Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
T'was cold and very clear last night.....

Good shot, I have tried some but not with results like that. What mm lens is that ?

We should start adding F stop, mm, speed and iso so everyone can see what it took to get shots, when possible.......(not directed at you Oldenough just in general)

I have all my pics on a external hard drive and copied on disc, I sometimes just look through the drive and look at the properties of different pics. It kind of gives you the idea of what you were thinking or trying to do at the time and give you different ideas to try.

My favorite bird...What is it about Chickadees?

[click pic for larger image]

That's a Chestnut-Backed Chicadee. Chicadee's and Nuthatches red and white breasted and Pine Siskins are so bold and entertaining. You can get them all to come and eat out of your hand or out of your hat. I have a old hat with a rim on the top so I can workoutside or sit with a bunch of peanuts up there and the rim keeps them from falling off and the birds will perch up there and eat the nuts and come back for more.Thanks for posting your pictures. Best regards Moray James.

T'was cold and very clear last night.....

Good shot, I have tried some but not with results like that. What mm lens is that ?

We should start adding F stop, mm, speed and iso so everyone can see what it took to get shots, when possible.......(not directed at you Oldenough just in general)

I have all my pics on a external hard drive and copied on disc, I sometimes just look through the drive and look at the properties of different pics. It kind of gives you the idea of what you were thinking or trying to do at the time and give you different ideas to try.

Hi Dtel,, shot that with Sony a77, 70-300 f4.5-5.6 G (superb lens).Don't know why the EXIF data doesn't show when we post photo's here, but here's my settings: ISO 200, 1/30sec, f7.1, 300mm, camera on tripod, steady shot turned off (always do this when shooting on a tripod), and using remote shutter release, or 2 second delay if you don't have a remote, this will reduce vibrations to a minimum.

Edited by oldenough

That's a Chestnut-Backed Chicadee. Chicadee's and Nuthatches red and white breasted and Pine Siskins are so bold and entertaining. You can get them all to come and eat out of your hand or out of your hat. I have a old hat with a rim on the top so I can workoutside or sit with a bunch of peanuts up there and the rim keeps them from falling off and the birds will perch up there and eat the nuts and come back for more.Thanks for posting your pictures. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks Moray, sure would like to see a photo of you feeding the birds that way... :D

• Moderators
Hi Dtel,, shot that with Sony a77, 70-300 f4.5-5.6 G (superb lens).Don't know why the EXIF data doesn't show when we post photo's here, but here's my settings: ISO 200, 1/30sec, f7.1, 300mm, camera on tripod, steady shot turned off (always do this when shooting on a tripod), and using remote shutter release, or 2 second delay if you don't have a remote, this will reduce vibrations to a minimum.

Thanks I like to see how different people use the different combinations of settings.

I knew nothing about the sony so I went and read about it, cool camera with many nice features.

When we get a good night I will have to try again, around here it seems like the clearest times are either very late at night or very early morning and after a cold front that clears out everything, moisture/dampness or maby the humidity makes it tough to really have it really clear sometimes. I tend to not go much if it's very cold and very late, hopefully will get some chances between now and summer without freezing.

Nice picture

Went into an aviary in a zoo with Pendleton straw hat. Birds all over me pulling straw out of the hat and no camera. Some lady was having a good time taking pictures though.

This guy scared me half to death yesterday, although I'm sure I did the same for him (her?). Canon 60D, f5.6, ISO 800 (nearly 6 pm, overcast), 300mm focal length, exp 1/80 sec.

tumblr_n0r6hj8RdP1sk6o82o1_r5_500.jpg

Wow! nice, nice shot Amy, did it hang around or did you just manage to grab the shot?

Edited by oldenough

• Moderators

Thanks! He was pretty patient with me as I crept up, but he had a jumpy little friend with him who kept running around. They didn't stick around too long.

I followed them for a little while, watching them play without taking photos. Then I froze to death.

:)