Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

Nice picture, I like his pose, he probably heard the shutter click with those ears pointing at you. Does that lens have vibration reduction, 30mm at 1/80 is sometimes tough to get a sharp picture, especially if your hurrying and caught off guard. Either way well done.

I ask because the 70-300 I use has VR and I have experimented with different shutter speeds with it on and off so see how much it really works. I have to say it's pretty amazing how much it helps, I was impressed, I try pics I would otherwise not without the VR.

• Moderators

Thanks dtel!

Yes, the lens has image stabilization. I won't bother shooting without it - it's well worth the extra money to me.

This is my favorite pic I've taken with it. I'm still amazed by how detailed it is for a "bargain" lens at 300mm.

Not the best ever, but definitely enough for my purposes.

tumblr_mzb53g7giR1sk6o82o1_500.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
Yes, the lens has image stabilization. I won't bother shooting without it - it's well worth the extra money to me. This is my favorite pic I've taken with it. I'm still amazed by how detailed it is for a "bargain" lens at 300mm. Not the best ever, but definitely enough for my purposes.

I really like the stabilization also, I leave it on unless it's on a tripod.

Bargain is great if it can take a pic like that. The last lens I got is the cheapest lens Nikon makes and it is the sharpest one I have, it's a 50mm which on my Dx camera works like roughly a 70mm. It's a f1.8 with autofocus and was $125 new with the Nikon 5 year warranty, I wish my 70-300 was this sharp.

We have 24 of these on top of the hill where I live. Gamesa G87 2.0 MW wind turbines.

Tower is 256 feet tall, blades are 139 feet long, the nacelle (the pod where the 3 blades attach) weighs approx. 85 tons. Total turbine height from foundation to blade tip approx. 398 feet. :mellow: chris

attachicon.gifP1000770.JPG attachicon.gifP1000773.JPG

Id like to hook one up to my tuber amp.

• Like 1

Bet they are really moving with a strong cold front or other high winds, never seen one in person

Actually the blades rotate about the same speed regardless of the wind. The blades change pitch with wind speed changes. They also always point into the wind as the top rotates. The day I hiked up was not very windy and some were stopped. Then I watched one start up. It was quite a sight!

P1000768_zpsd094e313.jpg

Edited by mach-1

OMG big. The "little" 2MW turbines we have are housed in a 85 ton nacelle. The 8MW turbine in those you posted are in a 390 ton nacelle, that is quite a big- rig for sure!

Edited by mach-1