Matching stereo receiver to my new RF 62 Speakers !

Rookie

New avr power is good imo (unless its some cheap 200ish unit). The main problem with them for 2ch is in the set up. If someone runs a auto set up and uses that to run 2ch music it will sound imo pretty bad.Whats good for movies is not that great for 2ch. If you run pure direct then its no EQ and imo thats not that great unless you have a perfect room and speakers. IMO an EQ is a must for 2ch music. I know some will argue that but i need to tune it to what my ears like. And its never no eq. Just a little bump or dip here and their to get it right.

Even back when i had all old silver kenwood amps and integrated amps i still needed a EQ to get it to sound really good. The bass, treble, and loudness switch/nobs just wasn't enough for my taste.

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

Great, thanks Bill. I've been looking to maybe get a different pre for my 2 channel rig, and something that also has a remote =P

I started with a B&K pre for my 2ch. But it has no EQ so i got a emotiva umc-1. I like my B&K amp over the emo amp But the umc has a nice EQ and sounds a lot better than the B&K. The best part it cost me around 250 used on ebay. I was shocked how good it sounds. Really impressive.

EQ is a band aid for people too lazy to put together a system that gets it right on it's own. It can be done.

Great, thanks Bill. I've been looking to maybe get a different pre for my 2 channel rig, and something that also has a remote =P

I started with a B&K pre for my 2ch. But it has no EQ so i got a emotiva umc-1. I like my B&K amp over the emo amp But the umc has a nice EQ and sounds a lot better than the B&K. The best part it cost me around 250 used on ebay. I was shocked how good it sounds. Really impressive.

EQ is a band aid for people too lazy to put together a system that gets it right on it's own. It can be done.

And thats a pretty rude statement by the way. Not cool

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

Come on Shakey, that is a little presumptuous don't you think?

But you are correct with "it can be done". A good source, with good amplification, driving good speakers, in a good room, will get it right.

Bill

• Like 2

I dont agree with the whole "EQ" is for lazy people thing or the fact that an audiofile setup have no bass and treble control and I for sure am not going to put things on my walls and ceilings to get the sound correct for sure....not to mention all recordings are different so how can you not use at the very least a bass and treble control? guess Im lazy too

• Like 1

I dont agree with the whole "EQ" is for lazy people thing or the fact that an audiofile setup have no bass and treble control and I for sure am not going to put things on my walls and ceilings to get the sound correct for sure....not to mention all recordings are different so how can you not use at the very least a bass and treble control? guess Im lazy too

Some people are stubborn and don't care. Its only their way case closed. And thats fine but geez no reason to call people lazy just because they use eq.

My cornwalls sound way better eq then no eq. I mean they eq when they record. They eq when they play live shows.They eq their instruments. Why would it all of a sudden stop in someone home lol.

If the steak tastes better to you with steak sauce use it lol

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 2

Some people are stubborn and don't care. Its only their way case closed. And thats fine but geez no reason to call people lazy just because they don't use it.

My cornwalls sound way better eq then no eq. I mean they eq when they record. They eq when they play live shows.They eq their instruments. Why would it all of a sudden stop in someone home lol.

+A1

But you are correct with "it can be done". A good source, with good amplification, driving good speakers, in a good room, will get it right.

Bill

Exactly, it can be done.

Shakey

Bill

Exactly, it can be done.

Shakey

So whats your point? That don't mean it can't sound better with an eq. In fact i would bet that your system could be tweaked with an EQ to improve its sound and measurements.

Some people are stubborn and don't care. Its only their way case closed. And thats fine but geez no reason to call people lazy just because they don't use it.

WHOA WHOA WAIT....you cannot put steak sauce on a steak that is just wrong!! can ya sense the sarcasm.....lol....I am a guitar player and I have very high end tube amps and they all have tone controls on them.....3 actually.....high low and mid.....so I am not buying this ya can get it right stuff but to each his own...matter of fact the BEST mesa boogie amps have EQ's on them

Edited by quakana
  • Like 1

Do what you like. Less electronics in the chain, the better. But that's just me. This is coming from a two channel, tube lovin, vinyl clinging fanatic. I know I am in the minority on this forum.

Shakey

Bill

Exactly, it can be done.

Shakey

So whats your point? That don't mean it can't sound better with an eq. In fact i would bet that your system could be tweaked with an EQ to improve its sound and measurements.

+A1

Lol tasdom your one of the funniest dudes i know.

Why even consider stereo receivers if music is important. You could do much better with a good integrated or separates later on. Receivers are for the Best Buy crowd, be better than that.

Shakey

hmmm more disrespectful bs to anyone on this forum who owns a receiver. I own a lot of stuff including receivers none of it is from best buy. I think you need to learn a little common courtesy there shakey.