they are "private label" ("PL") why do they have the JBL emblem on the back? Maybe the seller used a picture they found online.

I wonder if these are musical instrument loudspeakers. Probably are. As I remember, the enclosure you put such speakers in makes a huge difference. They should be O.K. to about 50 Hz ???? In the ideal enclosure, they will go lower. The biggest caution might be whether they have had too much power put through them.

Try the Lansing Heritage website.

Edited by Garyrc

Are these good for anything, there is a person near by with 4 for sale. Maybe a dual 15 bass bin or something. If so what are they worth.

I don't know.

If they are "private label" ("PL") why do they have the JBL emblem on the back? Maybe the seller used a picture they found online.

I wonder if these are musical instrument loudspeakers. Probably are. As I remember, the enclosure you put such speakers in makes a huge difference. They should be O.K. to about 50 Hz ???? In the ideal enclosure, they will go lower. The biggest caution might be whether they have had too much power put through them.

Try the Lansing Heritage website.

I know when you search for them you only come up with 2226h/j. But when you go to ebay they are all over on there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-2226HPL-8-OHMS-SPEAKERS-/231113359228?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item35cf6dff7c

The label looks like a JBL label.

PL are used in JBL all JBL complete speakers, the ones sold as raw drivers don't have the PL designation. PL generally lack the finishing touches, rubber magnet tire, aluminum serial number plate, etc.

40hz is about it for those drivers, unless you want to build a tapped horn for them, in which case they can go below 30hz.

Make sure they work right and have genuine JBL cones in them, otherwise buy the Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF-2.

As far as I remember the specs. they would be good for bass reflex or horn loading down to about 50-60 Hz. But their low Qts would suggest great response near the midbass/midrange

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 7 years later...

I'm considering these JBL 2226HPL for the dual woofer portion of ChrisA's MEH design.  Brand new, the 2226H go for $500. I see that Speaker Exchange has the 2226HPL brand new for $290/ea, "they have the same spec as the 2226H" per the website and their customer service team.  That would be quite a cost savings to go with the HPL.  I'm curious if anyone can speak to differences between the "H" and "HPL"?

1 hour ago, mikld said:

I'm considering these JBL 2226HPL for the dual woofer portion of ChrisA's MEH design.  Brand new, the 2226H go for $500. I see that Speaker Exchange has the 2226HPL brand new for $290/ea, "they have the same spec as the 2226H" per the website and their customer service team.  That would be quite a cost savings to go with the HPL.  I'm curious if anyone can speak to differences between the "H" and "HPL"?

My friendly advice is to go with drivers either recommended by Chris in his design, or as close in specification as possible. There are various reasons for his recommendations, and suggested geometry and placement.

Good luck with your project

• Thanks 1